Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:43 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People who buy high-end top quality timeless looking furniture don't get bored with them easily. Stuff that cost thousands of dollars, and has superior craftsmanship just can't be replaced every move. And why?
Cheap or trendy furniture, on the other hand, gets boring, looks used fast, or doesn't fit with new trends, and one doesn't feel any personal attachment to it.
That's why I don't follow the short living trends, and the only time I would think to sell any of mine would be a downsizing. But then, I have son who would gladly try to put them in his house.
There are other ways to update the interior - with paint, trims and accessories.
WOW-- no judgement here at all!

Who says that people who change often have "cheap and trendy"? Obviously you disagree with changing your decor and that is fine. I made no good/bad distinction either way. But just because someone say, moves from a house built in 1940 to a house built in 1890 with a totally different look, feel and layout does not mean that their 4K sofa will work in that space.

I don't get attached to furniture save a few pieces. Its just stuff. And some stuff looks better in one space than other stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like the idea of seeing things with a fresh eye when moving to a new place. I have kept some things that I like, and bought some new things in every place I've lived.
When moving from north to south, there were many things that were just too visually heavy for the southern, beachy vibe.
I think we change as we age, and our surroundings should reflect us.
Like Oprah once said. Your hairdo might have looked good in the 70s, but that doesn't mean you should still be wearing it now. Same with your furniture.
Exactly. I think sometimes people get stuck in a rut, decor-wise.

Old 09-28-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
We have never been keen on the current trends having definite taste in the Bauhaus classics.

Did without or improvised with home made until we could afford what we love.
We now have some classic Eames, Nelson, Noguchi and Le Corbusier and will not part with them.

Daughter is a Wayfare kinda gal though.
Sounds like you have some gorgeous pieces.

When I lived in a California Eichler, my decor and furniture was perfect for that space. I then moved to a Beaux Arts co-op in a major urban center on the East Coast. Lots of those pieces that were perfect for CA looked strange in my 10' ceilinged space with original plaster work. Some of it worked, much of it didn't. I invested in a great big chesterfield sofa and kept a few accent chairs. Much of what I had bought for my previous home got sold (and some of it at a profit!)

Last edited by emotiioo; 09-28-2017 at 06:57 AM..

Old 09-28-2017, 09:05 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
People who buy high-end top quality timeless looking furniture don't get bored with them easily. Stuff that cost thousands of dollars, and has superior craftsmanship just can't be replaced every move. And why?
Cheap or trendy furniture, on the other hand, gets boring, looks used fast, or doesn't fit with new trends, and one doesn't feel any personal attachment to it.
That's why I don't follow the short living trends, and the only time I would think to sell any of mine would be a downsizing. But then, I have son who would gladly try to put them in his house.
There are other ways to update the interior - with paint, trims and accessories.
That's more or less the way we see it. I'm open to the idea of buying new furniture, but every time we move we end up deciding to keep the pieces we have. They're classic, and I can never find anything new that I like as much as the pieces I already have. Also, they're well made, and, as I noted in the other thread on this topic, they just don't make things like they used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I thought we would sell most of our furniture and buy new pieces after we moved. But in reality we only sold half our things and ended up moving more than I would have guessed. Sentiment took over, plus we realized it might be hard to replace some items. They just don't make things like they used to.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:45 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
When we moved from Florida to Colorado, we sold off most of our furniture in Florida for a couple of reasons.

1. It wasn't the greatest quality of furniture so the cost to move it just wasn't justifiable.
2. The décor was more in line for a typical Florida home and not a Colorado home. Bright colors, glass, tile, etc. An example is that the couches were bright red.
3. We wanted to buy better quality furniture when we arrived in Colorado which would match the type of home we purchased.

4. If/When we move next time, chances are, we will keep what we have currently because we really like the style and the quality of the pieces.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:51 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Nah, I'm just too cheap to constantly buy new furniture. I still have some IKEA chairs from decades ago when we were just starting out in life. Aside from being a total El Cheapo, there's a story behind every piece of furniture that we bought and it's hard to say good bye to meaningful history like that.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:39 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
....Do you change your furniture often or do you buy a set and use it until it wears out?
I am in the process of changing quite a bit of my living room furniture, a kitchen cabinet and a lounge chair and rearranging my rooms. All of this stuff is about 15 years old - most of it was handmade either back then, or even earlier. I liked it very much and it looked good in the three places where I have used it.

Problem? I have a bad spine condition, now exacerbated by a rapid advance of osteoarthritis, and all the furniture I am replacing has become too uncomfortable (or even painful) to sit on, and I need a large free-standing cabinet in the kitchen to use in place of the lower shelves under the kitchen countertop which are becoming difficult to use.

In fact, I bought the very last replacement piece today.

I enjoyed acquiring the furniture that I've gotten rid of from old local artisans or from Levantine junk dealers, and I was really happy with its look. It was the first furniture for my first ever owned home, so aside from being a quirky, personal collection....it said "home" finally after most of my adult life in rentals and living on a pinched budget. So, a certain amount of sentimentality was invested in it.

But somewhere in life I did manage to become practical and get some helpful callouses on my psyche. So, it went to a resale place. I will be for more comfortable and live a bit more easily, and that bottom line matters more than anything else. Otherwise I probably would have kept it for another ten years, with some new fabrics necessary at some point probably. But there was/is no otherwise.

In the past I bought fairly carefully at the level of my budget and kept stuff until it really began to show bad signs of wear, or broke or something like that. I have a probably neurotically overdeveloped sense or need for the feeling of "home," which I think plays a large part in my not changing stuff very often....though I would/will add to my decor.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
When we moved from Florida to Colorado, we sold off most of our furniture in Florida for a couple of reasons.

1. It wasn't the greatest quality of furniture so the cost to move it just wasn't justifiable.
2. The décor was more in line for a typical Florida home and not a Colorado home. Bright colors, glass, tile, etc. An example is that the couches were bright red.
3. We wanted to buy better quality furniture when we arrived in Colorado which would match the type of home we purchased.

4. If/When we move next time, chances are, we will keep what we have currently because we really like the style and the quality of the pieces.
Yes, some pieces do really look strange in homes that have a totally different language. Regional differences can result in a furniture purge. I like to let the house speak to me and decorate accordingly.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:23 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
I get the idea of changing decor to match a region, but that's never been my style. It must be a rebellious streak in me. I like having the house that's a little bit different, and I like taking the beach with me wherever I go!

I've collected a certain style called Caribbean (or sometimes British Colonial) for 30 years and although I sometimes toy with the idea of trying something different, I know it would me sad if I actually did so. I have some really good memories with that furniture, plus my beach look makes me happy.

And it tickles the neighbors, too. Everywhere we move, people love my house and want to come over. We've only been in the Williamburg house 3 months, and it's already been designated as the place to hang out for Friday afternoon cocktails. It's different, it's fun, it has palm trees, and no matter where we live someone says "It's five o'clock somewhere" and that makes our house the place to relax. I figure my house is meant to be a place that appeals to me, and even if I live in Colonial Williamsburg the closest I'll get to a colonial decor will be my "British Colonial Ethan Allen" bedroom, LOL.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:24 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,420 times
I haven’t change my furniture,yet. It has been 15 years. Good design and quality pieces aren’t cheap so, i cant afford to change it often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating