Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:15 PM

383 posts, read 392,409 times

Advertisements

We just moved into a new house - a spec home. The floors are a wide plank wood in espresso. I am having a really hard time deciding what kind of blinds to use in the house. My husband wants 2.5 inch traditional wood (white to match the trim). I want bamboo because we have had them before, and I really like them. In my previous house my bamboo blinds matched the color of the wood floors. In this house I am scared it will look too dark and too heavy, but I really don't have a clue what to use. It's a very traditional house with a European flair on the outside. Kitchen(white cabinets)/family/dining room are one large space with quite a few windows. I would be so grateful if anyone could give me some suggestions, as I am stumped on this one! Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 06:32 PM

4,851 posts, read 3,276,133 times
If the bamboo is light brown, I think it would make an attractive contrast to the white trim and darker floors.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:35 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
By the description of the house, I would go with the white wood blinds- or better yet, plantation shutters.

I guess the real question is do you follow form or function(?).

Old 06-20-2017, 09:53 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
I just had Silhoutte and Nantucket blinds from Hunter Douglas installed in my home and they really look nice. I first saw this style blind at a big box store (HD) and was impressed as I had never seen anything like them before. They are soft vanes "sandwiched" between a sheer fabric. You can choose the color you want.

I went with Hunter Douglas because I wanted THEM to do the whole thing, from measuring to installing. A "one-stop" experience. With the big box store (HD) they would sub contract the installation, don't know who would have measured, etc. If anything went wrong I wanted one company responsible.

These are the last window treatments I'm ever going to purchase, and I am very pleased. Worth every penny, IMO.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:29 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
I would go with white blinds but that is just me. I know that white is not for everyone especially to keep clean if you have a lot of windows.

If your walls are light enough (white or eggshell) then these would look nice:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bamb...6JLxBZN0hYNPM:

Here's a sample with dark wood floors with matching dark blinds. I would think that it would be much too dark though if your walls were anything but white/eggshell. I would suggest also keeping your furniture and area rugs in mostly lighter colors using darker accents/accessories throughout with the dark blinds/floors especially, as you stated, that there are lots of windows.
.https://www.google.com/search?q=bamb...Qr1q6C-F-Uq-M:

Another sample with a lighter shade of brown with the dark floors which would definitely work:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bamb...X5ludn8Jr7qhM:

Old 06-21-2017, 05:36 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
While I understand the dilemma, I too, would go with white. I fear too many different wood tones would throw off the overall look. I wish I could honestly say I would like the dark tone of the floor for the blinds, but I agree, it would be a very dark look.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:09 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
You can get very light woven wood shades, or even white, if you think you would like them better.
I have used the white silhouette shades in a bedroom before and I like them very much. They are very good for privacy, yet let the light in.

As someone mentioned, the function comes first as the determining factor....how much light blocking, and how much privacy is required in each instance?

Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the input. It's very helpful! To answer a few questions: Form and function are important. We live on a larger lot backing up to trees, so privacy is not hugely important. The walls are a light beige (builder beige). The common area will probably stay that color, and the rest of the rooms will be repainted to match our bedding, etc. I am leaning towards the white (actually off white since the woodwork is off white) blinds now. My biggest concern is obstructing the view with the white shutter style blinds. We (finally) have a nice view, so I don't want to obstruct it. Also the dining room is off the front porch (we use it for a homeschooling room), so it is a little dark. I am wondering if the white wood blinds would make the room darker, too. This is very helpful, so thanks for replying!

Old 06-21-2017, 08:49 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
Thanks for the input. It's very helpful! To answer a few questions: Form and function are important. We live on a larger lot backing up to trees, so privacy is not hugely important. The walls are a light beige (builder beige). The common area will probably stay that color, and the rest of the rooms will be repainted to match our bedding, etc. I am leaning towards the white (actually off white since the woodwork is off white) blinds now. My biggest concern is obstructing the view with the white shutter style blinds. We (finally) have a nice view, so I don't want to obstruct it. Also the dining room is off the front porch (we use it for a homeschooling room), so it is a little dark. I am wondering if the white wood blinds would make the room darker, too. This is very helpful, so thanks for replying!
Do you have any pics of the rooms and your living room furniture perhaps? That would help. And also, do you have a link or pics of the wood "shutter style" blinds you have in mind?

Old 06-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Do you have any pics of the rooms and your living room furniture perhaps? That would help. And also, do you have a link or pics of the wood "shutter style" blinds you have in mind?
I will have to get that.......good idea..... Just give me until after lunch....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating