Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times

Advertisements

What decorating styles, finishes, colors, etc do you personally love enough to keep for a lifetime, or at least a long time, regardless of what's "in" or "out" of style?

I've been house hunting in our (soon to be) new city, and as one example, when I see shiny brass fixtures in a bathroom, I automatically think, "Oh, ugly, so 80s!" But the fact is I put brass fixtures in a house I built in 1990. And I find myself wondering if I ever really loved it, if I just got tired of it, or if I'm totally brainwashed into believing shiny brass is hopelessly out of date now. Know what I mean?

It's such an interesting phenomenon to me. It's not like I jump on every bandwagon to keep up with "latest and greatest" trends. But it's similar to clothing and hairstyles, when we look at old photos and say, "What were we thinking?!?"

I'd love to decorate my next house in a way that I can truly love for a LONG time, regardless of trends (although trends do dictate what is even available in stores), but it's hard to even distinguish with certainty my actual preferences from the the images being pushed on us via websites, magazines, and HGTV.

So, I'm curious, what do YOU truly love, regardless of trends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 12:40 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I really don't decorate by magazine or tv show. Never really have.

I hate the awful brass fixtures everyone has. Went for pewter but since they've now come out with a brown (burnished copper I think) that's what I'm using.

gray-never ever, no matter what magazine/decorators.

I guess long term I prefer earthy stuff. Browns and greens mostly. My budget doesn't allow an anything-goes scheme but I try for natural, easy to clean, hand-made stuff. Simple lines, no foofoo.
Except of course hippos, even gray hippos.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:18 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Most people would be bored if they had to wear the same pant suit, same make up, same hair, same shoes day in and day out - it doesn't matter if the style is in vogue or not. Same thing with interior decor. The sooner you accept this aspect of human nature, the less time you'll spend worrying about the permanence of style and actually live.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:33 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
I love cream paint, all different shades. I've always loved the color yellow from when I was a kid and I think that is where it comes from. I love true pale yellows too, but that is harder to work into decor.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
What decorating styles, finishes, colors, etc do you personally love enough to keep for a lifetime, or at least a long time, regardless of what's "in" or "out" of style?

I've been house hunting in our (soon to be) new city, and as one example, when I see shiny brass fixtures in a bathroom, I automatically think, "Oh, ugly, so 80s!" But the fact is I put brass fixtures in a house I built in 1990. And I find myself wondering if I ever really loved it, if I just got tired of it, or if I'm totally brainwashed into believing shiny brass is hopelessly out of date now. Know what I mean?

It's such an interesting phenomenon to me. It's not like I jump on every bandwagon to keep up with "latest and greatest" trends. But it's similar to clothing and hairstyles, when we look at old photos and say, "What were we thinking?!?"

I'd love to decorate my next house in a way that I can truly love for a LONG time, regardless of trends (although trends do dictate what is even available in stores), but it's hard to even distinguish with certainty my actual preferences from the the images being pushed on us via websites, magazines, and HGTV.

So, I'm curious, what do YOU truly love, regardless of trends?
I truly love my leather sofa, which is in a classic style. I also truly love the ginger jar lamps to either side of it, which are at least 30 years old. And the colors are not fashionable but I don't care - I love these rich colors - greens and blues and oranges.

I also love our antique buffet. I don't care whether dining rooms or antique buffets are in or out of style.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:44 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Most people would be bored if they had to wear the same pant suit, same make up, same hair, same shoes day in and day out - it doesn't matter if the style is in vogue or not. Same thing with interior decor. The sooner you accept this aspect of human nature, the less time you'll spend worrying about the permanence of style and actually live.
I disagree. I think it is an aspect of advertising and consumerism, not an aspect of human nature. The whole purpose of advertising and marketing of consumer goods is to make us dissatisfied with what we have now. Why? $$$$$$$, that's why.

If you look at traditional societies you will see that "style" (whatever that is) changes very slowly. Things, practices, thought patterns, beliefs are retained, in many cases long past their usefulness.

I am not arguing that we should go back to the Neolithic, but I am arguing that as inhabitants of the modern world we have a CHOICE. We should not blindly accept the dictates of advertisers and marketeers as actual needs or requirements.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:46 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I'm odd in that I don't care about style, so I probably shouldn't answer your question.

We built this house in the 90s, and it still looks like the 90s. I don't mind, but I know other people are shocked when they see my almond appliances. Oh my god, almond!

Whatever. The appliances work fine, and I'll keep them until they break down and can't be repaired.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:54 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I dont care either what goes in and out of style. i buy what i like, i replace when i think it needs replacing, and i dont care what other people have or dont have.

Im not grading anyone on thier homes, and they are not grading me on mine.

i too have a leather sofa, pretty simple so i dont think it really is a style that would go in or out, its a sectional, on the smaller side as it fits my living room fine. its old, and in great condition, and im not buying a couch any time soon. My choice in colors are colors I like, not what the trend of the month is.

I do like a rustic type of look, wood, bricks...etc...and my apartment has that. It reflects me and my style, not some style a "decorator" on a TV program tries to tell us we have to have.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:58 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
-Wood burning fireplaces.
-Antique furniture.
-REAL hardwood floors.

Cat

Old 07-19-2017, 02:04 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
I'm drawn toward clean looking styles. I like the drama of black and white against each other. I have white cabinets and blackish granite. That's something that I have always liked.

I like being able to see if something is dirty or smudged. I can clean it quickly without anything building up on it. Nothing worse than not being able to see if something is dirty and then running your hand on it and feeling something sticky... ugh.

I've had brownish granite and just did not care for it. Yeah it hides the dirt but do I really want to hide the dirt??? No.

I don't care if the next best is whatever, I like what I have now and like I said, I have always liked that look. I even like stainless steel appliances. Have forever it seems. Although I did go through a black phase for a couple of years....at least 20 years ago.

When it's time to repaint the interior, I will decide then if I want to do something else rather than the neutral color that I chose from the builders color palate. I don't expect that to happen for at least 5 or more years. No kids to mess up walls LOL

I'm comfortable in my home. Granted it is a new build so things shouldn't go out of 'style' for a while. My style is more of a classic look anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating