Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 03:54 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
For those who put up a tree: Real or Not Real? We ALWAYS have a real tree.
We always had real trees until we moved across the country after our youngest graduated college. Then we succumbed to the luxury of a pre-lit artificial tree and the ease of being able to put it up right after Thanksgiving when there are lots of hands to help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 04:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
We put up a tree with the grands. I haul out some Christmas santas and set them up. I decorate the mantel. DH puts lights around our porch and door and I put a wreath on the door, and that is all. My tree ornaments are various ages, and are not discarded after a couple of years.

I do not go crazy with decorations. I think that I do just enough for me.

New Years' Day is when we take down the ornaments, and that is much a tradition as setting it up. Without the grands, taking things down is actually easier. I can take everything down and have it stowed in a day.

When we were traveling over the holidays, I bought a table tree, and set it up on the coffee table. I did nothing else. I did hate the thought of flying home and having to put decorations away the next day. But with grands and kids visiting, I like to have a festive house.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:39 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
We have a fake palm tree that we've had for years. Before even moving to Florida. Simple but pretty. I hang just a few large Waterford Chrystal ornaments on it. It already has lights wrapped around the trunk and palm fronds.

I noticed last year a small section not working . Tried to find the non working bulb but couldn't.

It is unique and I love that tree. Guess I'll have to wait and see what it does this year. We would definitely go with another fake tree if this one craps out. I could try stringing my own lights on it but they never quite look the same as when it comes lit already.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:58 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Real. Fraser fir.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Kathryn, your tree below is red done right. It doesn't make me crazy, and I can tell there's a tree under there.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:

For those who put up a tree: Real or Not Real?
Real Frazier Fir - Since I'm in the mountains where they grow, they are not as costly as elsewhere.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:54 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here's a few more pictures from the last coupla years.
Nice. My wife would commend you on your "straight" lights...lol She is very particular about that kinda stuff.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:

Last year's tree was the most aromatic tree I have ever had. When we brought it in we cut off a few of the bottom branches so we could put it in the holder. I saved those branches. They are really dry now but man, do they STILL smell good! I am going to make a sachet to put the needles in. I have the material but just haven't made it yet. The branches are sitting in the living room waiting but it is making the entire living room smell REALLY good! Has a very Christmasy smell.

Cat
We love the smell of a real tree also. 3 houses ago, we used to have a real tree in front living room and artificial in back living room. It was a pain watering that thing twice a day because the cat used to drink up all the water....smh

Old 08-06-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We put up a tree with the grands. I haul out some Christmas santas and set them up. I decorate the mantel. DH puts lights around our porch and door and I put a wreath on the door, and that is all. My tree ornaments are various ages, and are not discarded after a couple of years.

I do not go crazy with decorations. I think that I do just enough for me.

New Years' Day is when we take down the ornaments, and that is much a tradition as setting it up. Without the grands, taking things down is actually easier. I can take everything down and have it stowed in a day.

When we were traveling over the holidays, I bought a table tree, and set it up on the coffee table. I did nothing else. I did hate the thought of flying home and having to put decorations away the next day. But with grands and kids visiting, I like to have a festive house.
Same with us. We actually designate the 29th and 30th to take down and stow away decorations. My wife has a thing about getting the house back to order before the New Year. Something about bad luck. And I am pretty much no use to anyone New Years Eve and New Years Day....lol...

Old 08-06-2017, 08:06 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Kathryn, your tree below is red done right. It doesn't make me crazy, and I can tell there's a tree under there.
Thank you! Funny story about how I ended up with all that red - I hit a fabulous sale about 20 years ago and all these gorgeous red ornaments were about 80 percent off and I couldn't resist them, so I bought them.

I am not a big fan of red, so I put this tree up in the office - and it's also the "family tree" with the nostalgic family ornaments on it, some of which date back 50 years when red and green were THE Christmas colors. So it works.

I also have a very glamorous tree in the dining room - it's another case of finding a fabulous grouping of ornaments on sale over a few years. It's my "music tree" and it's gold and moss green and chocolate brown and winter white. It's got miniature violins, gold musical notes, doves, gold bugles and french horns, and lots of really beautiful shiny balls in moss green and rich brown - and I got all of them on sale over a period of about three years. I love it.

Then in our living room, we have the two small trees with vintage glass ornaments on them in a riot of colors - I picked up some of these at garage and estate sales and some came from my mother in law and date from my husband's childhood. Since our living room is pretty colorful anyway, I like those two little trees in there.

I can get away with all these different styles because we do NOT have an open concept floor plan. Otherwise it would look pretty stupid I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating