Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,473 times

Advertisements

We have vinyl vertical blinds on a sliding glass door that leads from the family room to the backyard. The vertical blinds have been the perfect solution from a functional standpoint. The TV is on the opposite wall from the window, so the blinds can be closed to avoid glare, or tilted for some light, or opened completely when desired. Because they slide left to right, we can keep them partially open to allow our dogs access to the doggie door that is in the sliding screen door (an ingenious solution we had custom installed a few years ago). When we are home, which is almost all the time, we keep the patio door and vertical blinds open a couple of feet so our two large dogs can go in and out without our assistance (we live in a mild climate). Of course, we keep them closed at night for security. Well, the cord on the blinds has now broken after 20 years and we would appreciate ideas from you. We are considering 1) having them repaired (about $130 with a service call and parts), 2) replace them with similar blinds, or 3) spend a lot more on Hunter Douglas motorized vertical blinds. We are considering motorized blinds because our frequent use of the cords gets them dirty quickly and probably caused them to break eventually. We have seen the updated-looking vertical sliding panels, but they are only available in fabric (at least that we have seen) and since the dogs are moving past them all the time, we think vinyl is easier to clean. The complication is that we are contemplating selling our home, so we are reluctant to spend a lot (for us) on new vertical blinds, either regular or motorized, since everyone "hates" vertical blinds and we want to appeal to potential buyers. Of course, we could just do what we want (replace with more verticals) and take them down when selling the house, but I'm wondering if any of you are aware of other vertical solutions that are not a turnoff for potential buyers? We have already thought about dual rods with sheers and darkening curtains, but we like the easy-to-clean verticals since the door is open almost all the time and, well, the world is made of dirt! Ideas please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 06:14 PM

50,075 posts, read 63,445,200 times
You know, the problem is deeper. The problem is whomever built your house cared nothing about paying attention to the placement of windows and doors according to the way the house is situated.

Anyway, just leave the verticle blinds because they may be the best solution under the circumstances.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,973,040 times
If the blinds can be repaired so that they look fresh and new, then I think that's what I'd do. They are working for you. If they are faded, then you need to replace them.

If you can afford the motorized verticals, and that's the best solution, then do that if it is what you want to do.

If you think you will be selling in the next six months, find an experienced realtor to advise you about spending quite a bit of money and then leaving that expense behind for a new owner who probably won't like them.

I think deciding what you intend to do in the next 6 months to a year is crucual. That is the decision you need to make first.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:31 PM

42,753 posts, read 25,971,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom_Planner View Post
We have vinyl vertical blinds on a sliding glass door that leads from the family room to the backyard. The vertical blinds have been the perfect solution from a functional standpoint. The TV is on the opposite wall from the window, so the blinds can be closed to avoid glare, or tilted for some light, or opened completely when desired. Because they slide left to right, we can keep them partially open to allow our dogs access to the doggie door that is in the sliding screen door (an ingenious solution we had custom installed a few years ago). When we are home, which is almost all the time, we keep the patio door and vertical blinds open a couple of feet so our two large dogs can go in and out without our assistance (we live in a mild climate). Of course, we keep them closed at night for security. Well, the cord on the blinds has now broken after 20 years and we would appreciate ideas from you. We are considering 1) having them repaired (about $130 with a service call and parts), 2) replace them with similar blinds, or 3) spend a lot more on Hunter Douglas motorized vertical blinds. We are considering motorized blinds because our frequent use of the cords gets them dirty quickly and probably caused them to break eventually. We have seen the updated-looking vertical sliding panels, but they are only available in fabric (at least that we have seen) and since the dogs are moving past them all the time, we think vinyl is easier to clean. The complication is that we are contemplating selling our home, so we are reluctant to spend a lot (for us) on new vertical blinds, either regular or motorized, since everyone "hates" vertical blinds and we want to appeal to potential buyers. Of course, we could just do what we want (replace with more verticals) and take them down when selling the house, but I'm wondering if any of you are aware of other vertical solutions that are not a turnoff for potential buyers? We have already thought about dual rods with sheers and darkening curtains, but we like the easy-to-clean verticals since the door is open almost all the time and, well, the world is made of dirt! Ideas please?
When we were selling our house we had vinyl sliders on the patio door and they were pretty dingy looking so I replaced them panel track blinds with a translucent solar material. They were relatively cheap around $100 and looked great. They come in different patterns and material Panel Track Blinds - Blinds - The Home Depot

Old 10-22-2017, 09:20 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,154,103 times
My Home depot has vertical blinds also. I have them because they are functional. Those panels look nice, but with dogs going in and out near them they will probably collect hair and dirt. I think the panels are made with a fabric like material. I replaced my vertical blinds on my sliding door. The hardware had the two drawstrings. One to open and one to adjust the angle opening between verticals(not sure what it's called) I decided I wanted the rod kind that you turn to swivel the blinds or just simply slide open or close blinds using that same rod. I find it much easier with the rod style instead of the two sets of strings to operate. I replaced the whole unit to get the rod adjustable kind, they are much less expensive than they used to be and have better selection on the vinyl vertical Slats.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...-300147149-_-N

Also, FYI, Home Depot can cut curtains rod in store while you wait if it needs, also cut the length of the Slats if needed, the whole set up is around $100 unless you opt for more costly Slats. I wouldnt invest in expensive motorized, you usually don't take window treatments or window hardware with you when you sell your home.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 10-22-2017 at 09:39 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Thank you for all the input! I truly appreciate your perspectives.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:40 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,681,592 times
If they not falling apart and still functional, then just leave them

Old 10-22-2017, 10:00 PM

42,753 posts, read 25,971,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My Home depot has vertical blinds also. I have them because they are functional. Those panels look nice, but with dogs going in and out near them they will probably collect hair and dirt. I think the panels are made with a fabric like material. I replaced my vertical blinds on my sliding door. The hardware had the two drawstrings. One to open and one to adjust the angle opening between verticals(not sure what it's called) I decided I wanted the rod kind that you turn to swivel the blinds or just simply slide open or close blinds using that same rod. I find it much easier with the rod style instead of the two sets of strings to operate. I replaced the whole unit to get the rod adjustable kind, they are much less expensive than they used to be and have better selection on the vinyl vertical Slats.

Hampton Bay Cut-to-Width 78 in. W Vertical Blind Head Rail for 3.5 in. Louvers-10793478808564 - The Home Depot

Also, FYI, Home Depot can cut curtains rod in store while you wait if it needs, also cut the length of the Slats if needed, the whole set up is around $100 unless you opt for more costly Slats. I wouldnt invest in expensive motorized, you usually don't take window treatments or window hardware with you when you sell your home.
The panel blinds that we had were a solar shade fabric, some sort of acrylic weave, we have two dogs and if they got dirty I could take an individual panel off, take it outside and hose it off and let it dry. I am not sure if any of them are actual fabric, all of the ones I looked at could all be easily washed off, but that's certainly a consideration

Old 10-23-2017, 06:10 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,475,599 times
My personal preference for sliders now is drapes on a rod, with brackets installed to tuck them back during the day. I find them easy to use, easy to wash when they get dirty, and they soften up the look of the sliders a bit.

You just have to make sure they are loose on the rod so you can pull them back easily.

I just use one layer of drapes, no sheers or anything. If you're worried about dirt, maybe a get a dark color or a pattern of some sort so it doesn't show the dirt that easily. Might be an easy solution for when you are selling!

Old 10-23-2017, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the additional thoughts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating