Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 03:39 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Stealing this thread idea from a comment Silibran just made in another post.

Quote:
In fact, when I think about it, this must be the only true luxury item in this house, except for the shower we just had redone.
I think I will go with my shower as well - I wanted a luxury spa feeling and while it's not as over the top as I might have gone in a true custom builder where I had less limitations than with a tract builder, I still made it as luxurious as I could, with an added window, beautiful tile work, a shower panel and a frameless glass door. It would have been even bigger and fancier in a custom home! lol!

I'd say my second favorite indulgence was having the gas line run to the yard, to hook up a natural gas grill on the deck. I love being able to easily grill all year round and never have to worry about hauling propane tanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 03:46 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
Hmmm interesting question. Our current home was purchased out of inventory by a custom builder. We didn't get to make any of the choices. Its never been my taste but I know it has things that make others have heart eyes. It is extremely heavy on finish carpentry. Coffered ceilings, built ins , bead board and mouldings. Transom windows through out above doorways. Those are my favorite features of this house. Everyone loves our huge 7'x7' walk in steam shower. After we moved in we did extensive hard scape with a series of three terraced patios and an outdoor kitchen. I love those too!

Old 06-21-2017, 03:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Probably our shower. It has a huge sunflower type head that is like showering in a waterfall. It is connected to a tankless water heater, so you can take as long a hot shower as you want. It has a bench built in that you can sit on or even lie back a bit while the shower is running on you.

Next most is probably radiated heat.

We have a more featured unit in the basement bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, steam generator, side jets for the shower, a phone built in. Radio speakers. . . . There is a small built in bench, but it is too low for me to use.

Still everyone likes the old fashioned shower upstairs a lot better. It is roomier, has a better shower head and handheld and has that big built in bench. Plus it is a zero threshold entry.

Old 06-21-2017, 05:18 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
This is a tough question for me to answer. We have a few things:

I don't know if I would call my tin ceiling luxurious but it is definitely an indulgence that we put in when we had the kitchen done.

I like my little clawfoot tub that I use every night. It is original to the house-well, original when they put in plumbing that is.

We have 3 bathrooms. The master bathroom floor is slate that is heated. We don't really use the tub in there (for a number of reasons) but feeling the warm stone is nice. We are in the process of redoing our downstairs bathroom and we put in ceramic mosaic tile, we are also going to have the floor heated. That is the bathroom we use for our shower. It will be nice to get out of the shower on warm tile.

We have a soft mattress and we use fleece sheets year round. Yeah, I know-but we love it. They are nice and soft. Of course it makes getting out of bed VERY hard. lol.

I also have a rocker/recliner that swivels. It is very plush. I refer to it as my "Throne." lol.

Cat

Old 06-22-2017, 05:55 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
The most extravagant thing I added to my house was 5/4" t&g porch floor decking, instead of the standard, commonly available 3/4".

But, the house came with extravagant woodwork/built-ins: hand-cut fretwork above some doorways, a large fireplace mantel with cabinets above, wood columns, leaded glass cabinet doors in the fireplace cabinets and dining room cabinets, thick 5-panel doors, (1 3/4", instead of 1 3/8") much of the wood looks like it was rift sawn.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:47 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Oh, that's easy. It's my custom restored 1953 Wedgwood gas stove. I love the way it looks in my kitchen, even though the constant pilot raises the room temp in the summer, and everyone who sees it thinks it's just adorable. And I guarantee it's got the most unique color scheme around of white with red accents!

Old 06-22-2017, 07:14 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Like many here, I'd have to say the master bath area with the 4x8 shower with low threshold and no door:

After that, probably the hot tub on the middle deck in the back yard:
Attached Thumbnails
What do you consider the most luxurious thing in your home?-img_1939.jpg  

Old 06-22-2017, 07:16 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Originally, our basement was only half finished. We took the unfinished back half and turned part of it into a movie theater. And because we built it ourselves and were having fun with the project, we put in every bell and whistle we could think of. I'm going to miss that room when we move. Maybe w'll build another one, but it probably won't be quite as fancy as this one. We really did go over the top with a few details, LOL.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 06-22-2017 at 07:37 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Paying cash for our home is the biggest luxury for us, no mortgage, no answering to anyone about anything, fast and easy close.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Like many here, I'd have to say the master bath area with the 4x8 shower with low threshold and no door:

After that, probably the hot tub on the middle deck in the back yard:
Wow, that's quite a bathroom! Your shower is 4 X 8; my whole bathroom is only 6 X 8, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating