Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:06 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times

Advertisements

Insulate your interior walls properly and noise will not be a problem. I do not want to make it through the closet at night with no lights on nor do I want to leave puddles in the bedroom on my way to the closet in the morning.

Master bath is a nice size. Closet is a walk through between master bath and laundry which has a door next to the master bed room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 04:50 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Last house had walk through the bathroom to the closet. I didn't like it and while I'm not sure I would say that dislike rises to the level of it being a dealbreaker, it would certainly put a house lower on the list. Current house has a walk in closet off the bedroom and a wall closet with sliding doors on one of the bedroom walls. That's a pretty good set up IMO

Old 07-03-2017, 07:19 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,276,133 times
I think the whole idea behind the closet entry being in the bathroom is so you don't have to either carry stuff into the bathroom with you to get dressed, or walk back out into the bedroom to a closet in whatever stage of post-bathroom business dress you're in. I don't know that I've seen any new construction in the past lotsa years that was set up any differently unless it was a very basic (tiny) bathroom to begin with.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:32 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Last house had walk through the bathroom to the closet. I didn't like it and while I'm not sure I would say that dislike rises to the level of it being a dealbreaker, it would certainly put a house lower on the list. Current house has a walk in closet off the bedroom and a wall closet with sliding doors on one of the bedroom walls. That's a pretty good set up IMO
That sounds like it takes up a lot of what could be good usable wall space???

Old 07-04-2017, 01:33 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Totally agree. This past year we bought our first house ever that had the closet entrance through the bathroom. It's just not working for us. It's the only thing we don't love about our new home.

Luckily the closet backs up to a wall space in the MBR. Not so luckily any new closet door will need to swing outward which clashes with the bathroom door that swings inward, we need to figure out how to make that work.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:24 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Totally agree. This past year we bought our first house ever that had the closet entrance through the bathroom. It's just not working for us. It's the only thing we don't love about our new home.

Luckily the closet backs up to a wall space in the MBR. Not so luckily any new closet door will need to swing outward which clashes with the bathroom door that swings inward, we need to figure out how to make that work.
Can you put a pocket door in?

Old 07-04-2017, 07:18 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
I think this is a popular lay out in studio apartments-- walking through a closet to get to a bathroom. I have seen some new construction which uses this as well. Personally I am not a fan unless its set up as though the "closet" is a proper dressing room which makes sense to go to right after using the bathroom. A dressing room to me is an actual room and not a closet.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:43 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,276,133 times
Curious how people see things differently and feel so strongly one way or the other.

We have a closet that's large enough to have a place to sit, and I gutted it recently and rebuilt with a couple of drawer units so it's 'practical' to actually dress in there. The entry is in the bathroom, but it's a large bathroom with a separate toilet room. Never occurred to either of us to question the layout... but that might be different if the toilet was in the open, or it was a smaller room overall.

I wouldn't design anything where you had to walk through the closet to get to the bathroom, but don't think it would be a deal breaker if we were shopping, either.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:45 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
In my apartment, the bedroom was next to a, oh, I'd say 5x7 walk-in closet....so an OK size closet for one person, but not dressing room size....it was 95% hanging space and one three-drawer stack, with shelves to the ceiling above that. SO you still needed to have dressers in the bedroom, if you wanted more drawer space and/or had a lot of clothes.

As an aside, I asked friends this question at dinner last night -- and they -- three of them (a marriage couple and a single) and they all said they've rather have the closet first off the bedroom then the bathroom. They cited the noise from the bathroom and other 'privacy/bodily function issues' -- and just said they've rather have the closet first.

I was surprised they agreed with me because here in this thread , so far, most people have said they've rather have the bathroom first. My friend said he hears his wife in the bathroom all the time. But he's never "heard" her putting on or picking out clothes. So he thought there'd be more noise from the bathroom, and less from the closet as well.

Also, to me (and I've never had a closet this big)....how can I explain this....unless the closet is soooo big that it truly is a room with a large island of drawers, AND a couple of chairs/benches for laying clothes on and sitting on, AND ALL my clothes, and dressers to also fit in there.....like a minimum 15x15 closet -- I personally would have to come back to the bedroom anyway to finish getting dressed. So the closet with my hanging clothes might as well be next to the bedroom which has the things I need from the dresser. Because if not, now I'm walking through the bathroom to the closet and I either have to remember to initially take stuff from the bedroom with me through the bathroom to the closet, or walk all the way from the closet back to bedroom to get the rest of what I need.

Anyone ever see profiles of celebrities and get a look at some large closets?.....I'd love a true LARGE dressing room closet. I got to see profiles of closets of people like Mariah Carey, Tina Turner, etc. Now THOSE were some closets!

Old 07-04-2017, 09:55 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Can you put a pocket door in?
That wouldn't look good at all in our set-up, it's adjacent to the bathroom door so we need the two doors to match.
DH points out that the existing closet door, in the bathroom, opens inward so it wouldn't be a big deal to do the same with the new door in the bedroom. But I've never seen a closet door in a bedroom that opens inward so I need time to get used that idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating