Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 02:43 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times

Advertisements

Back splashes
shower tile
Flooring Tiles
woods
Countertops

AND how long before they become dated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 06:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
i confess I don't know the latest trends on any of these. The the answer to your last question is unknowable.

I imagine people thought that stainless steel appliances would be out of style after 20 years, but here we are. They are still in style for many people.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:47 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I don't know either. I just do my thing, to heck what others like.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:06 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I'll give you a general opinion from shopping myself and from home magazines and TV shows. They may not apply in your area, trends are very much regional.

Backsplashes seem to be still mosaic tiles, glass tiles or subway tiles. About 2005, they were mostly tumbled marble faux Tuscan look, so I guess you'd say that had a 10-year lifespan.

Counters are still a lot of granite in certain regions, but mostly quartz and marble have taken over as granite has become too "commonplace". Counters are usually on 10-year cycles at least 0 -- too expensive to replace more often.

Flooring and shower tiles, a lot of people are using the wood-look porcelain tiles in grayish or beige tones, with maybe a mosaic decorative element.

I don't have wood floors so I don't know what kind of wood is popular now.

In kitchen cabinets, white seems to be the rage -- darker cabinets and the dark Tuscan look are dated.

Not saying I'm an expert, but hope that helps somewhat. You can usually get ideas from a good kitchen & bath store.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:35 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
A few thoughts:

Trends tend to last 5-10 years. The easier it is to replace something, the quicker a trend seems to pass.

I'd avoid things that are so trendy you're literally seeing them everywhere. Also, there are subsections of any trend that are especially trendy. For example, in the 90s, granite was trendy, and black granite was especially trendy.

If you don't want to have to keep changing things, I'd avoid those things that become especially trendy. Today granite still looks up to date, but black granite, since it was a defining trend of the 90s, is starting to look dated.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:48 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I dont give a monkeys about trends, if an appliance or piece of furniture still works, isnt faded chipped or torn, its fine by me, if a house is clean and tidy that also works for me.. I dont go round other peoples houses to check on how modern they are.. I dont care... some older fashioned houses are nice to walk into and as I said , serviceable and clean suits me better than up to date new trends...

Old 06-19-2017, 04:09 PM

I think it is OK to look at trends, because there might be something new that you really like. But I do think that for expensive items, it is best for one's pocketbook to buy classic pieces. For kitchens and baths, you will probably buy what is currently popular, because it is new and appealing. But make sure you love it because you will probably be looking at it for a couple of decades.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I put in dark cherry cabinets in my kitchen when I built in 2014. I was definitely on the downside of that trend and it was changing over to white. But while I love white cabinets, I felt that cherry worked better in my open floor plan where the kitchen is one side of the living room.

I figure I have another 10ish years to wait and then my cherry cabinets will be all the rage again!

And that's kind of the general answer, if something is in trend now, it means it's on its way out. But eventually may cycle back in.

Bottom line, pick what YOU like and replace when YOU want something different. If you try to chase trends, you'll always be behind.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:15 PM

61,711 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Back splashes
shower tile
Flooring Tiles
woods
Countertops

AND how long before they become dated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I don't know either. I just do my thing, to heck what others like.
^^^ This! ^^^

Why the obsession? Are you going to replace everything as soon there is another "style/trend"?
Why not have an OWN style? Why every home must look alike to be trendy? Every design trend that gets popular also gets dated, sooner than you think. Why everyone is in a rush to cultivate a design personality instead of developing one?
Most homes nowadays say nothing to me about the owner's style or interests - it only tells me that they follow trends like a gospel. No one just picks something THEY like anymore.

People should learn how to transform a "room" into a home that conveys their personality while making a statement.
Unless your budget allows for redecorating every few years, always err on the side of timeless. Pick classics - clean and simple lines in neutral colors and patterns. Avoid the temptation of spending a lot of money on anything that is super trendy. Invest in trendy ACCENTS - those are easily replaceable as trends change.

Solid wood flooring is timeless. Or classic tile, where appropriate.
A high-end homeowners are usually more well traveled, and therefore more up-to-date on trends. They know that a white kitchen is the most timeless look and that's why its installed over a wood kitchen many times over a wood stained one. And, it doesn't matter how high-end your granite counter-top looks - there's nothing timeless or neutral about it. Expensive does not equal classic and timeless. It's just temporary, trendy, and dated in a few years.

A timeless home means choosing items that make YOU happy, regardless of what is trending right now.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I put in dark cherry cabinets in my kitchen when I built in 2014. I was definitely on the downside of that trend and it was changing over to white. But while I love white cabinets, I felt that cherry worked better in my open floor plan where the kitchen is one side of the living room.

I figure I have another 10ish years to wait and then my cherry cabinets will be all the rage again!

And that's kind of the general answer, if something is in trend now, it means it's on its way out. But eventually may cycle back in.

Bottom line, pick what YOU like and replace when YOU want something different. If you try to chase trends, you'll always be behind.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating