Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 08:19 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times

Advertisements

I need help choosing a color for my window shades (they will be honeycomb, top down), should they match the window trim. walls, or? I am in AZ with lots of sunlight.

My walls are toasted almond (https://www.ppgpittsburghpaints.com/...d-almond-414-3) and my trim is a shade of white which I don't have a swatch to post. My new floors are like barn board: grey, beige and cream and match the walls well.

I am considering using select blinds as a friend did and she had good luck with them. They are much more reasonable than Hunter Douglas but I'm sure not the same quality.

https://www.selectblinds.com/?gclid=...170925141450:s

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 09:47 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
In your case, I would have the shades match the trim as best that you can.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:41 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,227,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
In your case, I would have the shades match the trim as best that you can.
Thank you!

Old 09-25-2017, 02:04 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Also consider how they will look from the outside of the house. You want uniformity of all window shades, so pick a color that goes well with both the inside and outside. I like white trim inside and out, so -- off white shades.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:43 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I went with as close as I could get to the trim color. I don't have other window treatments in most rooms, so I liked the cleaner look with a little bit of contrast to the walls as they are a light gray but dark enough to have a nice contrast with the trim

Old 09-25-2017, 04:42 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,206,292 times
If you live in an HOA you might have to have the outside a certain color. Mine requires white.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
If the trim is handsome, I'd probably use a tone similar to the wall color in order to show off the trim. If the trim is narrow and/or unrxceptional, I'd probably match it.

In one of our bedrooms we actually used a tone similar to our light wood furniture, and it looks good.

I don't think there is a rule for this, and if there was I am sure plenty of us would rebel. When you are looking at samples, find the colors that seem most in harmony with your room, and choose from them.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:51 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If the trim is handsome, I'd probably use a tone similar to the wall color in order to show off the trim. If the trim is narrow and/or unrxceptional, I'd probably match it.

In one of our bedrooms we actually used a tone similar to our light wood furniture, and it looks good.

I don't think there is a rule for this, and if there was I am sure plenty of us would rebel. When you are looking at samples, find the colors that seem most in harmony with your room, and choose from them.

Just wanted to add that in my son's bedroom, we installed "espresso" colored wood blinds to match his furniture. I agree that using a color to match some other feature in the room often works well. I really like the dark blinds in his room, but we don't have any window trim in there at all and I think you can get away with a lot of striking things in discreet rooms. Not sure I'd do that with windows that sort of flow throughout the house, especially with an open floor plan.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:19 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Also consider how they will look from the outside of the house. You want uniformity of all window shades, so pick a color that goes well with both the inside and outside. I like white trim inside and out, so -- off white shades.
This is how I do it, too. In my case it has almost always been white in my houses, but I would also consider other colors if my house exterior colors were different.

I so much agree with luv4horses on the uniformity and what it looks like from the outside.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:17 PM

220 posts, read 469,908 times
I've always done white to match the trim. It just gives you more options in the future if you want to paint the room or change curtains, and allows the blind to be part of the window but not a feature. But, of course there are a zillion shades of white, and if it's not a close match it doesn't look great. If you're going to get custom window treatments, it's nice if they actually look custom!

All of the sites will send you free samples. Order any whites or off-whites that you think might possibly work. It's definitely worth he trouble.

(Must say, though, it makes my husband crazy! I think he actually hides if he sees samples like that coming out.....he knows that his statement of "they all look white to me" isn't going to cut it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating