Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:27 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times

Advertisements

White cabinets often look cheap to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 03:09 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
There is a big difference between natural cherry

Vs

Wood with a lacquered cherry finish which is very dated and unattractive to most

I'd personally take natural cherry over painted any day. This painted wood is driving me nuts with the chips and small scratches. We use our kitchen a lot!
I don't care for either of those. Too dark.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:28 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't care for either of those. Too dark.
Exactly.

Some people like dark, heavy, serious decorating styles.

Some people like light, airy, fresh decorating styles.

I like the latter. There is probably a tendency toward thinking this is trendy, but throughout history there has been a push and pull between both.

I associate a dark kitchen with masculine, tavern-esque, taste. I also see it as an "older" look--not antique, but embraced by someone with more years under their belt than me. It can work in some homes, but its not something that's ever a plus for me.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
White cabinets often look cheap to me
That's funny. I wish they were cheaper than wood finish! In fact, they can be a bit pricier in many cases because of the different glazes that give them their tone. "White" can be warm, cool, ivory, pale grey, distressed, washed, etc. But of course everyone knows this.

I just remember my mom making a big deal about her custom wood (oak? I can't remember) kitchen cabinets. When she passed and I sold her house to a young family, the woman and I had a chat at closing about how we would redo the kitchen and both agreed that mom's very expensive, traditional, well made and cared for cabinets would be mercilessly gutted. I am sure she rolled over in her grave. The new owner sent me pics of what she did with the remodel and that kitchen was utterly transformed with bright, light, pretty pale ivory cabinets and open shelves. Just gorgeous.

And mom was a realtor who swore up and down that her cabinets added value because they were so fancy...

Old 06-23-2017, 03:33 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Again it's personal preference. Just because you, an individual, dont like dark cabinets doesnt mean the op should go and spend three grand. You can have dark cabinets and have a bright kitchen. Lighter colored paint and ample windows should do the trick. I would've preferred darker cabinets but if it was such a big deal I wouldn't have bothered with the house. Not expect a seller to pander to my likes.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Again it's personal preference. Just because you, an individual, doesn't like dark cabinets doesn't mean the op should go and spend three grand. You can have dark cabinets and have a bright kitchen. Lighter colored paint and ample windows should do the trick. I would've preferred darker cabinets but if it was such a big deal I wouldn't have bothered with the house. Not expect a seller to pander to my likes.
You can definitely find someone to paint who will charge less.

Big heavy boxes in dark colors on the wall and the kitchen is STILL bright? I haven't seen that happen, personally.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:50 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
All cabinets that are "in" now will be out sooner rather than later
And someone will be gutting them
And the circle of life continues

Old 06-23-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Both pics posted are way too dark for my taste. Yuck. I would be gutting both.

I don't necessarily see a white kitchen as trendy but classic. My grandmother's kitchen had white cabinets. Homes I lived in from the teens and 1920s had original white cabinets. I have also been in Craftsman homes with original very dark wood cabinets. There is a place for both historically.

I would argue that high end trendy kitchens tend to have painted cabinets of some kind-- what I see most often near me is a very dark gray or black more often than white. Personally I really dislike any dark kitchen be it wood or painted. I like light and bright. That is cheerful to me and fresh. Dark is heavy, dingy and severe.
Exactly. So many think that it's a "trend" thing...but for many (or most) of us it has nothing to do with what is in style or trending. White kitchens are very classic and timeless. Whether they happen to be "in style" right now has no relevance for many folks.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
All cabinets that are "in" now will be out sooner rather than later
And someone will be gutting them
And the circle of life continues
Not even relevant.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:58 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,588,583 times
My feeling this...Your home do what you love, no one way is rights or wrong! I love all kinds of woods and even white, I really think it depends on you and your home itself. My folks house was built in the 50's always had a white kitchen and when they remodel they replace with white cabinets and the style of architect of the home. Just like my home was built in the 90's so cherry is fitting!

My folks white kitchen pictured below as you can see it still has an older feel to the 50's yet updated more functional and I love it, yet this would never fit into my home! Just like my cherry kitchen below would never look right in my folks home !
Attached Thumbnails
White Kitchen Cabinets-untitled.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating