Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 08:29 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I love this look, you see it a lot down here. Staggered uppers are really nice, imho.

I like them with the glass doors too. Looks very country French when done in whites/eggshell, even distressed.

It is a pretty kitchen, but the staggered cabinets are too busy for me. Just a personal preference. I like a straight line at the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 08:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't know if I have mild OCD but those cabinets not being the same height would drive me crazy. My pervious house had the space at the top and I put a lot of greenery up there, including some hanging down where it didn't affect opening & closing the cabinet door. Go to Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's and get some greenery.

I would never have faux greenery in that space. I have seen pictures of houses for sale that have the fake greenery on top of the cabinets and I wonder why they didn't clear it out for the pictures. To me, it looks dated. Of course, if you enjoy it in your home, then that is what you should have.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:38 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
My mother uses the space (which is considerable) to display her teapots (from around the world) collection.

I would think it would look busy, but it looks nice and makes the place more homey.

It looks like there's about 20 in in the top of our cabinets to the ceiling on one part of our kitchen. I never noticed in 7 years, nor has it cause me any grief or consternation.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:45 AM

64 posts, read 61,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Oh PULHEASE put me on your ignore list!

I have a design business as a side project and certain things just make my skin crawl. Sorry for being OCD about the way things look but its the way my brain is wired. You took this to a whole different level with "harming and unborn child." Dramatic much?

My home is not for sale. I like what I like. Check out the grey paint hater's thread for strong opinions about something as simple to change as paint color. I have equally strong opinions about what looks good in a kitchen. Just cruise around this forum for all kinds of fights over what looks good vs what doesn't. And as you saw fit to disparage what little you know of my taste, I will continue to vent about what I don't like about others. See how that works? Again, please put me on your ignore list if this so offends you.
Your “bedside manner” must Have an abundance of clients lining up for you! I see though that it is a side project. That explains your lack of diplomacy in a field where it is key.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, I'm not happy about my dropped kitchen cabinets either (the previous owners installed them as an "upgrade"), but they're at the bottom of my budget list of things to change about the house. I can't even reach the top shelves without a ladder anyway. Even if I did put new cabinets in, there would probably be some real adjustments needed since my 1927 ceilings have some slant to them. I try to look at the situation as a positive, since the space above the long run of cabinets provides a convenient place for the cats to jump off the refrigerator and run along the cabinets and hide if there are workmen in the house.
Cats. This is important to them. DON'T CHANGE IT! lol

Old 10-04-2017, 09:53 AM

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who don't like my dropped cabinets and don't like that I've put stuff (not greenery but various kitcheny stuff from the 1930s and 1940s) on top of them either. I don't care. They don't live in my house. I do.

When we put our last house on the market, it also had high ceilings and dropped cabinets and a lot of the same decorating going on, on top of them. No complaints from any showings and the house sold quickly. I thought about taking the stuff down but then decided to wait and see if we had any negative comments, which we didn't so I'm glad I enjoyed what I like till the movers came - and then I put it right back up in the next house!

Old 10-04-2017, 10:28 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDesign View Post
Your “bedside manner” must Have an abundance of clients lining up for you! I see though that it is a side project. That explains your lack of diplomacy in a field where it is key.
I am much nicer to people who are paying me... But I have zero qualms telling someone that we can't work together when our visions don't align. My financial wellness is excellent in this business, so don't concern yourself a moment. I am never hurting for work.

I do think certain things should be outlawed design-wise. The world would be a much better looking place.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:42 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,071,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
...e space above the long run of cabinets provides a convenient place for the cats to jump off the refrigerator and run along the cabinets and hide if there are workmen in the house.
We had that effect in a previous kitchen. We put tomato boxes atop the cabinets and the kitties used them as primary napping places. You could just see their little ears sticking up. In this house, the 30-inch uppers run to a 6-inch box that hides the upper tier of lighting. The lower tier is at the back of the cabinet bottoms. Kitties have moved to a large sheepskin pillow between the cat trees in the living room.

On the matter of floors, I agree with the importance of picking just one. As in one for the sun-room (area rugs over ceramic tile), one for the living room (high-end 12x20 carpet over vinyl tile), one for the kitchen (cork), and one for the rest of the house (oriental and other rugs over red oak). Works for us, and after all, we're the only ones who actually have a say in this.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:44 AM

I think that many "rules of decorating" are very flexible myself.

I swear, about the time I think paintings of Elvis on black velvet are tacky, I'll see one in a gameroom somewhere and it will be just perfect - campy maybe but perfect.

Same with armadillos on their backs holding beer bottles.

I mean, I don't want either of them in my house (or light fixtures made of antlers now that I think of it) but I have to admit that even those look fine in some houses. I mean, I wouldn't want the ENTIRE HOUSE most likely but that doesn't mean I can't bend my head around things that look good elsewhere in different settings from my own preference.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:49 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think that many "rules of decorating" are very flexible myself.

I swear, about the time I think paintings of Elvis on black velvet are tacky, I'll see one in a gameroom somewhere and it will be just perfect - campy maybe but perfect.

Same with armadillos on their backs holding beer bottles.

I mean, I don't want either of them in my house (or light fixtures made of antlers now that I think of it) but I have to admit that even those look fine in some houses. I mean, I wouldn't want the ENTIRE HOUSE most likely but that doesn't mean I can't bend my head around things that look good elsewhere in different settings from my own preference.
I don't mind decor. That is portable, and can move with the person. Not permanent. Same with paint colors. Easy to fix in most cases.

More permanent aspects of a home like cabinets, lay out, bathtubs/showers-- things that are costly to fix or part of the canvas on which the decor rests-- that bugs the heck out of me. Things that are hard to change. If a painting bothers me, I can take it down. If a cabinets are hung at a height that irks me, that is a more costly proposition to change. I can't go into that room and look at that every day without thinking "I wish this were different." I can't relax in that space without planning to change it. That is me. I am high maintenance on certain things, I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating