Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:18 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,893 times

Advertisements

I love them and my last home had them and I miss them. My new home will have them. My current home is 11 years old and has natural cherry custom wood cabinets. Very custom with fluted moulding etc. We are getting ready to put it on the market. I had my realtors "designer" come through to recommend changes she thought needed to be done to make our home marketable. They are telling me I need to have my cabinets professionally done in white. Well to be exact ivory because all of our moulding isn't a bright white but an antique white. They said the approximate cost would be between $3-$4 k dollars to have this done.

What are your thoughts on this? My home isn't "out of date". It's got the bells and whistles and is on trend. If I were to do this I really don't think I'd see a return on the money spent . I also think there is a lot of people that DONT like or want white cabinets and would kill to have solid wood natural cherry cabinets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 08:26 PM

22,844 posts, read 6,435,820 times
White cabinets are nice but I would rather have the custom cherry cabinets if
I was the buyer.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
You need a new real estate agent.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:00 PM

248 posts, read 862,337 times
Please get a new real estate agent!

Old 06-18-2017, 09:06 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You need a new real estate agent.

^^^^^ This !!^^^^^

Old 06-18-2017, 09:45 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Now before you take the "advice" of those other posters with their knee jerk responses, I'd say you should do some of your own homework. Granted, we hire RE agents to list, advertise, and "sell" our homes. We invest in them to hopefully get us the best bang for our investment. But, with that said we should also be diligent in our choices. Those choices are made by asking the right questions.

For example- with your question I would ask; "How many other homes in the immediate area that are for sale have white cabinets?" "If I was to list the house today, what would you recommend as a listing price?" "If I was to list it with 'painted white' cabinets, what would be the listing price?" "What would be the expected offers based on other sales in the area?"

Year in, and year out "location, location, location" will win out. If you have the location, do you really think white cabinets are going to make a difference? Could there be a difference in the "days on the market"- possibly. Does it change the eventual contract price- probably not.

Another thing that may or maynot play into your situation- a lot of areas across the country are quickly becoming "seller markets". If you're in a seller's market- I can't see wasting the time, money, or effort. If it's a buyer's market, refer back to my previous statements.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Those white cabinets would make a difference to me....they would put your house down at the very bottom of the list. I don't like them at all. YMMV.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
No! Absolutely not. Leave the cabinets as is wth.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
I don't think you will recover the amount you put into painting them. The only thing it *might* do is make it sell faster.

If the cabinets are in otherwise excellent shape, don't do a thing to them.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:50 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Your home probably looks out of date to new buyers
11 years old...just when things like bathrooms and kitchens start to look dated
Cherry cabinets are not in style right now

The good news is 11 years is still a young house in the eyes of the market

I would leave the cabinets. That's something the new owners can leave or paint if they wish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating