Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:59 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times

Advertisements

I've never followed styles. I'll always like certain things and dislike other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Note that I said I love copper, despite it being a short-lived trend (after I began using it).

If it seems I try to avoid trends, its because I tend to like things that are "different." For example, I spent two years trying to find a new sofa, because everything I looked at looked like, well, a "typical sofa." I am drawn to things that look like nothing I've ever seen before, but that aren't totally "weird." (I did finally find one, and I love it!). I'm going through the same thing now looking for new bathroom faucets. I've scrolled through hundreds of "blah, ordinary" ones online, and finally found a couple that wow me.

But my avoidance/embracing of trends isn't really why I started this thread. I was merely curious what other people love, regardless of trends, but unfortunately most of the replies haven't answered that question.
Your insecurity (i.e. not being able to tell whether you love something truly or you like them merely as a result of advertisement, as you stated in your original post), your preoccupation with trends (see all of your posts on this thread), and your preoccupation with being "different" have clouded your original question, which is unfortunate.

If you are merely curious about design elements people love, period, then there are already a number of posts here that addressed the question. But, if you have to phrase your question in the context of trends, and relate your personal struggle with trends, then it does become a rather relevant point of discussion. It is disingenuous to cast the question in these contexts, and then pretend your aversion to trends is irrelevant to the discussion.

So, if you are willing to let go of your preoccupation with what is in vogue and what isn't, then the answer to your question has already been amply explored in multiple threads. If you cannot recognize why some people, myself included, might respond to your post in a manner that isn't to your satisfaction, then that would be truly unfortunate.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:03 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I disagree. I think it is an aspect of advertising and consumerism, not an aspect of human nature. The whole purpose of advertising and marketing of consumer goods is to make us dissatisfied with what we have now. Why? $$$$$$$, that's why.

If you look at traditional societies you will see that "style" (whatever that is) changes very slowly. Things, practices, thought patterns, beliefs are retained, in many cases long past their usefulness.

I am not arguing that we should go back to the Neolithic, but I am arguing that as inhabitants of the modern world we have a CHOICE. We should not blindly accept the dictates of advertisers and marketeers as actual needs or requirements.

I completely agree.

I do not get bored with my house décor. I do not "love" any styles or furniture pieces. It's all about function for me. I think I may be the only person in the world (certainly in my neighborhood) who only replaces things in my house when they are broke or no longer functional.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
In wardrobe and home decor, I've always leaned toward simple, clean, classic. If you find it in a 100+ year old house, chances are I'm OK with it. Dark hardwoods, white tiles, glass doorknobs, etc...

The whole grey phenomenon is sort of funny to me. Growing up, I lived in a grey house. We had grey carpet. Plus, I've always hated brown. I wouldn't wear brown growing up- not even khaki pants. I never owned brown shoes. No brown anything. (Until I got a job and had to wear khakis that is.) Even now, I do not own a pair of brown or khaki pants. I have a pair of brown Dr Martens from college that are still in perfect shape- because they are never worn, lol. In high school (90s), I had a pair of charcoal dress pants that I adored. I wore them constantly. I still have them even though they have not fit in a really, really long time. I just loved them so much I can't let them go. My car is grey. I've had three grey cars as a matter of fact. So I've always worn grey. I grew up in a house decorated with grey inside and out. I've always favored grey to brown. Now that it is popular, I kind of get annoyed because I've always liked grey and soon everything of mine will look 'dated' because I chose a color I've always favored.

I find that I've been favoring navy a whole lot more over the last few years. I've always liked navy, but it has been my go-to lately. I've really always been anti-popular. Part of my wonders if it is subconscious since grey is so popular, lol. World- stay away from navy! I hate greens and browns! I have no where else to go from here!

Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
In wardrobe and home decor, I've always leaned toward simple, clean, classic. If you find it in a 100+ year old house, chances are I'm OK with it. Dark hardwoods, white tiles, glass doorknobs, etc...

The whole grey phenomenon is sort of funny to me. Growing up, I lived in a grey house. We had grey carpet. Plus, I've always hated brown. I wouldn't wear brown growing up- not even khaki pants. I never owned brown shoes. No brown anything. (Until I got a job and had to wear khakis that is.) Even now, I do not own a pair of brown or khaki pants. I have a pair of brown Dr Martens from college that are still in perfect shape- because they are never worn, lol. In high school (90s), I had a pair of charcoal dress pants that I adored. I wore them constantly. I still have them even though they have not fit in a really, really long time. I just loved them so much I can't let them go. My car is grey. I've had three grey cars as a matter of fact. So I've always worn grey. I grew up in a house decorated with grey inside and out. I've always favored grey to brown. Now that it is popular, I kind of get annoyed because I've always liked grey and soon everything of mine will look 'dated' because I chose a color I've always favored.

I find that I've been favoring navy a whole lot more over the last few years. I've always liked navy, but it has been my go-to lately. I've really always been anti-popular. Part of my wonders if it is subconscious since grey is so popular, lol. World- stay away from navy! I hate greens and browns! I have no where else to go from here!
I get it! Enjoyed your post.

Another problem for me, regarding things that look "dated" (whether I still like them or not) is that we move frequently for hub's work (in that process right now, in fact). It's harder to sell a house that screams "outdated."

Old 07-22-2017, 07:40 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,120 times
Quote:
I've really always been anti-popular. Part of my wonders if it is subconscious since grey is so popular, lol. World- stay away from navy! I hate greens and browns! I have no where else to go from here!
Well, maybe you'll get lucky and pastels will come back into favor It's about time for pink and aqua and lemon yellow bathrooms to pop up again, right?

Old 07-22-2017, 10:27 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,469 times
If someone likes to decorate with navy blue out of some subconscious (or conscious) need to be reactionary and "anti-popular", well that's just too bad, navy blue is already popular. Try to stay au courant if you have a serious aversion to trends. Just like a serious trend follower, a trend avoider must stay informed at all times. Otherwise, you just end up making inauthentic claims of being anti-popular, and give (at best) incomplete rationales for why you prefer certain colors.

PS. Pink is already back.

Examples
Navy blue:
The Biggest Color Trends Of 2017 So Far - Interior Design Color Trends

Pink:
https://www.dunnedwards.com/colors/s...r-design-trend

https://www.curbed.com/2017/1/27/144...me-decor-trend

https://www.homepolish.com/mag/2017-...illennial-pink

Trend avoiders (who are serious) should take note of the biggest color trends in the last two seasons of fashion weeks around the globe: https://www.pantone.com/fashion-color-report-fall-2017

Old 07-22-2017, 04:03 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
If someone likes to decorate with navy blue out of some subconscious (or conscious) need to be reactionary and "anti-popular", well that's just too bad, navy blue is already popular. Try to stay au courant if you have a serious aversion to trends. Just like a serious trend follower, a trend avoider must stay informed at all times. Otherwise, you just end up making inauthentic claims of being anti-popular, and give (at best) incomplete rationales for why you prefer certain colors.

PS. Pink is already back.
Navy has always been a staple in decorating and fashion. Often considered another neutral.
What I was saying is that I don't want it to become 'the' color. Like grey currently is and has been for a while now.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:30 PM

96 posts, read 135,874 times
Ok, here are a few, some already mentioned -

hardwood floors - I'm pretty flexible on the stain, it depends on the era of the house, style, etc.
white airy curtains
white/cream walls. I think I lived in apartments for so long, I got overly used to it!
traditional oriental rugs
not too much furniture

Old 07-25-2017, 09:45 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:

You have the entire blue family to choose from, not just navy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating