Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 07:15 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,990 times

Advertisements

Yay or nay? Worth the extra money? I understand the top wouldn't be reached on a regular basis but think it would be nice to put the extra vertical space to use. I love the look of them personally but not sure of the practicality of them. I would be doing them with a chimney style hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 08:10 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
my cousin has the smaller cabinets on top of the regular cabinets, as the ceilings are high. She has glass doors with display items in it.
It looks nice.
It isnt practical, obviously you cant reach them. So you can store seldon used items, i suppose
I wouldnt want to clean the glass either.

so, put me down for a nay.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:17 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
I love the look of them personally...

Isn't that all that matters?

Old 07-02-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Isn't that all that matters?
Only partly. If it isn't something a lot of people like then I won't get the money I put into them back and it could hinder resale. We will not be in this home forever. In fact most likely 5 years.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 PM

492 posts, read 638,399 times
I did use them for seasonal stuff like Christmas china, picnic basket, Easter platters. And they looked great. I figured once a year I could drag the larger step stool in...

Old 07-02-2017, 09:25 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
I never have understood why people poo-poo having high up cabinets. (not you OP, but others over the years)

So what some of the cabinet space is higher? It's EXTRA storage, in addition to the regular cabinets one could get.

Big deal -- they're not easy to get to on a daily basis. Soooo put stuff in there you won't use every day. As Charmed said, those cabs can be for once or twice a year items.

So you'd rather NOT have the cabinets -- and have a soffitt? So NO additional storage.
Or perhaps cabinets with the open space from the top of the cab box to the ceiling which would have to be cleaned/dusted and so would any tchotchka you'd put up there.

I'd always go for the extra cabinets.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I never have understood why people poo-poo having high up cabinets. (not you OP, but others over the years)

So what some of the cabinet space is higher? It's EXTRA storage, in addition to the regular cabinets one could get.

Big deal -- they're not easy to get to on a daily basis. Soooo put stuff in there you won't use every day. As Charmed said, those cabs can be for once or twice a year items.

So you'd rather NOT have the cabinets -- and have a soffitt? So NO additional storage.
Or perhaps cabinets with the open space from the top of the cab box to the ceiling which would have to be cleaned/dusted and so would any tchotchka you'd put up there.

I'd always go for the extra cabinets.
Ya hate having to dust the tops of cabinets! I've seen library ladders in kitchens for tall cabinets! That's one solution!

Old 07-03-2017, 07:06 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Only partly. If it isn't something a lot of people like then I won't get the money I put into them back and it could hinder resale. We will not be in this home forever. In fact most likely 5 years.

You asked- "yay or nay?" "Is it worth the extra money?"

My retort was basically, if you "love it" do it.

Now, the real truth comes out and it's about resale- if you want that answer you need to talk to an RE agent that has been selling in your area for years. THAT person will give you the right answer for you, and that house.

Any answers you get here are yes or no based on personal preference- which is not the answer you're looking for.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:14 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Eh, we are considering this question now. I think we are going to go with a single, 48" cabinet and a 2 or 3 piece crown instead. We would have to get a ladder to reach the top as we have very high ceilings in the kitchen. Its a nice look with the double stack, but ultimately probably not so useful.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:42 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
So, first you really like them. That's settled.

Then there's the value of having them 5 years from now. On that score, for one thing, if you get them, get them now so you will have had 5 years enjoyment out of them instead of one or two.

If you get them, don't leave a couple of inches on top. I've seen some that are just a little short and look incomplete.

We, too, use ours for seasonal items much as one used the cabinet above the refrigerator. Not very easily reached but essential for the seasonal cooking items. You might want to put only unbreakables up there so they don't fall as you get them down. It really helps with organizing and decluttering the house and the rest of the cabinet shelves.

Sometimes, depending on the cabinet you have now, you can get a good deal on good looking stock cabinets to put on top of what you have. The tallest one piece cabinets always seem very expensive.

Or you can keep the cabinets you have and use the top for displays, as you may do already....baskets, vases, pottery. But, again, I don't like anything important that I get on a ladder to take down to be breakable.

All that said...yes...first thought if you are friendly with a realtor, ask him/her about that. What have your neighbors done in their similar homes?

And, sort of back to the beginning, would you find great joy in doing this? That has value. Some this year might get a concert subscription, take a few trips...but it can be just as valuable if you find joy in looking at your cabinets and fixing them up not only for this year but many years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating