Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times

Advertisements

The recent discussion on signs has made me ponder the differences in how you decorate rooms you use regularly vs. rooms you rarely go into.

In this case, I was thinking about my home office.

In my former house, the office was in use throughout the day. Not only did I do a lot of work there, but when friends stopped by we would often sit in there to visit. Because of this, we invested in some expensive pieces for that room, including a beautiful hand carved desk.

In our new house, we still have the same furniture. But since we've moved here, the room is rarely used and has a completely different "feel" from what it had in our old house. It looks great in photos but feels sterile, maybe even ghostly if that makes sense (the ghost of old work projects, LOL?). It's hard to describe, but maybe it's a little too "still" right now, which is a funny thing to say since it's not like things used to be moved around. Of all our rooms, this was the one where we made a point of keeping it uncluttered and putting things into cupboards. The big change is there used to be some practical items that were regularly used for my job, as well as things my friends gave me (usually small items, including a few plaques with funny remarks, which is why the "signs" thread got me thinking about this). Also a plant. But even though I suppose those few things added a little life, it's hard to think moving 2-3 small items would make such a big difference.

When we moved, I thought we would use a home office for personal paperwork. But the new house has a sunroom, and we tend to do everything either there or at the kitchen table. The sunroom is also where we visit with friends now, so little mementos and signs they gave us have migrated there. It's funny how little kitschy things just seem to belong in the casual rooms that you actually use. But the bigger art pieces remain in the office. In fact the room is pretty much the same as it was before. Except nobody ever goes in there now.

It feels more like a museum room, if that makes sense. It gets a lot of compliments, but you almost don't want to touch anything.

I'm not sure what to think about this.

On the one hand, I could embrace the idea of having a showpiece room. I could move the most fragile pieces of art into there and make it more of a gallery I suppose. I could enjoy visiting it from time to time if I needed a spot to "get away."

My question for this option: If you've ever created a room like this, did you use it? Were you glad you had it?

Or, maybe I could make a point of reclaiming it as an office area that people use. Maybe create a stack of magazines or paperwork for the desk to make it feel less sterile (although I wonder how artificial looking that might be since it would never change; I'd have to go in to dust the magazines, LOL).

I could bring back the little signs, or the pencil jar, or maybe add something imperfect just to add a little life. But I'm also a person who believes in using the things that I own. So a voice in me says things should stay in the room where they'll be used, which these days seem to be the sunroom or the kitchen table.

My question for this option: If you've ever tried to "reclaim" a room this way, did it work? Or did your efforts to reclaim a room end up feeling artificial?

A third option could be to convert the room for some other purpose. I don't really have another purpose in mind, but I suppose there are things I could do that would incorporate a fancy desk and chairs. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 10:58 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
The "problem" is that your mind has the imprint of the room when it actually had a real purpose as opposed to new. Mind you I am not implying that you are crazy rather that the import of that room was when you had a job and were working. (that may be incorrect but that was what I got out of your post). You probably live a more casual lifestyle and paying a bill or writing a check only takes a few minutes and whey not do it in a bright sunroom.

Now is there a tv in there? or a Radio or music device that might make it more conducive to being in there? If you make your new life reconcile with your past life, then I would say use the desk space for filing the bills etc. and so long as you don't need the space visit when you can.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:17 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
I would repurpose the room into a library/den. Replace the desk with a couple of cozy chairs, put some of the fragile art work in there, and a TV. Turn it into a get away for one or both of you

Old 10-12-2017, 02:57 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
We have 12 rooms and actually use maybe 8 of them? One bedroom, the guest room, is a storage room for all of the stuff we're gonna donate at the end of the year. The "showpiece rooms" are those rooms that are at the front of the house. One is the formal dining room and the other is the den. Both are decked out and I leave the blinds/shutters open all of the time. the den has a 75 gal fish tank, couches, etc. and the dining room has a nice dining set. Both are used but a handful of times and are purely for show (though we do use the dining room more than the den). I kind of like that because the furniture doesn't get the wear and tear and it looks good 24/7. In the heavily used rooms, things end up looking worn and cluttered between two kids and a dog.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I would repurpose the room into a library/den. Replace the desk with a couple of cozy chairs, put some of the fragile art work in there, and a TV. Turn it into a get away for one or both of you
I like this idea. Add a nice stereo system and maybe a mini fridge or Keurig. Make it a nice place to spend time in.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
We have 12 rooms and actually use maybe 8 of them? One bedroom, the guest room, is a storage room for all of the stuff we're gonna donate at the end of the year. The "showpiece rooms" are those rooms that are at the front of the house. One is the formal dining room and the other is the den. Both are decked out and I leave the blinds/shutters open all of the time. the den has a 75 gal fish tank, couches, etc. and the dining room has a nice dining set. Both are used but a handful of times and are purely for show (though we do use the dining room more than the den). I kind of like that because the furniture doesn't get the wear and tear and it looks good 24/7. In the heavily used rooms, things end up looking worn and cluttered between two kids and a dog.
LOL I can really relate! It's ironic that one of our goals in downsizing was to stop having rooms we don't use. This house is half the size of the one we are selling, yet here we are again . Not a big deal, just funny how things happen.

So I guess I'll just enjoy this space as it is until we discover another purpose for it. As soon as that happens, I'm sure it will come back to life on its own. In the meantime I could use it as a quiet spot to do a little yoga, I suppose. I did like the comments about the value of the room that stays pretty when all the others get loved or worn down. Plus, if I make it a pretty room it won't become a storage room, right? We have a perfectly good (and huge) storage room next to the garage, but somehow any unclaimed space ends up becoming the hideaway for boxes-o-junk. Isn't it funny how that happens?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
I would re-purpose it as an exercise room, craft or sewing room, puzzle/game room, obviously the specifics would depend on what your interests and activities are. But it seems silly to have a showcase room IMO, you have the space, you may as well use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating