Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2017, 01:29 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,435,574 times

Advertisements

We have some rot in the kitchen & it goes into the bathroom. We can't afford 7K or more to pay someone to do it for us. I've watched videos on how to and while it doesn't look that hard it does look like it might be a tedious project.

Help please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 01:33 PM

17,421 posts, read 65,620,496 times
Then find someone who can do it for $6k. The question alone screams, "I have no idea what I'm doing!"

Better to do it right by someone who knows what they're doing; than to half-ass it/DIY it into a disaster.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM

10,049 posts, read 6,329,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We have some rot in the kitchen & it goes into the bathroom. We can't afford 7K or more to pay someone to do it for us. I've watched videos on how to and while it doesn't look that hard it does look like it might be a tedious project.

Help please.
Sure. you need to remove all the "surface" floor covering in both rooms. Next, you need to remove the underlayment, such as plywood sheets, etc. Then you have to check the joists for rot. If the joists are rotten, they have to be replaced, or at the least, "sistered". Then you will have a good opportunity to install a better vapor barrier in your crawlspace if you have one. If you have a basement, it should be easier, except for ensuring that you have a sufficient number of adequate supports to hold up the floor. By the time you get to these steps, you'll have realized that you should have hired an expert in the first place.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,435,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Then find someone who can do it for $6k. The question alone screams, "I have no idea what I'm doing!"

Better to do it right by someone who knows what they're doing; than to half-ass it/DIY it into a disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Sure. you need to remove all the "surface" floor covering in both rooms. Next, you need to remove the underlayment, such as plywood sheets, etc. Then you have to check the joists for rot. If the joists are rotten, they have to be replaced, or at the least, "sistered". Then you will have a good opportunity to install a better vapor barrier in your crawlspace if you have one. If you have a basement, it should be easier, except for ensuring that you have a sufficient number of adequate supports to hold up the floor. By the time you get to these steps, you'll have realized that you should have hired an expert in the first place.

So that's a no.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 PM

17,421 posts, read 65,620,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So that's a no.

What's a no? The help? Or, you're now realizing that it's not something you should tackle?

I'm not far from NC, I might do it for $6k- but the airline ticket and hotel bill will probably put you over $7k.

On a more serious note- call several contractors; have them take a look at it and give you quotes. Have you contacted your insurance co? Have they offered a contractor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating