Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:15 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,694,663 times

Advertisements

Do you buy several of same items to try it out in your home to see what works and what doesn't? How do you limit the number of options you buy so that you are not constantly buying and returning

I am in the process of redecorating my bathroom. It is small and I don't want to spent too much as its rental. But I also don't want to get stuck with mix match of several colors that don't go together, like I always do. I am terrible when it comes to sticking to one color or decorating. So I told myself I will buy everything at once, so everything goes together. I am staring with bath mat & Curtin, figure once I have those two set everything else are minor. But I don't know where to start, I can't envision fit/site/color from looking at them online. So I went to store & I still can't see it. So I purchased one out of frustration & when I came home, I wasn't happy. So I packed it back up and said I will return it & maybe I should get few new items and see which I like. My husband just shock his head in disbelieve.

I know its simple but I am terrible at decoration and design & be able to have a vision. That is one of the reason I don't decorate at all. I also have the habit of trying to buy everything that comes in a set so I don't have to use my brain too much (like those bathroom set) but then I quickly get frustrated because its too matchy matchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 11:49 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,382,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post

I know its simple but I am terrible at decoration and design & be able to have a vision. That is one of the reason I don't decorate at all. I also have the habit of trying to buy everything that comes in a set so I don't have to use my brain too much (like those bathroom set) but then I quickly get frustrated because its too matchy matchy.
We all have things we're lousy at and subjects we don't care about. Don't ask me to do a complicated math problem for you because you'll regret it!

Post some photos and maybe people can help.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,015,904 times
For bathroom towels, I will buy several washcloths and bring them home to see if I like the color in the bathroom. I take the ones back that I won't buy, and then buy towels in the color that looks best in the room.

I almost never buy anything all together! In our guest bath, painted 5 years ago a medium gray, I used a shower curtain that I had bought to use in our temporary rental digs. When I finally decided to replace it, I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and chose a gray shower curtain with spots. In the room, I have bought 4 different color towels, hand towels and washcloths. This way, visitors will always know which towel is the one they used the night before. To choose the colors, I brought home several colored washcloths and saw which colors I liked, and made my choices.

When you are doing stuff like this for the first time, it does seem hard. When I was decorating my first house I dithered a lot. You just keep doing what you can, and you try to please yourself. If your bathroom is painted in a neutral color, and has neutral colored tile, then I'd recommend starting with your favorite color. Find some washcloths in colors you like a lot, and take them home. Choose one or two and take it from there.

If you end up not liking what you have chosen, it is not the end of the world. You just keep adjusting and working with it. Eventually you get a feel for the colors you like best in your space. I realize this seems like a steep learning curve, but you can do this.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:59 PM

13,037 posts, read 17,982,595 times
Go online and look for a color wheel. Here is one article on using a color wheel there are many.

How to Use a Color Wheel for Decorating - How To Decorate

Old 07-31-2017, 08:23 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,284,163 times
Quote:
Why not have your husband "decorate"? I mean, its just buying stuff you need in colors/patterns that appeal to you & don't clash a room. Paint to agree with your purchases even.
I'm always surprised when I find the things I buy work! The main thing is I like what I purchase. I am really not a person with a vision either. But I do know what I like and what I don't like. Start with just that.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Go online and look for a color wheel. Here is one article on using a color wheel there are many.

How to Use a Color Wheel for Decorating - How To Decorate
thank you thats a nice website for explanation. I am familiar with color wheel. I actually pulled it up on my pinterest to see if i can make sense of my color problem. I know the color theory but in practice it doesn't work unless I stick to monochromatic. I love the monochromatic look & I believe that is the only one I can pull of closely but it looks too staged for real life, too cold & I really want to take it up a notch.

i was impress to read the most common analogoue colors are blue and green. I decided to focus on exactly those two color for my bedroom and bathroom but the exact shade of blue and exact shade of green is the confusing part.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I almost never buy anything all together! In our guest bath, painted 5 years ago a medium gray, I used a shower curtain that I had bought to use in our temporary rental digs. When I finally decided to replace it, I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and chose a gray shower curtain with spots. In the room, I have bought 4 different color towels, hand towels and washcloths. This way, visitors will always know which towel is the one they used the night before. To choose the colors, I brought home several colored washcloths and saw which colors I liked, and made my choices.
This is what happened last time i tried decorating, almost 3 years ago. I decided on a color, cuz I read enough article on google. I wanted everything to be in Blue/Green family. I went for green in my bedroom due to my comforter. So I decided Turquoise for bathroom. i purchesed one item at a time slowly. some how along the way, my Turquoise changed in to blue in some case, green in other case, teal, sea green... I am bouncing between the blue/green color space but the shades are so far away that it doesn't look coherent.

that is why i thought of buying everything at one go, so its all pre-matched at the store. But as I stood by the checkout counter, I realize how monochromatic (boring) I was getting with everything exact shade of turquoise in my cart & that much of color will be overwhelming for my small bathroom.

After a day of thinking about this, I got frustrated and thought "i should just do everything neutral/white". Easiest solution & then I can add 1 color item. My base/big items should be white. This feels like a cop out. So I will order several mats from walmart tomorrow. Try them out & return the ones i don't keep in store.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Why not have your husband "decorate"? I mean, its just buying stuff you need in colors/patterns that appeal to you & don't clash a room. Paint to agree with your purchases even.
I'm always surprised when I find the things I buy work! The main thing is I like what I purchase. I am really not a person with a vision either. But I do know what I like and what I don't like. Start with just that.
My problem with shopping anything (from clothes to decoration item) is that I find what I like & I want to buy it, but then a little voice in my head questions my choose. I quickly become confused and am not sure I really like it & then i go in this hunt to find what I really like. But ofcrures i can't find what I like because my head didn't allow me to like what I truly liked. My first instinct is always correct but i have hard time recognizing and going with it. I go thru this every year over something simple & then stress myself out only to realize its because I have been surpassing my "true self". After this realization, usually i am good for few months where my instinct & me being in touch with myself is sync & then slowly that stupid voice creeps up before i even recognize it

In conclusion, thanks for this post. It reminded me of the very first color/set that made me say "WOW". I then showed my husband, who said "naaaaa, too funky" & that is when the confusion started. I am going to go get that piece and see if i love it at home too without asking my husband what he thinks. My mom and my husband are two people who have very different taste than me & have always left me 2nd guessing myself whenever i asked their opinion.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:39 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,131,206 times
The fact is it can sometimes feel overwhelming when faced with so many choices. For a bathroom I always start with my wall color. Then I decide whether I'm going modern, or vintage look. Usually I choose vintage because I have a 100+ year old home.

So, I choose a window curtain....then a shower curtain....and I tend to choose a neutral color for my curtain. I then choose my towels....and imo anything in that chosen shade works....I just make sure that I buy the rugs in a complementary color....often 2 sets of rugs and towels to match. I change out the towels and rugs using matching colors as needed.

I also pick my wall décor based on what I like, matching at least one color in the pic to my wall color.....For me it is a process....I could never go and buy everything at once.

OP, I think that if you are happy with your wall color, you should buy your favorite shower curtain.....and/or window curtain.

Then choose your towel color and your rugs.

One trick that might help you decide what colors you like....go look in your closet and see what colors are your favorite clothes...it may help.

Since it is a rental and small bathroom....Go neutral on shower curtain, and windows and rugs. Let your pops of color be your towels and wall décor. That way you can change those out when you get bored. For instance, off-white goes with almost any color towels. Or a pretty floral or designed shower curtain....and choosing solid colored towels in whatever color that you prefer in the pattern...Change those out later if you choose.

I think your confidence is shaken by your husband and your Mom....Try not to let them make you feel unconfident. Color is very subjective....choose what you prefer, it is your bathroom.

I'm adding a link to videos on how to use a color wheel. Hope this helps. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...e+it&FORM=VDRE

Last edited by JanND; 08-01-2017 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 08-01-2017, 11:40 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,015,904 times
Quote:
This is what happened last time i tried decorating, almost 3 years ago. I decided on a color, cuz I read enough article on google. I wanted everything to be in Blue/Green family. I went for green in my bedroom due to my comforter. So I decided Turquoise for bathroom. i purchesed one item at a time slowly. some how along the way, my Turquoise changed in to blue in some case, green in other case, teal, sea green... I am bouncing between the blue/green color space but the shades are so far away that it doesn't look coherent.

that is why i thought of buying everything at one go, so its all pre-matched at the store. But as I stood by the checkout counter, I realize how monochromatic (boring) I was getting with everything exact shade of turquoise in my cart & that much of color will be overwhelming for my small bathroom.

After a day of thinking about this, I got frustrated and thought "i should just do everything neutral/white". Easiest solution & then I can add 1 color item. My base/big items should be white. This feels like a cop out. So I will order several mats from walmart tomorrow. Try them out & return the ones i don't keep in store.
When your colors don't look good together, either take something back, or move it to another room. That's what I do! Sometimes I live with it NOT looking good for awhile before deciding what I want to do.

All of us make mistakes. I love blues and greens! If you love them too, I think you should use them, especially now when things in these tones are so available. In a few years, the trends might be toward warmer colors.

I think there is somewhere a thread about all the mistakes posters on this thread have made in decorating. Making mistakes is human. You just keep learning; it is sort of like mastering cooking. When you start out, you do all kinds of crazy things, or you stick to boiling hot dogs. Which way is the better way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating