Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 11:52 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times

Advertisements

I have "romantic cottage /shabby chic decor" (I know it's not in style, but it supports 2-3 national magazines so someone must also like it ). My furniture is slip covered and painted and mostly white with some off white.

I just bought a new house and it has amazing desert views with big windows and is currently painted stark white with a light colored carpet and other flooring. I like the light airy feel but figure once I get my furniture in there it will look too white. I plan to lay laminate flooring and paint a "backdrop" color for all my white.

I have posted a pic with the current owners furniture, which coincidentally is quite similar to mine but hers is more of a french country look.

It's bright and sunny most days here in AZ. Do you think Behr "Antique White" would be enough of a backdrop Antique White 23 or do you think I need more tone?

Any other suggestions? Would it look okay to keep the white and have white on white?

Also, what color laminate would you choose? I like the grey browns!

background paint color question for white furniture-lilys.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 11:53 AM

Anyone know who to get that right side up? It is on my PC. I even turned it upside down on my computer and it still came out wrong :-(
Attached Thumbnails
background paint color question for white furniture-lilys.jpg  

Old 08-10-2017, 01:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I suggest that you choose a blue that represents the blue desert sky. You will not be able to match the sky color, but you will be able to represent it. You can use a lighter tone if that feels right, but I wouldn't go too, too light. You can certainly choose a more "neutral" looking blue. Here is a link to some blues that might work:

https://www.google.com/search?q=benj...w=1432&bih=844

I can't tell if you will have white trim, but white trim with your cottage furnishings would look best, and would be set off by the blue as well.

I think I would also want a darker floor.

I do think that white furniture and white walls is too much white. And it wouldn't hurt to have a wood finished piece of furniture in your room, as well.

I hope you love your new house.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:51 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
You can choose whichever paint color you love most that isn't white or black. Something orange like a burnt orange with a light wood laminate would work well with white furniture. It will provide a nice contrast to your white furniture without being too stark, and it continues the conversation with the desert. The look is pretty versatile so you can go more modern or transitional with that palette if you redecorate in the future. Orange also gives a nice pop to indoor greenery if you plan on having a dramatic plant or two. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:02 PM

Thanks, I should have mentioned that my accents are currently green and pink (as in shabby chic)...the counter in the kitchen (which is open to the living room) has some dark blue tile around the edge.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:22 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Burnt orange will work well with blue and white. I'm not sure if there is anything inherently shabby or chic about pink or green other than they can be used in tasteful and not-so-tasteful ways as with any color. Avoid painting your walls around your accents. Accents are exactly what they are, pops of color that may come and go easily with your mood to change things up.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:28 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I would get the floor in before deciding on a paint color. I'm guessing you mean a wood look laminate? I would go with something medium, not too light. And then see how much more contrast you need on the walls. You don't want to go with something that takes away from the light and airy feel.

Something in this range as far as floor color darkness

https://na.pergo.com/flooring/lamina...toffee-hickory

http://na.pergo.com/flooring/laminat...lden-tigerwood

Old 08-10-2017, 04:03 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Thanks, I should have mentioned that my accents are currently green and pink (as in shabby chic)...the counter in the kitchen (which is open to the living room) has some dark blue tile around the edge.
I painted my back bedroom a vivid garden green (sort of a bright, light green) when I had all white-painted antique furniture in there. At the time the heart pine floors were still their lighter color (they're a little darker now since I stained them), and I had a pink and green antique quilt on the bed. I loved the shabby country look (then). Now all my furniture is dark Victorian and my walls are a warm cream color.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Burnt orange will work well with blue and white. I'm not sure if there is anything inherently shabby or chic about pink or green other than they can be used in tasteful and not-so-tasteful ways as with any color. Avoid painting your walls around your accents. Accents are exactly what they are, pops of color that may come and go easily with your mood to change things up.
Orange and yellow are my least favorite colors. I was thinking Understated: BEHR Premium Plus Ultra 1-gal. #BNC-02 Understated Satin Enamel Interior Paint-775001 - The Home Depot

Old 08-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I would get the floor in before deciding on a paint color. I'm guessing you mean a wood look laminate? I would go with something medium, not too light. And then see how much more contrast you need on the walls. You don't want to go with something that takes away from the light and airy feel.

Something in this range as far as floor color darkness

https://na.pergo.com/flooring/lamina...toffee-hickory

http://na.pergo.com/flooring/laminat...lden-tigerwood
Thanks, that second one feels closer to what I am thinking.

I prefer something in a cool tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating