Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:25 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,179,316 times

Advertisements

My soaking tub. I love it and use it a lot. I noticed somebody posted a picture of their shower that had no door. We had one of those a few years ago and I was always cold when I was in the shower and this is Florida. I can't imagine having one of those in a cold climate unless you had a great heating system in the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
After reading about everyone's luxuries in their homes, I have now come to the sad realization that my apartment has about zero luxuries at all.

im depressed right about now.....
Don't be depressed - you have a roof over your head. I used to get upset that I didn't own my own home but then I realized it's still better than being homeless or having to sleep in my car.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:42 AM

[quote=slan490;48620317]Our house was built in 1909 and hasn't been updated since a 70's hodge podge remodel. Nothing luxurioius or a luxury. We have a nice view of the Olympics.[/quote]

Which year?

Old 07-10-2017, 12:53 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,016,657 times
My wife insisted on adding designer wallpaper to one of the walls in our bedroom. I admit that it does look good, looks really modern. It cost a pretty penny and everyone loves it. We have some really high end tiles on our fireplace wall also. We had to get the wall frame specially supported for it when having the house built because of the extra added weight. My wife would probably say our huge his/her walk-in closet is her favorite luxury. It was designed as an extra bedroom on the other side of the master we had converted since the space wasn't needed. First world problem: Now she thinks she has to buy more clothes to fill it up so it won't appear empty...smh

Old 07-10-2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Don't be depressed - you have a roof over your head. I used to get upset that I didn't own my own home but then I realized it's still better than being homeless or having to sleep in my car.
Exactly!

Old 07-10-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Five-panel window wall.
Wow!! Nice!! We wanted this for our back wall leading out to our patio but the cost wasn't in our budget when we built ($18,000), so we settled for the largest sliding patio door with two huge 8x8 windows on each side.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:25 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,356,048 times
The family room wall consists of double, single glass french doors and you can view the pool and the gardens the moment you enter the room. Definitely reeled us in when we were viewing the house.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:12 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,052,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My soaking tub. I love it and use it a lot. I noticed somebody posted a picture of their shower that had no door. We had one of those a few years ago and I was always cold when I was in the shower and this is Florida. I can't imagine having one of those in a cold climate unless you had a great heating system in the bathroom.

Actually we have a Mitsubishi mini-split with heater in it for the master suite and it keeps it at 70 degrees year round for very little money. So when it's cold out, it's nice inside that bathroom. Also have a heat lamp in the bath fan just outside the shower area for when you get out and stand under it while drying off if it's absolutely necessary (which it rarely is). Was going to put in heating coils in the floor under the tile, but my wife was worried about risk of fire. Haven't missed it.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:50 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,881,027 times
Not sure if we have much luxury in the house itself, but the location and view are great.

A raised bed veggie garden is kinda a luxury. Much nicer than weeding lettuce on your knees.

Fresh heirloom varieties of lettuce are luxuries. More flavor and absolutely purely organic. No odd chemicals added at all. There's beans, tomatoes, carrots, hull less oats, kale, onions, beets and a watermelon all tucked into 3'x 5' of garden, although the watermelon did wander out of the garden.

Otherwise, what I consider some of the 'luxuries' of this house are the glass doorknobs. The big kitchen sink with drainboards on either side. It's about five feet wide and all that surface is good with wet stuff, dripping and draining. The size of the kitchen is lovely, although probably not quite big enough to be 'luxurious'. The double hung sash weighted windows fit my category of luxurious, but perhaps nobody else's. Most of the house is pretty much just a standard 1950 house (including chrome trimmed Formica counter tops in ferocious yellow), fortunately it's in a great location.

We are hoping to build another house up in the back of the lot, that one will have more 'luxuries', hopefully, but we may not know what they will be until we get them installed. I really like the window wall, although I'm pretty sure that'd be out of the budget. Actually, the luxury of that house will be the ability to drive up behind the house and download the car at the same level of the house. No walking uphill with groceries. Maybe a lift from the lower house area to the kitchen upstairs may be an idea. The house will be set into a hillside, so the lower underhouse area will be storage/workshop or something. Probably a hot tub on the deck overlooking the ocean, a few more raised bed gardens, the washer and dryer in the master bath or master closet, maybe a heater and A/C of some sort in the house. Those Mitsubishi mini-splits sound great. Central vacuum maybe? A library? A nice window seat? Not sure yet, I'm still drawing up the plans.

See, a beauty spot for a house! Just some assembly required before we will have a list of luxuries.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:37 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,307,376 times
Oh my gosh. Since we have a brand new house, everything seems luxurious.

If outside counts, I would have to say my pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating