Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:09 PM

638 posts, read 594,129 times

Advertisements

Yeah I mean the entire unit not just the faceplate. I want small switches! Not these ridiculous dinner plate things

I was thinking about bringing some from Europe but my British electrician thinks only basic on off will work, no dimmers.

Even the budget $1 switches here in the uk look 10 times better then the standard crap there, with nice small switches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 04:01 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
Wow. Those are pretty interesting, Robino1! Funnily enough, I was just looking at light switch plates last night. I have the need for some oversized plates to cover up some rough / missing drywall. I was browsing one of the cabinet hardware links and found some very cool light cover plate as well. Let's see if I can remember where...

Oh yes. Here is one of my favourites:
House of Antique Hardware

Also found a few nice ones here:
D Lawless Hardware

The big box hardware stores are actually expanding out and have some very nice selections these days. Check out Home Depot, Lowes, and Menard's.

If your tastes range to the, uh, less traditional (like Robino1's link), you might also look on Etsy for some one of a kind art pieces. I am seriously considering a nice Cthulhu light switch cover for my bedroom. Not dead, but dreaming.

Oh man. I looked at chiluvr1228's link and it was crazy expensive for everything I saw. Nice looking stuff, though.

In my particular case, I am in love with the metallic plates that are all fancy, but my mother freaked out at having metal around electrical, especially in the BATHROOM, and nixed that idea. Probably going to put a nice ceramic plate in there.

-T.
The first link you posted, they actually have different colored switches not just the cover plate.

Oh man, going into browsing hell again ROFL!!!

Old 08-15-2017, 04:41 PM

348 posts, read 416,093 times
The Legrand Adorne that was linked earlier looks light it might be a slight compromise for you. You're right - the British rocker switches are so much nicer looking.

-T.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:58 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post

Wow! Some wonderful choices. Now if the toggle switch is old & discolored do I have to get an electrician to replace them?

Old 08-16-2017, 07:05 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Wow! Some wonderful choices. Now if the toggle switch is old & discolored do I have to get an electrician to replace them?
Yes, or you could just clean it up with a plastic Chore Boy scrubby.

If you have to ask whether you need an electrician to replace a light switch, you need an electrician to replace a light switch.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If you're not comfortable changing out an outlet or light switch, you should have an electrician do it.

It really is simple to do though. Make sure the power is off to the switch before doing anything. You can probably YouTube the procedure.

I'm sooooo considering some of these face plates.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yes, or you could just clean it up with a plastic Chore Boy scrubby.

If you have to ask whether you need an electrician to replace a light switch, you need an electrician to replace a light switch.
Some of the old white ones start turning yellow. Nothing gets them new looking again.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:23 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default The issue is really not "technical" in an electrical context ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
Yeah I mean the entire unit not just the faceplate. I want small switches! Not these ridiculous dinner plate things

I was thinking about bringing some from Europe but my British electrician thinks only basic on off will work, no dimmers.

Even the budget $1 switches here in the uk look 10 times better then the standard crap there, with nice small switches!
I was in Australia a while ago and the switches and dimmers in most homes looked like this -- https://www.clipsal.com/getmedia/2c5...=1000&ext=.png

The "guts" of them would certainly work in the US. The issues is that the they are NOT certified as "safe" by the UL, which is sort of the privately funded (by insurance industry) authority that controls the verification. The other thing is that those things are SIZED internally to fit in the metric built junction boxes. Apparently there was a time when Australia was on "imperial units" and part of the "charm" of old homes down under is a nightmare for electrical contractors trying to retrofit things. Maybe there are sources of "old fashioned" stuff that would work...

Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
About to remodel my place on the west coast and I've realised that light switches in the states are uniformly terrible. I see everything from 60k condos to $6m homes with the same god awful huge white plastic white light switches.

Is anyone aware of a good source of nice looking "designer" light switches?

I would personally go with motion sensor switches.

The reason Debora switches are used is simple. Cheap. Hey look clean and thecswitch itself doesn't stick out like the typical toggle switches do.

My pet peeve is when someone has bone colored switches and receptacles and they put WHITE cover plates. It's a serious "WTF are you thinking" moment for me. To me it reeks of laziness and I'm too cheap to actually do it right,

Old 08-16-2017, 04:26 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I found ones that I REALLY love-and Hubby loves them, too. The issue? The price.

Como Single Toggle Switch Plate in Antique-By-Hand | House of Antique Hardware

I would need 9 of the single, 2 of double, 2 of the triple and few of the others. That is over $166 just for the singles. Can I justify spending that $$$ on just light plates?

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating