Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 09:19 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,078,760 times

Advertisements

For the second time I have gone to Lowes hardware with the name and number of a paint color that I have used before, and want to use again, and have gotten the same "we don't have that anymore". The number has been assigned to a new color and there is no history of how to make the old color anywhere in their system. Other than being extremely frustrating (no I do not want to tear off a piece of drywall so you can match the color) I find it very homeowner unfriendly.

So my question to you kind folks is do you know any website that would have a history of these colors and be able to give back a closest matching color from any paint source today? I'm guessing the color is less than 10 yrs old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 09:25 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,302,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
For the second time I have gone to Lowes hardware...
There's the problem.

Go to a real paint store.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,332,861 times
Other than finding an obscure section and scraping off a 2" patch, don't think you'll have much luck getting a good match.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:47 AM

143 posts, read 166,729 times
Go to a real paint store. Our kitchen cabinets are some crappy Home Depot special and the ivory paint has literally peeled, cracked and rubbed off. We are selling this house and I wanted to touch up the cabinets as best I could. I brought one of the drawer fronts and they were able to match it perfectly. Do you still have the paint can? Maybe they could match it from that?

Old 06-27-2017, 10:52 AM

186 posts, read 131,688 times
Paint varies in color depending upon the color. Navajo white is darker at Kelley Moore Paint Store and Lighter at Sherwin Williams. Just keep that in mind.

So a computer system would need to house not just the color, but the store and THEIR version of that color.
If they were to change their version of that color, you'd be screwed using a computer system.

Just chop off a tiny pice of drywall in a protected area (so it hasn't faded) to match. No biggie....or keep your paint cans next time

Old 06-27-2017, 11:38 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,302,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoQueen View Post
Paint varies in color depending upon the color. Navajo white is darker at Kelley Moore Paint Store and Lighter at Sherwin Williams. Just keep that in mind.

So a computer system would need to house not just the color, but the store and THEIR version of that color.
If they were to change their version of that color, you'd be screwed using a computer system.

Just chop off a tiny pice of drywall in a protected area (so it hasn't faded) to match. No biggie....or keep your paint cans next time
But if you go to a REAL PAINT STORE, they will ask for the paint manufacturer and color number. Names mean nothing. OP clearly said she has the old paint color number. Go to a REAL PAINT STORE and tell them the manufacturer and paint color number and they will be able to look up the recipe and tint the paint to match. If you still have the paint can, the recipe is usually printed on a label that's applied to the top.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:33 PM

531 posts, read 452,095 times
Lowe's in Indiana sell Olympic, Valspar, and HGTV brands (for ordinary house paint). Olympic is a PPG brand, so is Pittsburgh (at Menard's) and Porter (at their own stores and some hardware stores). These brands have different numbers but the same names. The Lowe's clerk can look up the name and get the old formula. If he says he can't, he's either lazy or not trained. Their computer will do it.
Valspar has recently done away with their Historic line and renamed the colors, but the numbers and formulas are the same. Give them the number and they can get the formula.
HGTV is a Sherwin-Williams brand (so is Color Place at Walmart). Some of the colors are also SW colors and the chip lists the SW number, the name being the same. Some aren't. SW stores sell HGTV paint, so they can supply any HGTV color. My local SW store has trays of swatches starting forty years ago and they can mix any of the SW colors.
Scanning a sample usually works. Make sure it's clean -- a grimy sample will give you a grimy color.
Having them make a different company's color doesn't work. The tinting color manufacturers put out a database of every company's colors, but in my experience they are off-hue and desaturated. So don't try to get an SW color at Lowe's, for example, or vice versa.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:41 PM

186 posts, read 131,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
But if you go to a REAL PAINT STORE, they will ask for the paint manufacturer and color number. Names mean nothing. OP clearly said she has the old paint color number. Go to a REAL PAINT STORE and tell them the manufacturer and paint color number and they will be able to look up the recipe and tint the paint to match. If you still have the paint can, the recipe is usually printed on a label that's applied to the top.
OP doesn't want to have to take a chip off of the wall. That is an indication he/she doesn't have the paint can. And as I stated, their formulas differ so you cannot buy Navajo White from Kelly Moore and expected it to match if you've used Sherwin Williams Navajo White. They look totally different

And again, if the Paint Store changes it's formula, you could still be out of luck

You do not need to got to a REAL PAINT STORE.

Right now Home Depot has almost as good of paint as Kelly Moore or possibly, just as good. We've saved hundreds of dollars lately by switching to buy paint there, including with my husbands contractors license discount at "real paint stores". Kelly Moore and other REAL paint stores constantly start watering down their paint so you need more of it. Then suddenly fix it for a while. So tired of that. Especially when the old man died from Kelly More, his kin got real greedy.

Last edited by BingoQueen; 06-27-2017 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 02:41 PM

15,140 posts, read 27,756,930 times
Quote:
For the second time I have gone to Lowes hardware with the name and number of a paint color that I have used before, and want to use again, and have gotten the same "we don't have that anymore". The number has been assigned to a new color and there is no history of how to make the old color anywhere in their system. Other than being extremely frustrating (no I do not want to tear off a piece of drywall so you can match the color) I find it very homeowner unfriendly.

So my question to you kind folks is do you know any website that would have a history of these colors and be able to give back a closest matching color from any paint source today? I'm guessing the color is less than 10 yrs old.
Can't they look it up in their computer system? I don't use Lowe's but I do use Home Depot Behr and I was able to get more paint yrs. after because I wanted the same color as well - they just looked up the "formula"

Old 06-27-2017, 03:16 PM

531 posts, read 452,095 times
Quote:
The number has been assigned to a new color and there is no history of how to make the old color anywhere in their system.
To make my answer clearer, this has not happened with the brands that Lowe's sells here in Indiana: Olympic, Valspar, and HGTV. You can get Olympic by the name, Valspar by the number, and HGTV hasn't been around long enough to change.
This did happen to some of the SW Heritage Colors, but that was thirty years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating