Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:08 AM

2,323 posts, read 2,176,505 times

Advertisements

See attached photos. House was built in 1960s, I bought the house recently.

First floor and upper floor: The wall color should be fine, the color is close to white.

Kitchen: Upper portion of wall is fine too, lower portion is wood panel wall. But I may want to leave it as it is, it would look a little strange if painting whole kitchen wall to same color, while lower portion of wall and upper portion of wall are not at the same level.

Lower floor: Whole wall is wood panel. 1/3 of wall is underground, so it is semi-basement. This is the main reason I would like to change, since it is already semi-basement and the dark wood panel makes the room look dark, so I need to go with a lighter color. Kitchen is above the ground, so it would not make the room look dark, moreover, only a small portion of kitchen wall is wood panel, so I don't feel the kitchen is dark.

Any suggestions how to resign my walls? How to paint wood panel wall? What kind of paint should I choose? Any recommended paint? Any recommended color?

Thank you very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Any ideas about how to redesign my interior walls? How to paint wood panel wall?-upper.jpg   Any ideas about how to redesign my interior walls? How to paint wood panel wall?-kitchen.jpg   Any ideas about how to redesign my interior walls? How to paint wood panel wall?-lower-floor.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 12:12 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
The paneling is that good ol' 70's crap. It is either nailed or glued over the drywall- I'd remove it and have a nice finished wall. Painted paneling look like...

...well, painted paneling! Yuck!

Old 06-30-2017, 12:21 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
We had this at our old house built in 1966. I was able to remove it - mine was not glued, just nailed. Easy enough to finish the walls off and I painted after sanding, priming, etc.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
We had this at our old house built in 1966. I was able to remove it - mine was not glued, just nailed. Easy enough to finish the walls off and I painted after sanding, priming, etc.
I am not very handy, and I have a few questions: is it a lot of work to remove wood panel? How to deal with electric outlet? Mine is nailed too.

If I need to do it, I need to do it quick, since I have appointment with a contractor to install wood flooring. I need to remove it before contractor begins wood flooring installation, otherwise, the edge of wood cannot reach to drywall.

How thick is the wood panel?

Could you tell me how to remove it? What tools are needed?

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:46 PM

Is it possible to apply compound on the wood panel and make the surface smooth? Then paint it?

Old 06-30-2017, 12:51 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlebeH View Post
How to paint wood panel wall?
I would never paint paneling. It looks cheap.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:57 PM

I have never came up with the idea of removing wood panel, after getting such kind of suggestion, I just looked the room again. I guess I have no choice but keep the wood panel.

Attached photo: One side of wall has build-in shelf, I don't want to touch it. It will be too much work.

The best thing I can do it to fill grooves between wood panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Any ideas about how to redesign my interior walls? How to paint wood panel wall?-shelf.jpg  

Old 06-30-2017, 01:17 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,576,212 times
you can do a few things. You can remove the paneling on the walls where you have access to them and then leave the one with the built in shelf (then you can paint it on the wall you can't remove it from if you want).

I would probably do this as I don't like the look of paneling, but it's really up to you.

To remove paneling - i just used a pry bar and pulled. again, mine wasn't glued.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
you can do a few things. You can remove the paneling on the walls where you have access to them and then leave the one with the built in shelf (then you can paint it on the wall you can't remove it from if you want).

I would probably do this as I don't like the look of paneling, but it's really up to you.

To remove paneling - i just used a pry bar and pulled. again, mine wasn't glued.
Mine wasn't glued too, but I may keep it, not sure how much time it will take to remove it, I am just not that handy, and don't have much free time.

BUT if I keep it, I definitely will fill grooves before painting.

Attached: not only wall behind the shelf cannot be removed, there are some other places: electrical panel, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Any ideas about how to redesign my interior walls? How to paint wood panel wall?-img_20170630_160623.jpg   Any ideas about how to redesign my interior walls? How to paint wood panel wall?-img_20170630_160633.jpg  

Old 06-30-2017, 02:37 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
If you're not handy, as you say, painting the paneling to make it look good isn't going to be the easiest thing.

If you want it to turn out well you need to clean all the paneling really well. You should then prime the paneling with an oil-based primer so that your paint will adhere.

I would not use a regular wall paint over wood paneling. Using something like Benjamin Moore's Advance would be the best (very popular for painting wood cabinets).

To me, it seems that removing the paneling is your best bet. I know it *sounds* hard. But painting the paneling is not going to be any easier if you do it correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating