Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:20 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,047 times

Advertisements

We have a formal dining room. We eat all dinners there, and breakfast, when we eat as a family. We do not use it for lunch. We play games, do crafts, and hold our board meetings in there. Many people I know seem to always have a gazillion piece puzzle being slowly put together on their dining room table. ai live in fear of what my reaction will be if someone requests to do that [ I am big-time Clutter phobic]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 10:00 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,982,226 times
This house has one, but we turned into another seating room. We made it a dining room when we first moved in, but I just didn't like the boxed in feeling.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:20 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
I am buying a house tomorrow/today!! (now that I look at the time) that has a formal dining that I am turning into an office (really it is my fru-fru internet and recipe fun place). There is a family room with a fireplace that will be our dining room and I am putting a farmhouse table in it. There is still a living room and another huge family/gathering room. I am bringing cocktail and dinner parties back along with extended family dinners! I can't wait!

Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Our last home had a dining room which was rarely used. This home has a large eat in kitchen. We still eat in the family room a lot.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I am buying a house tomorrow/today!! (now that I look at the time) that has a formal dining that I am turning into an office (really it is my fru-fru internet and recipe fun place). There is a family room with a fireplace that will be our dining room and I am putting a farmhouse table in it. There is still a living room and another huge family/gathering room. I am bringing cocktail and dinner parties back along with extended family dinners! I can't wait!
Good for you in making your new house your home. Rooms are made to be used, and however we choose to use them is OK by me.

Best wishes on moving to your new home. May it be filled with happy times.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times
We have the basics. No extra rooms. House built in 1920.

No i wouldnt look for a house with extra rooms.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Sorry folks but the dining room is a remnant of days past. I don't want a dining room in my next house. It's a waste of space for me and a lot of others also. I love an open floor plan and maybe the only time I wouldn't like an open plan is with a house full of kids. Most of us empty nesters don't have a lot of family dinners at our house anymore.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Sorry folks but the dining room is a remnant of days past. I don't want a dining room in my next house. It's a waste of space for me and a lot of others also. I love an open floor plan and maybe the only time I wouldn't like an open plan is with a house full of kids. Most of us empty nesters don't have a lot of family dinners at our house anymore.
Speak for yourself.

Most new construction homes where I live have formal dining spaces, even if it's an open floor plan (then they have two dining spaces - one in the kitchen as well as the formal dining room).

We have a formal dining room and even though we're empty nesters, we host family dinners as well as other get togethers in our house and we use that formal dining room often.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Lots of generalizations here. We do use our dining area/room. We also have an open plan house, although the dining area is a dedicated dining area. We are retired. I do not consider dining rooms old-fashioned. Some of us do have people into our homes.

I do think that a an unused dining room could easily be repurposed.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:53 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I have an open floor plan with a dedicated dining area that fits my table where I can add the leaves and comfortably seat 12 (with smaller chairs, it would be more than that). My son and I eat at the dining room table every day, because it's the only place we have to eat. I host dinners for the extended family and friends several times a year.

This was new construction I bought 3 years ago, and it was an option to have them remove a wall so that I had this dining space, vs. having that be a separate closed off den/office. Most people who bought this model do have that area walled off as a separate room and they use what I have as my living room as a combined living room/dining area. But I would not have bought this house if it didn't have the separate large dining area where I could comfortably fit my dining room furniture and the people I like to entertain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating