Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:13 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Hey everyone I think this may be the first time I've posted on this particular board here. I'm in the process of purchasing then building a new home. After years of owning large homes with fireplaces and large jetted tubs and formal dining rooms etc. we are in the stage of our life where we want less.

The things I am adamant on not having are
1. formal dining room
2 large master bath tub

The things I don't care about but lean on the side of not wanting are
1. bathtubs in secondary bathrooms
2. fireplace

The fireplaces here are electric and IMO useless. It is just something to decorate and not use. In the design we are working on I'd much rather just continue the built ins we are having done.

Bathtubs. We don't use them. We prefer showers. Although I can see for resale purposes where having a tub would be a selling feature. Especially for young families who use them to bathe small kids. The realtor we are working with is pretty adamant and strongly cautioning us against both of these. I can see having one tub somewhere in the house. Still not convinced on the fireplace. I feel like not having a fireplace won't make or break selling the house in the future. Design trends are moving away from the traditional fireplace as well.

Would you buy a home that doesn't have a tub? A fireplace?
No and no. I'm in the (sorta) young family demographic. No tubs would be a MAJOR no no for me and I wouldn't purchase the house. I like tubs, preferably jetted. If not jetted, then deep soaker ones. We have a nice sized shower remodeled too, so it's not an either or thing..I'd want a shower and a tub. I use the secondary bath tubs for kids. I like fireplaces. Even if I don't actively use mine it looks very nice aesthetically and gives the family room a cozy feel, especially since it has a massive traditional mantel. No fireplace is a dealbreaker. WE owned a home prior to this one that didn't have one (new construction) and I hated that decision from the onset. I also wouldn't get a home that had a small master tub either...maybe a fellow empty nester is who you'd target when its time to sell. I will say that even when the kids are gone, I'd rather not give up my current home but will probably have to because of the arthritis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,335,073 times
Definitely have at least one tub in the house.

Fireplaces aren't as important in the larger scheme of things.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:10 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
If you care about resale, the safe answer is to keep the tub and the fireplace. But if it was me, I would get the features I want in a house and not worry about resale. After all if you like those features then some other buyer will like them too.

On a related note--when I saw the thread title I thought this was going to be about ultra luxurious bathrooms that have a fire place next to a jacuzzi tub. Not at all what the OP was trying to say, but I couldn't l;et this tempting concept pass. That would be my dream master bath. Talk about something grand to have!!!

Old 06-16-2017, 12:21 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I did not understand that it was an electric or none fireplace. I thought you were just commenting on what was there. That changes everything. Skip it.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:47 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
To me, a tub is a must! We bought a house without a tub and the first thing we did was put one in. If there wasn't a way that we could put one in, we would have passed. For me, that is priority.

A fireplace is nice added bonus but not a deal breaker. In our last house, we were thinking of putting in a wood stove and tried to figure out how we could do it and came to the conclusion that it couldn't be done in the house. Oh well. Then we bought this house that has FIVE fireplaces. But only one is working-wood burning. We wouldn't put in a gas insert. We like wood burning.

Cat

Old 06-16-2017, 02:51 PM

492 posts, read 637,833 times
In California we seldom used our fireplace, just not cold enough. In NC we always used our fireplace from beginning of fall through the spring. They (multiple fireplaces) had gas inserts and would warm the room.

I like a large tub in the master. That said, I am not adverse to remodeling a bathroom that doesn't have everything I want. If you really want to cover your bases, have the plumbing available for an bathtub and use that space for a bench, or extra storage.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:34 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I am in favor of NO fireplace. Especially if you are downsizing. Why use up valuable wall and floor space with a stupid throwback to when homes didn't have central heating?

I detest my corner fireplace. It wastes space that I could use for seating. I also agree about those big jetted tubs. I've used mine 3x in 7 years.

I will say that if I could have one of those freestanding soaking tubs, I would perhaps enjoy that.

If you care at all about resale, OP, I think you do need at least one bathtub in a house, for washing kids and dogs. If you don't care about resale then go tubless.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:54 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Halbach View Post
Interesting reading. If I were looking to buy a house...and we will be soon, a wood burning fireplace and a large garden tub would be two MUST HAVE items. I would not buy in an area where I could not use a wood burning fireplace. We love cozy Fall and Winter nights in front of a warm fire. Holidays would be missing something without a warm, inviting hearth. No fireplace would equal no sale from me.

Also, as my body and bones age, a warm evening bath in a garden tub sounds divine. Showers are for quick washing....tubs are for relaxing. Would not buy a house that didn't have a large garden tub.

Your mileage may vary,

G
My sentiments exactly. Sadly, our house does not have a wood-burning fireplace, so we bought an electric one. It is kinda fakey, but it is better than nothing.
However, we have a firepit in the back yard, and a chiminea on the deck, so we can have a fire when we want.
We also have a hot tub on the deck, but I like laying back in the bathtub full of hot water, with a good book. I won't try reading in the hot tub!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:12 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
In California we seldom used our fireplace, just not cold enough. In NC we always used our fireplace from beginning of fall through the spring. They (multiple fireplaces) had gas inserts and would warm the room.

I like a large tub in the master. That said, I am not adverse to remodeling a bathroom that doesn't have everything I want. If you really want to cover your bases, have the plumbing available for an bathtub and use that space for a bench, or extra storage.
Now this is an interesting idea! I planned on having them replace the wall the tub was on with additional cabinetry. I could easily have them included capped off plumbing behind one of those cabinets. Good one!

Old 06-17-2017, 08:15 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My sentiments exactly. Sadly, our house does not have a wood-burning fireplace, so we bought an electric one. It is kinda fakey, but it is better than nothing.
However, we have a firepit in the back yard, and a chiminea on the deck, so we can have a fire when we want.
We also have a hot tub on the deck, but I like laying back in the bathtub full of hot water, with a good book. I won't try reading in the hot tub!
We have contemplated having a wood burning fireplace on our screened in porch. This we would use on cold nights. I would rather do this than have a gas fireplace indoors I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating