Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:32 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The point is that your opinion is not universal, and you are not objectively correct, no matter how strongly held your opinions are. When you tell other people that they are WRONG, not just that they have a difference of opinion, then yes, it's unpopular.
I asked what I was missing about why people would do this and said I couldn't stand it.

Look, I get it. People are sensitive about what others think of their ideas, taste, the way they live. But this is an online forum. We don't know one another. Its a good place to vent. We don't all have to agree. I can say all day long "I can't stand that" and you can shoot right back. As people do. But we are all allowed to express our opinions no matter how unpopular.

I have never had a home where I walked in and it was all perfect and exactly to my taste. I would venture to guess most people live with elements in their space they dislike and would change given the time/money. Most of us inherit the design (or lack of) from a builder, other home owner, etc. So asking the question "why is this a thing that people think is nice" is honestly a legitimate one as I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 01:57 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Just realized something.

The ceilings are so high in my home that cabinets that reached the ceilings would require a ladder to access.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:57 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I really don't see what the big deal is having two different types of flooring adjacent to each other. Especially when it comes to a kitchen or some other space that doesn't really lend itself to wood flooring. Our family room has tile while the rest of the first floor has wood. I regret having a wood floor in my kitchen! I'd doubly regret pulling up the tile in the family room and having "wood throughout". People coming in from the pool area dripping water....yeah, I'd want to have a wood floor there instead of tile. The flooring you choose should be functional as well as aesthetically pleasing.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I really don't see what the big deal is having two different types of flooring adjacent to each other. Especially when it comes to a kitchen or some other space that doesn't really lend itself to wood flooring. Our family room has tile while the rest of the first floor has wood. I regret having a wood floor in my kitchen! I'd doubly regret pulling up the tile in the family room and having "wood throughout". People coming in from the pool area dripping water....yeah, I'd want to have a wood floor there instead of tile. The flooring you choose should be functional as well as aesthetically pleasing.
Well, its not the point of the thread but it just looks...off. Its disruptive to flow. The borders are arbitrary. I know its popular in a certain era of home. People don't choose something that helps to pull the color or texture from one space into the other so it often looks very abrupt. I have seen more successful attempts at this than that pic but overall its a big no for me.

A properly finished and sealed HWF is water resistant. So is laminate, tile, and all kinds of other materials. There are a myriad of choices.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:14 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I asked what I was missing about why people would do this and said I couldn't stand it.

Look, I get it. People are sensitive about what others think of their ideas, taste, the way they live. But this is an online forum. We don't know one another. Its a good place to vent. We don't all have to agree. I can say all day long "I can't stand that" and you can shoot right back. As people do. But we are all allowed to express our opinions no matter how unpopular.

I have never had a home where I walked in and it was all perfect and exactly to my taste. I would venture to guess most people live with elements in their space they dislike and would change given the time/money. Most of us inherit the design (or lack of) from a builder, other home owner, etc. So asking the question "why is this a thing that people think is nice" is honestly a legitimate one as I see it.
well, if you want to get technical, you said you can't STAND it. And then had another post or two that was also, hmm, shall we say emphatic.

I think it's the tone - yes, even in this format, there was a decided tone.

And it's also the direction the question came from - it might have been different if you had started of saying why you like stacked cabinets/to the ceiling cabinets, that you found them useful and aesthetically appealing and wondered why other people preferred cabinets that didn't go to the ceiling.

You can ask the question in a way so that it doesn't come across as screaming at people with another opinion besides yours that they are wrong, wrong, wrong.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
well, if you want to get technical, you said you can't STAND it. And then had another post or two that was also, hmm, shall we say emphatic.

I think it's the tone - yes, even in this format, there was a decided tone.

And it's also the direction the question came from - it might have been different if you had started of saying why you like stacked cabinets/to the ceiling cabinets, that you found them useful and aesthetically appealing and wondered why other people preferred cabinets that didn't go to the ceiling.

You can ask the question in a way so that it doesn't come across as screaming at people with another opinion besides yours that they are wrong, wrong, wrong.
I could, sure. But what would be the point?

I have seen SO many nicely worded, insightful messages from kind and knowledgeable people get ripped a new one on C-D. Just read any forum. Heck, read reviews of C-D. This is not a place where people play nice.

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.city-data.com

Again, this is a vent. Not directed any any specific person.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
The thing is - whether you intentionally directed it at other people or not, it IS directed at other people - any people with dropped cabinets, in any situation, for any reason, with any height of ceilings, etc. That's why it was irritating to some people, because most people realize that even with "decorating rules," some things are fluid.

Including cherry cabinets, by the way. Which I don't have, and don't even particularly like, but I've seen them in some homes that they fit and are absolutely gorgeous in. Not my cuppa tea but I wouldn't say I CAN'T STAND THEM.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The thing is - whether you intentionally directed it at other people or not, it IS directed at other people - any people with dropped cabinets, in any situation, for any reason, with any height of ceilings, etc. That's why it was irritating to some people, because most people realize that even with "decorating rules," some things are fluid.

Including cherry cabinets, by the way. Which I don't have, and don't even particularly like, but I've seen them in some homes that they fit and are absolutely gorgeous in. Not my cuppa tea but I wouldn't say I CAN'T STAND THEM.
You and I are different.

I have no qualms about saying I can't stand certain things. There are particular elements which ruin a space in my opinion. If you (in the general sense) happen to have that and feel a sting by some stranger you will never meet daring to say that they actively dislike it, I don't know what to say about that.

Not everyone has to be so politically correct all the time. Sometimes its okay to say in an anonymous forum "that is ugly. I wouldn't have it." Certainly I am HARDLY the only one who has done this.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
You and I are different.

I have no qualms about saying I can't stand certain things. There are particular elements which ruin a space in my opinion. If you (in the general sense) happen to have that and feel a sting by some stranger you will never meet daring to say that they actively dislike it, I don't know what to say about that.

Not everyone has to be so politically correct all the time. Sometimes its okay to say in an anonymous forum "that is ugly. I wouldn't have it." Certainly I am HARDLY the only one who has done this.
Go on wid cho bad seff. You're not bothering me because your opinions which differ from mine don't unsettle me in the least. I'm very secure in my own style and my own likes and dislikes and it doesn't bother me when someone else's opinions (and that's all they are) differ from mine.

I am simply debating the approach but I'm done - carry on! You're right - we're different.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:24 PM

277 posts, read 291,617 times
Quote:
I can't STAND it when kitchen cabinets don't go to the ceiling and there is this awkward space on top. That, and having a shower only master are my pet peeves in houses.

IMO, the cabinets are not tall enough for the space and just look like boxes hanging there. Is there any reason for these short cabinets to exist? What am I missing?
It's so you'll have room on top to put the required green plastic ivy that every kitchen must have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating