Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 05:33 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,660,386 times

Advertisements

Okay, I see the PW Whisper now (duh, it was the only one I didn't look at because it was too light of a gray and simple pattern, if any).
This is the Plank Weave Whisper shown in a room. I still think it is too plain and light colored but that is just me. It appears that it would be very close to or the same color as your cabinets. If you like it and you prefer to have the kitchen more streamlined with very simple lines and uniformity without much contrast then that is all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 06:24 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,370,746 times
I am totally confused by all the unlabeled photos. I'm not sure what sample is for the cabinets, etc . . .

It looks like the floors in the rest of the house are very warm-toned. I'm not a fan of drastic changes in floor colors from room-to-room, though there are exceptions.

If those warm floors in the photos are in your house, then I'd go with the sample I pasted instead of grey. Or something else close in color.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,445,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
It looks too sterile now, like Resident Evil.

What about wood like vinyl?

https://shawfloors.com/flooring/viny...377/atmosphere

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/643100021759735571
Agree 100%!

Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,940,923 times
I don't think the room is too bright.

I would go with a lighter color than the base cabinets, but darker than the upper cabinets. From your floor plan it appears you are dealing with a fairly small space. A darker floor is going to make the space feel smaller.

OP... you in the UK?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,955,649 times
If you are using real wood throughout your house, it is hard for me to recommend wood look vinyl. The fake wood will suffer in comparison to the real.

But, I think a lighter, warmer tone would look best, as other posters have suggested. Your kitchen is very white! I think a warmer color on the floor would be a nice contrast.

I am really interested in seeing what you finally do choose. We are going to refloor our kitchen next year, and we wood floors. So, even though I really like the vinyl or tile wood look floors, I feel they will not look good butted up to our real wood floors.

I want to suggest the you find a way to introduce a little wood into your kitchen.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:22 AM

22,912 posts, read 18,220,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you are using real wood throughout your house, it is hard for me to recommend wood look vinyl. The fake wood will suffer in comparison to the real.
Real wood will suffer in a kitchen or bath if it gets spilled on or wet over the years. Well, if you don't actually USE the kitchen maybe its looks will survive longer I have some vinyl plank flooring in my kitchen that seems a good compromise. I don't stress out over every splatter or spill, it has the nice warmth and interest of wood, and individual planks can be replaced if damaged.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,356,500 times
Your designer's rendering is showing high-gloss white cabinets, but you said your cabinets are matte-finish. And I'm totally confused with all the photos of the samples.

Anyway, I definitely don't like the square tiles, they look dated. I would go with a plank, and in a darker color because otherwise your kitchen is going to be totally sterile. One thing I wanted to point out is, some of the planks as pictured have the "faux knots" in them, which is a rustic look and can clash with a contemporary kitchen. My friend has the wood-look plank tile in a grayish color with the knots. At a glance they look like spots on the floor. Also, I'm not a fan of that basket-weave pattern either -- it reminds me too much of the old parquet flooring.

I have a Pergo Max laminate plank in a white/beige/gray color called Coastal Pine. Not suggesting you get laminate, but that type of coloring is fantastic -- it doesn't show a thing, including water spots and white dog fur tumbleweeds.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:00 AM

ARGGGHHHH, I just noticed that all of the photos I posted in post #19 and post #21 are now all duplicated. They were all different flooring colors when I initially posted them. I have no idea how or why that happened. How frustrating!

So just totally IGNORE post #19 and #21 because the photos no longer match the descriptions in either of those posts.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:20 AM

After re-reading all of your posts OP, to keep it really simple. I would go with one to maybe up to three shades darker than the marbling on your counter tops if the marbling is as defined as in the photos in your first post. I can't quite tell if the marbling is a gray or more of a brown shade. In your first post it appears to be gray and some of the other posts it appears that it might be a brown shade of marbling.

A darker color (which is what I prefer) would make a very nice bold and rich contrast to your very light white/gray kitchen and would be a great accent to the marbling (again, if the marbling is fairly defined). A much lighter color flooring is going to give the overall kitchen a more sterile and uniformed appearance and will just kind of fade/blend in with the rest of the kitchen. So it just all depends on what look you are going for.

That's my suggestion/opinion on the flooring, for what it is worth, and I am sticking to it.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:18 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,587,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
After re-reading all of your posts OP, to keep it really simple. I would go with one to maybe up to three shades darker than the marbling on your counter tops if the marbling is as defined as in the photos in your first post. I can't quite tell if the marbling is a gray or more of a brown shade. In your first post it appears to be gray and some of the other posts it appears that it might be a brown shade of marbling.

A darker color (which is what I prefer) would make a very nice bold and rich contrast to your very light white/gray kitchen and would be a great accent to the marbling (again, if the marbling is fairly defined). A much lighter color flooring is going to give the overall kitchen a more sterile and uniformed appearance and will just kind of fade/blend in with the rest of the kitchen. So it just all depends on what look you are going for.

That's my suggestion/opinion on the flooring, for what it is worth, and I am sticking to it.
I agree with this, although I think a mid-range color would work too. I really didn't like how the more patterned looks went with the appearance of that kitchen. It has a more modern, clean look, and unless the OP is going for a true wood plank look, it's best to keep with more simple styles. I would pick a color that kind of draws on the darker shades in the marbling (which is hard to pick out in the pictures). Shooting Stars selection in the basket weave pattern just doesn't match the space at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating