Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 02:59 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,914,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I ended up with a similar problem with my cats and especially when they got older. My bed sits very high off the ground as well. And I have carpet in my bedroom but it did not help with the problem of them getting up and down from the bed. So, I instead, put an ottoman at the foot of the bed so they could jump up on that first and then into the bed. It also worked when I had an antique chest at the foot of the bed at one time. So even if you can find something that they can jump up onto and then into the bed it works wonders on their ability to get up that high and also on the impact from jumping down that far.
I have a trunk at the foot of the bed but he refuses to use it that way. Little stinker. I have led him up and down and it appears he enjoys that moment of flight going down. Scares the heck out of me though. Yes the older kitty will use the trunk to come up on the bed. OH why do we worry so much about our animals. I do not really have room for those nice little stair steps. Kitty would use it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 07:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,901,258 times
Oh man, you guys made me look to see what I'd done and, apparently, I totally messed up. (I'm not changing it, though. )

I did this part mostly okay as per "the rules":

But then I left a big honking gap in front of my couch:

Oh well. (Still no changing it. )

ETA: Note to all you uber-decorators: Don't worry; there's now another painting below the blue one so there's not a huge amount of space underneath it.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:39 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,028,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Most people buy area rugs that are too small and they end up looking like postage stamps.

The front legs of sofas and chairs should be on the rug. The ideal is that the rug go completely under the furniture so that front and back legs are on it, but that often isn't possible.

Why is the loveseat across the room and separated from the sofa? If they match, they should be in an "L" shape. Do you have a photo of the room?
This configuration is not set in stone and not everyone on the planet likes that look or has the room to
place furniture this way. Also, our sofa reclines on both ends, the loveseat and recliner rock in addition to recline so there is no way we could put them in an *L* configuration, it is not practical.

OP: It is your choice how to decorate your home no matter what the *experts* say. Some like the furniture completely on the area rug others do not. You know what you like so do what you like and looks best to you.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:41 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,028,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh man, you guys made me look to see what I'd done and, apparently, I totally messed up. (I'm not changing it, though. )
ETA: Note to all you uber-decorators: Don't worry; there's now another painting below the blue one so there's not a huge amount of space underneath it.
My answer to following *the rules* is, I live by my own rules when it pertains to our home, our clothing, our food, our vehicles, our everything.
We live in our home and what someone else thinks about any of it means nothing to us.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My answer to following *the rules* is, I live by my own rules when it pertains to our home, our clothing, our food, our vehicles, our everything.
We live in our home and what someone else thinks about any of it means nothing to us.
Yep. Hence my "I'm not changing it" note. Two of them.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:59 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,665,066 times
Quote:

Your place looks great!

And I say meh, there are no hard and fast rules. Well, maybe 'cept for the runner that is under that coffee table in a pic posted in this thread but otherwise, not so much.

Most of it depends on what your objective is:

Do you want to protect the floors in an area? Then make sure there is a rug (or rugs) in that particular area to protect the flooring.

If it needs something heavy to hold it in place, then make sure the rug has a heavy object anchoring it whether it be a couch, love seat, chairs, coffee table, etc and/or all of the above.

If the rug isn't quite large enough to anchor it with furniture because it might look a bit out of balance if you did put it under the furniture, then don't. If the rug is huge and will look fine if all your furniture is on top of it, then so be it. If it looks fine with furniture partially on it, then great, do it!

I have seen, and done it myself, every way described above and it looked just fine and served it's purpose.

I say, don't sweat the small stuff. Just do what you want to do with your rugs and be happy! Cuz if you can't be comfortable and happy in your own home then where can you be?

Old 08-20-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Your place looks great!

And I say meh, there are no hard and fast rules. Well, maybe 'cept for the runner that is under that coffee table in a pic posted in this thread but otherwise, not so much.

Most of it depends on what your objective is:

Do you want to protect the floors in an area? Then make sure there is a rug (or rugs) in that particular area to protect the flooring.

If it needs something heavy to hold it in place, then make sure the rug has a heavy object anchoring it whether it be a couch, love seat, chairs, coffee table, etc and/or all of the above.

If the rug isn't quite large enough to anchor it with furniture because it might look a bit out of balance if you did put it under the furniture, then don't. If the rug is huge and will look fine if all your furniture is on top of it, then so be it. If it looks fine with furniture partially on it, then great, do it!

I have seen, and done it myself, every way described above and it looked just fine and served it's purpose.

I say, don't sweat the small stuff. Just do what you want to do with your rugs and be happy! Cuz if you can't be comfortable and happy in your own home then where can you be?
Thank you!

Yeah, I saw that runner. Hilarious! But somehow cute.

Truthfully, I didn't give my rug's placement any thought (except for it being in front of the couch and chair, and below the coffee table), somewhat centered in the room. It was only when I saw this thread that I thought, "hmmm, let me go downstairs..." I hadn't even noticed it from the pictures (posted) that I'd taken last month. Yeah, whatever. Not changing it.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:34 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,296,750 times
Quote:

I love your floor. You're definitely free to do whatever you want. Since posting this thread, I've thought about how an area rug can tie together a part of the room and separate it from other parts. It would fit my taste more if your area rug went slightly under your sofa to indicate that that was one sitting area (in common with the chair).

A friend of mine is coming over Friday and we're going to try to see if we can move the loveseat in a way that works with the room and forms an L. It's 150 pounds and I can't move it myself though.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:57 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,066,460 times
Quote:

I think your house looks great and I love the rug. I really love the color combination of the room!

But yeah, I do think it should be moved over towards the right, so that it anchors the seating area with the sofa, chair and coffee table, instead of sticking out a couple of feet past the chair into the open area. (I know, you are going to ignore me, but I'm saying it anyway! lol!)

Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think your house looks great and I love the rug. I really love the color combination of the room!

But yeah, I do think it should be moved over towards the right, so that it anchors the seating area with the sofa, chair and coffee table, instead of sticking out a couple of feet past the chair into the open area. (I know, you are going to ignore me, but I'm saying it anyway! lol!)
The picture is deceiving -- the rug starts less than a foot from the couch.

But for you emm74 -- because it's you -- I'm going to move it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating