Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 03:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times

Advertisements

Christine: What kind of a sink did you choose? I don't like SS but it may be the only one I can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 03:12 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Christine: What kind of a sink did you choose? I don't like SS but it may be the only one I can afford.
I got a 60/40 stainless steel sink (provided for free from the installer because I had over a certain amount of square feet). I have no idea what brand it is or anything. Seems fine.

The sink I had before was a white granite sink. I was going to do a farmhouse sink in white but then I just couldn't be bothered!

Old 07-30-2017, 03:13 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I started my search for tile yesterday and came back with this. The one on the left is Heirloom Pewter and the one on the right is Heirloom Clay.

Neither of these is a dark as this photo looks. The Pewter is really greige in color (not nearly as gray as it looks here) and lighter and the Clay is very close to white.

I think the Clay is pretty but I wonder if between the very white cabinets, the Manchester Tan walls that it's just another white/cream and I'll have too many shades going on. It's lighter than the Manchester Tan although it's not real evident in this photo. To the eye, it is. Almost a creamy white.

The Pewter seems to be what everyone likes just as a standalone, but I do worry it might be gloomy. The undercabinet lighting will help with that. It also perfectly matches one of the colors in the granite.
The dark one looks better.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I agree with Robino. Both are very very attractive. Can I copy that also?? My walls are a similar color as yours. And if I can find the granite like yours, I will be very happy. Both tiles would work. Are they expensive? Are you going to DIY?
Copy away!

The Heirloom Clay actually matches the Manchester Tan pretty well depending on what time of day it is.

I believe the tiles were $1.29 each and are 3x9.

As you will note in the picture, the tile has this lighter border around it that is really nice on the darker tile. Also, it has a crackled glaze finish versus being smooth.

The plumber who came (who happens to be co-owner of the granite place) said that he has a countertop very similar to mine and he used Dove Gray tiles (sold at Home Depot either in an Arabesque or subway tile shape). He said his wife didn't want it but they went with it and he said he gets so many compliments on it year after year. I think he said it was about 99 cents per tile. I went to Home Depot to find it and my store only had the Arabesque (which I'm very nervous about). I couldn't get any samples there. They had another color called Fog which was pretty nice.

As for DIY, no we will hire someone. I just want it done at this point.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:26 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Is this the tile? At least on my monitor, it looks a lot more brown toned on the website vs. your photo, but not really any lighter. I like it but because of the border effect, I would not go with my earlier suggestion of a herringbone or other pattern. I'd do a standard brickwork as I think that border effect will be busy enough (not the best word because not exactly busy but just not super plain, if that makes sense?)

http://www.flooranddecor.com/tile-de...100183318.html

Old 07-30-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Is this the tile? At least on my monitor, it looks a lot more brown toned on the website vs. your photo, but not really any lighter. I like it but because of the border effect, I would not go with my earlier suggestion of a herringbone or other pattern. I'd do a standard brickwork as I think that border effect will be busy enough (not the best word because not exactly busy but just not super plain, if that makes sense?)

http://www.flooranddecor.com/tile-de...100183318.html
It looks darker on the website (on my monitor). It's definitely a beige/gray versus a gray tile. Not brown at all.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:39 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

You could get a plain tile but then use a herringbone or other more interesting pattern to give it a little bit more pizzazz but not have something that fights the movement and color in the granite
Yeah, The last thing she needs is more pattern. A herringbone pattern would have read as pattern-upon-pattern with the granite.

OP, stick with plain tiles in a plain pattern. Granite needs to be the star of the show. The back splash needs to fade into the background as much as possible. You don't need an accent.

The darker tile will create a busier look because the contrast is too sharp for such a narrow strip of tile.

The lighter tile that blends with the Manchester Tan is best. Or you could find a tile that is the lightest shade in the granite. Either/Or.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:52 AM

Also, the dark tile would make every single plug stand out - not an effect anyone wants.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Also, the dark tile would make every single plug stand out - not an effect anyone wants.
Well that is a thought....

Old 07-31-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

Well that is a thought....
You have done so well with the project so far. I'd hate to see bad advice ruin it.

The guys who install tile, pushed for the darker tile because they were not looking at the overall effect. They are only looking at the granite and dark tile up close and they like it. But if you back away and look at the overall picture, that dark tile will create a busy narrow strip of darkness around the kitchen. It won't relate to anything and will look like an amateur did it.

Typically, if you choose a back splash to be the eye-catching element, it works best when there are few upper cabinets and the back splash takes up a lot of wall space. With lots of uppers, a dramatic back splash looks like a disruptive stripe.

Any designer will advise to only have one eye-catching element per kitchen. The dark tiles will compete for attention because they will be sandwiched in between light upper cabinets and patterned granite. That would give the eye THREE very different things to look at all bunched together.

Not to mention that kitchens already look busy by nature with all the appliances and stuff on counters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating