Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 06:37 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmonet320 View Post
I am in the middle of building a new construction home and have a kitchen design dilemma. We want white painted cabinets in our kitchen. However to do so, our builder requires you to upgrade to level 1 cabinetry which give you two options: Select MDF white cabinets for $7,250 or Select Wooden Shaker Cabinets for $7,250 and add paint option for an additional $1700 ($8,950 total). On top of that, upgrading to soft close/dove tail is another $1700! Obviously this is extremely expensive so my husband and I are looking for cost saving options.

The cabinets that come standard at no additional cost are solid maple 42" cabinets with crown molding. However, the builder doesn't offer a paint option on these cabinets and instead only offers wood stain. We are considering sticking with these standard cabinets in a light stain and hiring a contractor to come in and paint them white after closing. Is this a good idea? Is there a risk in devaluing our home by going with painted standards vs upgrading and paying the $9k with the builder?

FYI, we do plan on doing other kitchen modifications post closing (adding back splash, adding cabinet panel trim and molding, adding hardware, updating light fixtures).

Appreciate your feedback!
Pay the money, and get what you want. It won't make jack difference in your mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 08:15 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Pay the money, and get what you want. It won't make jack difference in your mortgage.
Well, if you roll it into the mortgage, you will end up paying 2.5-3X the cost by the time the mortgage is retired.

My belief is that you should roll into a mortgage the bare minimum and pay for everything you can, with cash, so you only pay once.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:24 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, if you roll it into the mortgage, you will end up paying 2.5-3X the cost by the time the mortgage is retired.
That's only if they stay with the mortgage for 30 years (or whatever the term is) and never move or pay it off early.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:30 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
OP, what price point is your home? The answer to your question might differ if it's a $200,000 home vs. a $500,000 home.

In general, though, it is wise to invest in the kitchen. Kitchens and bathrooms recoup the most for your money. Perhaps you can eliminate some other choices in your home build that will be easier to change out later.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
New neighbors ( millennials ) bought a ranch home , custom build in 2001 , and tore out the maple cabinets including a built in hutch , tore down walls and opened up the kitchen to the living room ( you can see the ref. from the street , they have no window coverings ) and put in white cabinets. Also took out the Corian and put granite. Everything is opened up and I guess they are happy. Very little furniture .

When my wife and I were looking, we would have "lived with it" for a few years before tearing out everything. I think too much HGTV. I dislike white cabinets as they show fingerprints, grime. Plus they chip paint. Also NEVER wood floor in the kitchen . We still have hickory custom cabinets and Corian. BUT, what do we know ?? LOL

Last edited by Rogarven; 12-02-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
That's only if they stay with the mortgage for 30 years (or whatever the term is) and never move or pay it off early.
Well, most people roll equity and debt from one mortgage into the next, up till the point where they pay off their last house that they have a mortgage on. So you will still be paying for some of the principal of your first mortgage until you pay off your last one.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:49 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
New neighbors ( millennials ) bought a ranch home , custom build in 2001 , and tore out the maple cabinets including a built in hutch , tore down walls and opened up the kitchen to the living room ( you can see the ref. from the street , they have no window coverings ) and put in white cabinets. Also took out the Corian and put granite. Everything is opened up and I guess they are happy. Very little furniture .

When my wife and I were looking, we would have "lived with it" for a few years before tearing out everything. I think too much HGTV. I dislike white cabinets as they show fingerprints, grime. Plus they chip paint. Also NEVER wood floor in the kitchen . We still have hickory custom cabinets and Corian. BUT, what do we know ?? LOL
I understand the concern some people have with wood floor in the kitchen, but honestly that's what I prefer and I'm always willing to take the 'risk'. Probably like the neighbors in your OP, I've always preferred simple, open floor plans. And, along with that, I prefer continuous homogeneous floor materials for the main areas. Took out carpet/vinyl/pine hardwood in my last house in SC and put in birch throughout and never had an issue in the kitchen for 7 years. Rented a small house here in Dallas before my apartment and it had hardwoods throughout that had been in the house for decades (including the kitchen) according to the owner.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:59 AM

Wood floor in kitchen? It's up to you. But just remember that when (not "if") you have a water leak in the kitchen, you will be faced with significant repairs ranging from refinishing to replacement.

Not sure what "pine hardwood" means, as pine is neither a hardwood nor a hard wood.

Old 12-04-2017, 07:27 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Wood floor in kitchen? It's up to you. But just remember that when (not "if") you have a water leak in the kitchen, you will be faced with significant repairs ranging from refinishing to replacement.

Not sure what "pine hardwood" means, as pine is neither a hardwood nor a hard wood.
After having a couple of leaks with the dishwasher and a GE Profile fridge ( wasn't cheap!), I am thankful we didn't have wood. If you haven't had leaks, then you are very fortunate. You can't always be there to clean up when water gets on the floor. I think wood floors are great, I grew up with them , oak plank and parquet , but you got to be diligent about them.

Daughter had wood floor in the powder room of her condo. Water got in there from a leaky seal on the commode and finally , everything is back in order. What a mess! There is tile in there now!

Old 12-04-2017, 08:07 AM

In a lot of cases, traditional materials and construction will turn out to be the best for function, because 50 or 100 or 150 years ago, people (of modest means) were less concerned with fashion and more concerned with durabilty and maintainability. Hence:

Bathrooms - tile or linoleum
Kitchens - linoleum
Rest of house - wood floors or linoleum. For softness and warmth underfoot, lay down rugs, either small area ones, or big ones. When rug gets dirty, take it outside and beat it.
Locate bathrooms and kitchens as close together as possible to make best use of plumbing.

In climates with tons of rain and or snow: Steeply pitched roofs
In cold climates: small houses with bedrooms upstairs to make the best use of available heat; heating equipment in the basement. Low ceilings, because hot air rises. Small windows to keep the heat in.
In hot/sunny climates: floor to ceiling windows, large roof overhangs, awnings on windows with South or West exposure, high ceilings (hot air rises). One story construction.
Overall: the tendency toward a smaller number of rooms, each room of generous size (except bathrooms), each room with walls and doors that can shut, so that one person doing something noisy doesn't disturb everyone in the house, or so that one person wanting to take a nap doesn't require everyone in the house to maintain total silence. (100 years ago, parents didn't feel the need to have visual contact with their children 8766 hours/year.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating