Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:20 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,469 times

Advertisements

So Behr did a survey of the most popular paint colors by state, and here are the results: Most Popular Paint Colors in Every State - BEHR United States Infographic

I'm most surprised by Alaska. The winters are so dismal, one would think Alaskans might pick something a bit more vibrant. And Texas...whaaa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I like NY, CA, and OH.

I agree that Alaska's choice is dark. I would go for a white of some kind. That's what Scandinavians tend to do.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:01 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Very interesting.

That's why I stick with cream/beige and haven't gotten into the grey paint trend.

Living in the Northeast we have a long grey season...the trees look grey, the sky looks grey. The cream cheers me up.

I always liked yellow tones, even as a kid, I had a bright yellow bedroom

Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Interesting. Honestly I haven't seen that much Antique White in Maryland. Its grey grey grey in every house we tour.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:45 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
I think it's pretty funny that Washington DC's color is purple. Wonder if they buy that paint for homes--or for bipartisanship political signs?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:06 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times
Mauve??????
ew.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:56 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
The text says that the true best sellers are various neutrals, and that the colors shown on that map are the " more saturated" hues common in a particular state but not so common in others. Uh, OK.

WA and OR crack me up. For states with so much cloudy, drizzly weather and tall evergreens that not only keep many houses in shade all day but also cast a dark green-gray tone around, and where their largest cities' residents grouse about the grayness and moss, what did they choose for paint colors--dark, drab green-gray.

I got the lecture when we lived in WA, about how "we" "like to have nature's colors for our houses" blahblahblah. Our house had nature's colors, just not dark, gray, drab ones. Yet one person called the exterior "dark and depressing" while another called it "so bright". THE SAME COLOR! I call it a sign of how f'ed up some of the people's minds were. Also of how being "in the middle" just meant you got crap from both extremes, in every sense (not just paint colors), and how they liked to dictate what they wanted on your own property.

It'd be interesting to see what sales figures from Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, and other major paint makers show for each state. Might be very different from Behr's colors.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:23 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

It'd be interesting to see what sales figures from Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, and other major paint makers show for each state. Might be very different from Behr's colors.
To be honest, I don't really believe Behr's sales figures reflect this, either. It strikes me as a clever way to get people to look at a lot of their pain samples and then feel attached to one or the other because of their connection to a certain state. Note that every state seems to have a different shade. In reality, from what I've read in other places Swiss Coffee is the color ringing up the most sales in most states. Certainly not a shade of purple or green.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:55 PM

4,843 posts, read 3,270,079 times
I saw a new listing somewhere the other day that seemed to be priced quite a bit low for the age and size of the house. Every room was painted a dark color... a couple of them black. It looked like the painting was well done, but I'd almost have to think the price reflected the realization that probably 98% of potential buyers were gonna look at that and realize they'd have work to do right off.

Most everything new around here seems to be yellowish beige, often with the same color trim.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:45 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,022 times
They have the green for Texas all wrong, at least in the Houston area. Off white seems to be the standard building color. Not sure how or why they got that color. I've been looking at homes online for a good 2 years and never experienced that color. If anything I've seen various shades of blue. Some muted shades of gray.

Now the house down the street had a green kitchen that was similar. But the house never sold. Then updated pictures online and it sold quickly. They painted the kitchen back to an off white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating