Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times

Advertisements

Big windows can be nice for the views, but they also tend to kill a lot of birds--especially with the vegetation positioned that way it is. I wouldn't want them for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 04:05 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Rather than painting it over, you could remove it and replace it with plastic molding form home depot. then when you want it to look authentic for its time you can take the wood molding out of the attic and put it back in place. Or if you paint it, put a coat of varnish on the wood first. This makes it much easier to strip the paint later.

that is not the most beautiful wood molding ever (kinda looks like a DIY project), but it will not be more beautiful painted. If you want to change the era of the room, replace the molding and doors. Painting it will just make it look wrong.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:09 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
OP, I am assuming that that rustic beast of a stone fireplace is in that room as well (that I see in the listing), correct? If so you will also want to take that into serious consideration when choosing what to do with the trim, paint and flooring in that room so it balances out with that huge fireplace.

Posting that photo here also will most likely give you some different opinions and suggestions than what you have already received. Seeing the fireplace now, I would definitely not paint over the trim. I would stain it instead, if anything.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:41 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
There is nothing remotely "classic" about diagonal wood. I'm certain you will not find diagonally paneled rooms in historic houses. Perhaps you meant "vertical"?

Diagonal wood was trendy in the 1970s.

The OP could panel the walls and keep the wood trim which would make the wood trim look more intentional, but it's better to do all the walls if you're going to do it. Unless there is an architectural feature that calls for different treatment, it's best to keep the walls consistent.

They haven't expressed any desire to have a paneled room, so it's probably a moot point.

Ii did not say 'paneled", I said 'diagonal' strips of wood, stained to match the trim, at least 8" wide. Maybe you are thinking of the old tongue and groove knotty pine. And yes, you will find diagonally paneled rooms in historic homes.

"Panel the walls": not. That will close in the space, quite passe, and will darken the room and take away from the front wall which has a pretty door -- and it went out of style a very long time ago; like the paneled 'rumpus' room. Actually I would have some subtle stained glass design in those doors, or the 'crystal' design on clear glass to 'make the room'.

I would make that front wall the focal point of the room with a nice mosaic design (not those broken chips of colored glass which is uglier than sin). I'm talking about a true quality artwork design.

Over the years I have listed and sold so many homes of every style, that it's impossible to figure. Maybe 3,000 or so (some true makeovers, some slap/dash cheaply built tract houses, and some very high end); and have worked with builders, investors, designers and decorators. Too much wood is always out of style and in poor taste.

I actually wonder what the price of that home is, OP says it is a great location. The OP says it will cost a 'boatload' of money to fix it up -- that will depend on what the OP's ideas are and how the specs fit in with his budget. If he is looking at a home over his budget after a reasonable makeover ... then he is looking beyond his financial means.

I like Joanna Gaines. What I don't like about her style though is that she does practically every interior the same.

Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Count me in the group of staining them instead of painting them.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I'd have to see the whole house and the plan for the whole house before saying whether or not to paint this trim. Or where that would fall on my priority/expense/time list.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:52 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Maybe you can put this picture in one of those paint visualizers that almost every paint company has on their website and then change out the colors on both the walls and the trim to see how it will look in different ways. That's what I would do.

And Corn-fused - how do you find all these obscure things? First that bathroom in the other thread (I mentioned it to you on there, I think you'll know what I'm talking about) and now I see you've found the listing to this house! I'm totally impressed with your detective work!

Old 11-02-2017, 07:05 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Maybe you can put this picture in one of those paint visualizers that almost every paint company has on their website and then change out the colors on both the walls and the trim to see how it will look in different ways. That's what I would do.

And Corn-fused - how do you find all these obscure things? First that bathroom in the other thread (I mentioned it to you on there, I think you'll know what I'm talking about) and now I see you've found the listing to this house! I'm totally impressed with your detective work!
It isn't hard to find this listing. Click on the picture and then google the image.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:36 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
[quote=fluffythewondercat;49999595]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well, someone finally asked the right question!

No, it's not the only room with wood trim.

Even the closet doors have it. In some places they even used it as chair railing.

I think the person who said "don't paint it, remove it" might have the right idea. It looks like pine, so it probably is pine. I think I can see some knots in some of the photos.

I know everyone has a different decorating style but we aren't the Old West/rustic kind of people.

Agree 100%. I think that's where one starts: with a unifying theme. It was hard to do with our rental house, which just sold. It was your basic 1980 stucco tract house, so I just tried to make the interior finishes as luxurious -- and at the same time, practical -- as possible.
Wood trim and railings are not unusual at all, especially since that home is a 70s house. in fact, it's very common in my neighborhood of 80s-90s homes. the only negative about it is that it's golden oak. I'd stain them too.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:33 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Pine is soft wood. Cheap. Scratches and dents. Even our founding fathers knew to paint it.

If you want natural wood.. you can replace. However, you'll need a harder wood. My Santa Fe territorial house in West Texas was trimmed in all natural cherry.. which stood up to all our cats sitting in the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating