Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 05:13 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times

Advertisements

I thought about just doing ones for the bathrooms

for now.

Then maybe the bedrooms

Kitchen

Offices

Who am I kidding, I'm just dreaming at this point. I still have to figure out the drawer and cabinet pulls for the kitchen. Those need to come first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 07:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Yes, or you could just clean it up with a plastic Chore Boy scrubby.

If you have to ask whether you need an electrician to replace a light switch, you need an electrician to replace a light switch.

LOL - I'm lucky I know how to change a light bulb. I have never been a DIYer and make no apologies for it. It's people like me that help keep others in business.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:28 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Few firms want to deviate from the standard wall plate sizes. You might be able to consolidate multiple paddle switches with a multi-circuit switch:
Pass & Seymour makes a four switch device that replaces fits into a a single Decora style cover plate -- https://www.cesco.com/Pass---Seymour...White/p1965971

I wish I had known about this before! But my builder wouldn't have installed them anyway, and now there's already a hole in the wall for

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/625...BoCVAUQAvD_BwE

Old 08-17-2017, 12:37 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I wish I had known about this before! But my builder wouldn't have installed them anyway, and now there's already a hole in the wall for

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/625...BoCVAUQAvD_BwE

Well, the "problem" isn't always the switch(es)- it's the size of the J-box. The NEC has code restrictions on how many "wires" can be inside a certain sized J-box.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:49 PM

85 posts, read 75,774 times
Haha! Feel your pain! One of my quirks during our renovation was light switches. We ultimately went with leGrand touch switches. They are glass touch and are all dimmers. Very smooth and sleek looking. Quite pricey but worth it imo and something that everyone that comes over happens to notice (I didn't expect that) they have an entire series of switch plates and even offer ones that you can customize yourself with paint or wallpaper or textiles etc... they were simple to install too, embarrassed to say we have 30 dimmers throughout our first floor that is 700sq ft. Kinda obsessed with lighting control and creating "ambiance". I think my husband just kinda gave up towards the end of our renovation and wanted to be done and gave into my quirks. Too bad I couldn't get my way with the trimless led high hats I wanted. Next house ;-p

https://www.legrand.us/adorne/produc...=ADTH700RMTUW1

Last edited by Winky76; 08-19-2017 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Link addition

Old 08-29-2017, 03:21 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
AAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Whenever I find ones that I like they are either a. too expensive or b. they don't come in all the configurations that I need (or both).

The ones that I found in ALL the configurations, I don't care too much for-or they are just too expensive (or both).

This wasn't supposed to be difficult.

Cat

Old 08-30-2017, 07:43 PM

510 posts, read 716,595 times
You can actually create cool looking switch plates yourself - it's an easy project. You can Use a map, wrapping paper, almost any paper or document to make a very personalized plate.

All you need is an X-acto knife, paper, a bare switch plate and decoupage glue (found at a craft store).

Check out this tutorial. Believe me it's easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg9jgYdJJzc

Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwtm View Post
You can actually create cool looking switch plates yourself - it's an easy project. You can Use a map, wrapping paper, almost any paper or document to make a very personalized plate.

All you need is an X-acto knife, paper, a bare switch plate and decoupage glue (found at a craft store).

Check out this tutorial. Believe me it's easy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg9jgYdJJzc

No, because I want metal ones-either antique brass or bronze.

I was trying to find one pattern for the entire house but decided that I don't have to have the same pattern. I have realized that the room I need to compromise in is the kitchen. I have 7 different configurations and there are very few patterns that come in all 7. The other rooms (besides the bathrooms) are pretty straight forward one, two, or three toggles and I can get those in just about any pattern. The bathrooms only have one configuration each so I don't have to worry about matching. I'm not going to bother getting the outlets for the other rooms. No one will see them anyway. Now, I have to decide whether I want the spend the $$$ on the ones that I REALLY like for the other rooms.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating