Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:17 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I did NOT want white cabinets but I ended up replacing the crappy old white cabinets that were here (and more than 30+ years old) because my kitchen is SO tiny that darker cabinets would just be overbearing. The kitchen barely fits one person, doesn't have a window and is closed off so you just feel boxed in already.

Around me, when I look at the real estate, you see all kinds of things in all kinds of kitchens. I don't find anything to be more prevalent than the other, except kitchens updated in the last ten years are more likely to have stainless steel appliances.
Oh, I completely agree about not wanting white cabinets. We haven't decided on a finish yet for out new build, but it will definitely be a stained-wood finish, NOT painted cabinets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 06:29 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Here is your headache. Our new kitchen wall.
Ha ha! That's quite a back splash! At least you had the sense to put in a solid counter.

While it's not my particular style, I must say your kitchen looks extremely well designed and thought out.

Did you use a kitchen designer for the layout? I looks very easy to cook in and find everything you need with ease.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:34 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Quartz is the new quartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Did you use a kitchen designer for the layout? I looks very easy to cook in and find everything you need with ease.
1. Spent 3+ years thinking, planning.
2. Did prelim design. I made 6 pages of detailed drawings.
3. Hired architect we have known (32 years) and used for past projects. He suggested moving refrigerator from left to right. Excellent idea.
4. I am blown away by how the Miele ovens really make difference in cooking results.
5. The Wolf cooktop is amazing with its sleek design and 20K BTU center burner.
6. The tile is Heath Ceramics' Dwell Little Diamond pattern.
7. The quartz is Hanstone Aurora Snow which is what we had.
8. I have my Sub-Zero fridge goddamnit. Had one for 24 years in the old house.
9. The Sub-Zero wine cooler is causing our wine expenditures to increase.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:27 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
All the rage now but no one will want it in five years? Do you think natural stones (granite, marble) will have timeless longevity and quartz will become dated?
I don't know how long quartz will be popular.

For me, natural is always preferable to man made.

Other peoples mileage may vary.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:17 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
For me, natural is always preferable to man made
Which is why we all use smoke signals and not cell phones.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:47 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Which is why we all use smoke signals and not cell phones.
Not the same thing at all. Like having a diamond instead of a cubic zirconia.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:31 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
All the rage now but no one will want it in five years? Do you think natural stones (granite, marble) will have timeless longevity and quartz will become dated?
Quartz has been around for many years. It has just recently taken over as the most popular countertop material, but it's been available for a long time. Lots of reasons why - more colors, more appealing patterns, no sealing, etc. Granite is certainly "dated", (I personally have never liked it - the colors and patterns are awful) but that doesn't mean that plenty of folks don't still prefer it. Marble is timeless and classic and all that stuff, everyone thinks it's beautiful, but most don't want to deal with the etching and staining. Quartzite is, to me, the most beautiful, but so much of it is part marble, it's hard to be sure what the heck you are really getting from the stoneyard. Corian is cool stuff because it's so easily repaired. Many love it for bathrooms due to the integrated sinks that look so nice.

Given all that, I would say that quartz isn't going anywhere - it certainly won't be replaced by any of ^^those materials.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:41 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Possibly. Fashions change. I don't like the look of the plain quartz, but they do make top end quartz that you can't tell from granite by looking at it. That might be a good counter top to put in if you want quartz and don't want to worry about it looking dated.

I don't want quartz because you can't put anything hot on it or risk melting it. I'd rather deal with fending off oil stains (proper sealing) than to worry about setting a hot pot down on the counter.

I happen to like tile and don't care what anyone else thinks since it is my kitchen and not theirs. I have never had even the slightest problem with the grout on my tile counter tops and I don't even make a fuss over caring for the tile, just regular clean as I go when I cook. You can set hot pots of it. Knives don't damage it. It doesn't stain. It is easy to clean. It comes in such a variety of colors and patterns. I've never chipped it, but a chipped tile is very easy and cheap to repair and long as you have a few spares tucked away for repairs.
I took a boiling pot of water and set it on my quartz counter. Surprisingly, it did not melt.
Really? You think that quartz "melts" if you put a hot pot on it??? No, it won't. However, what MIGHT happen is that you could possibly get a heat ring. Just depends on the brand of quartz (they have slight differences in resin content) and what you are sitting on it. It's a pretty simple deal to use a trivet or hot pad.

Is Quartz Heat Resistant?

Last edited by ChessieMom; 09-16-2017 at 10:53 PM..

Old 09-16-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:

1. Spent 3+ years thinking, planning.
2. Did prelim design. I made 6 pages of detailed drawings.
3. Hired architect we have known (32 years) and used for past projects. He suggested moving refrigerator from left to right. Excellent idea.
4. I am blown away by how the Miele ovens really make difference in cooking results.
5. The Wolf cooktop is amazing with its sleek design and 20K BTU center burner.
6. The tile is Heath Ceramics' Dwell Little Diamond pattern.
7. The quartz is Hanstone Aurora Snow which is what we had.
8. I have my Sub-Zero fridge goddamnit. Had one for 24 years in the old house.
9. The Sub-Zero wine cooler is causing our wine expenditures to increase.
All that homework shows.

Honestly, most kitchens are thrown together. I don't mean they have to be expensive. I just expect them to be well thought out.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

I don't know how long quartz will be popular.

For me, natural is always preferable to man made.

Other peoples mileage may vary.
My take on Quartz is that it is made of natural products.

To me, it's no different than how a linoleum floor is made of linseed oil, pine rosin, cork dust, and wood flour and is considered an eco-concious choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating