Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 AM

275 posts, read 1,545,335 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had an experience with upholstery? I have this sofa and loveseat and I've had it for years. It's in excellent condition but I can't stomach it anymore! Our new house has a formal lvg room and family room so I we already know what kind of furniture we are going to put in the family room. Instead of getting rid of our current set, we were thinking we should just get it upholstered to save money. I have no idea how much it would cost but I can only imagine it has to be cheaper than buying a whole new living room set. Seeing that this will be in the living room, it won't really be a functional room. Just more for "show". Let me know if you've done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,370 times
I have had 2 couches and a chair reupholstered.It is not cheap!Of course it depends on the fabric you choose.It sometimes is cheaper to buy new inexpensive furniture.But if you have good,well made pieces,it's a shame to not redo them and use them.Good luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Estimate the number of yards of fabric (add 25%- especially if its a large repeating pattern) and buy the fabric yourself.
Most upholsterers mark-up fabric to un-godly figures. You'll save hundreds of dollars.
Take pictures of the pieces- front, sides, back- and find 3-4 different upholsterers to quote a price (you're supplying fabric).

Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
I have recovered furniture with good results but the cost may depend upon where you live. When I lived in El Paso Texas there was plenty of skilled labor so the material actually cost more than the work. Quotes I received since then and in a different location have the labor costs so much higher than I will not have any pieces done. Do some research before you work too hard on decorating decisions based on recovering items.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,633 times
I had a wing chair recovered. It was about $350 plus the cost of the fabric. If it is a really good piece of furniture it is worth it to have it redone, but if it isn't then you may as well donate it and start from scratch.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:47 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I guess I'll measure our chairs, look for frabic and get an estimate. This will be the deciding factor.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:29 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,599 times
I reupholstered two chairs and it wound up costing more than two new chairs. You may want to consider slip covers instead - depending on the style of your couches. They are much cheaper but some are really great looking. You can also do it yourself if you have any sewing skill.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:21 PM

Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I reupholstered two chairs and it wound up costing more than two new chairs. You may want to consider slip covers instead - depending on the style of your couches. They are much cheaper but some are really great looking. You can also do it yourself if you have any sewing skill.
Yeah, I'll be lucky if I can get slip covers on right! We won't even touch me and sewing skills. LOL.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:49 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,227 times
You can also try contacting local trade schools/colleges that reupholster as part of their studies. I found out from a local furniture store that if I bring the furniture and the fabric to a local school, the work will be done well, and inexpensively, but of course they cannot promise an exact delivery date. But if you're willing to wait for it, it's a good deal. Just a thought.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
You can also try contacting local trade schools/colleges that reupholster as part of their studies. I found out from a local furniture store that if I bring the furniture and the fabric to a local school, the work will be done well, and inexpensively, but of course they cannot promise an exact delivery date. But if you're willing to wait for it, it's a good deal. Just a thought.
And a great thought that is. Thanks for the suggestion. I will check on that for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating