Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 08:10 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times

Advertisements

I have an antique oak dining room table that has one spot on the end where the finish is completely worn off. I don't know anything about this. What product can I use to fix this one spot without having to refinish the whole table?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
How we can help without a picture?

Old 09-16-2017, 09:45 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Depending on the size of the spot, I would check out wood furniture pens that allow you to color in the spot.

Also, wood stains, especially those used for hardwood floors that match the color of your table.

Maybe both of the above.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:27 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Without knowing any particulars about the table- plan on a total refinish.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:43 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Are we talking about a spot the size of a water droplet or a glass or a dinner plate?

Old 09-17-2017, 07:40 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
If it is only the finish and the stain has not lifted or discolored (like a water ring), then you'll need extra fine grade sandpaper, tack cloths, 0000 steel wool, and a can or two of Deft spray lacquer. Work outside in the shade on a not humid day.

Keep in mind this is just a patch job. You can do the whole tabletop, but load up on the supplies listed above if you decide to do that. In the long run, you'll probably be happier with doing the whole tabletop, FWIW.

Using the sandpaper, sand the area that's worn plus a 2-3 inch zone around the worn off area. Brush off and clean with the tack cloth. Shake the lacquer cans vigorously and often during the spraying. Spray in a slow sweeping back & forth motion to cover the area with a thin coat. If you get a bead or a run, lightly use a finger to quickly wipe it flat. Let dry (should be pretty quick, about 10 minutes). Spray again as before and let dry. Spray again and let dry. Buff well with the 0000 steel wool. Clean with the tack cloth. At this point, you'll do a spray coat and then the steel wool 1-2 more times.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:42 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Are we talking about a spot the size of a water droplet or a glass or a dinner plate?
Closer to a dinner plate and it wouldn't show up in a photo. If the light hits it just right you can see that it is just wiped away. It has to do with kids and my son always sitting there and scrubbing goob off of that one spot continuously for years. Moved to a new house and noticed it. Would just like to make it perfect again if I can. I find it hard to believe this is something that would need a total new finish. It just looks dull there depending on the lighting.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:48 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Closer to a dinner plate and it wouldn't show up in a photo. If the light hits it just right you can see that it is just wiped away. It has to do with kids and my son always sitting there and scrubbing goob off of that one spot continuously for years. Moved to a new house and noticed it. Would just like to make it perfect again if I can. I find it hard to believe this is something that would need a total new finish. It just looks dull there depending on the lighting.
Without seeing a picture or knowing what kind of finish is on the table or what the spot even looks like from a picture, then just try some Old English. It comes in many different shades so just pick one that you think might be the right shade and try it. If that won't work, then you may have to sand and refinish the whole table top.

And if you are noticing the spot more now that you moved, is it because the light or sun shines on it more to be that noticeable? If so, then it may not be possible to get it so it doesn't show when the light hits it without sanding/refinishing it because the spot is more than likely now a different texture than the rest of the table top.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
We found a furniture refinisher through Angie's list who fixed the finish on our dining room table. He did an excellent job.

I recommend you find a local refinisher, who has posted pics of his work, and either ask him to do the job, or pay for his advice on how to do it.

I've known of old furniture with layers of stuff on them, such as stain, shellac and varnish. Newer, refinished oak pieces might simply be stained and finished with tung oil. You don't want to make the spot worse, so, I'd recommend getting the entire top refinished. You probably do not know how the top was finished or refinished, unless you have direct knowledge, so you need an expert.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2017, 02:50 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
If it's a solid wood table, you'll get the best results if you refinish the whole table top. Would be 10X better and about the same amount of work - same tools... as trying to do just one spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating