Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:05 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,705,368 times

Advertisements

The carpet upstairs is ten years old and I've debated forever on what to replace it with.

Carpet is obviously the best choice because it muffles sound and on the stairs it cushions any bumps and falls. I wanted to put down tile but am told the joists won't handle the weight. Laminate? Engineered wood? Something that cushions for falls yet has great resale value and holds up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 12:07 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,779,386 times
You could do wood with lots of rugs and a runner going down the stairs, but for sheer comfort, I like carpet in the bedroom area.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:15 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,945,772 times
Cork flooring may be a good option for your bedrooms. There are many advantages to cork flooring. I am considering it for my next house. Maybe someone with personal experience with cork flooring can chime in. Haha! I just realized what I said... of course, people will chime in. Anyway, here's a link with the advantages and also disadvantages.

https://www.thespruce.com/cork-floor...d-cons-1314688

Old 12-04-2017, 07:24 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,413,963 times
Linoleum!

Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,779,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Linoleum!

My soul just died a little.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:20 PM

993 posts, read 770,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Cork flooring may be a good option for your bedrooms. There are many advantages to cork flooring. I am considering it for my next house. Maybe someone with personal experience with cork flooring can chime in. Haha! I just realized what I said... of course, people will chime in. Anyway, here's a link with the advantages and also disadvantages.

https://www.thespruce.com/cork-floor...d-cons-1314688
I had a cork floor in the kitchen of my old house. Had it for 20 yrs. it held up wonderfully and muffled sound somewhat. It’s a tremendous flooring product. But I don’t think it would look right in a bedroom. But then again, what do I know?

Old 12-04-2017, 09:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,296,160 times
Carpet would be my choice. Have you looked at what is available in carpet lately? You might go to a carpet store and have a look around. Of course if you carpet, you will probably feel the need to paint your walls too. Change one thing, and then you have to change another.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:48 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,705,368 times
The walls need painting, too.

Thanks for the input. I'm still undecided. The downstairs is all tile. We live in a high humidity area and with pets the tile is the best choice. Wish I could continue it upstairs.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:59 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,413,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
My soul just died a little.
Nothing wrong with linoleum.

You know, the more people push all this fancy stuff (some of which is worse in a practical sense than the older cheaper alternatives, some of which is fine practically but just oh so trendy) the more I want to paint my house light green inside and put down linoleum and honey colored oak flooring and Formica on the countertops and have single thickness double hung sash windows with the cast iron weights, and walls between every room with ACTUAL DOORS that shut, and lock, and everything, and a detached garage in the back, next to the vegetable garden and the fruit trees. Hell, I might even re-install the window A/C units and the gas floor furnaces (that worked even if there was a power outage). Now where's my dial phone made by Western Electric? And you kids, off my lawn!

Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,945,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Nothing wrong with linoleum.

You know, the more people push all this fancy stuff (some of which is worse in a practical sense than the older cheaper alternatives, some of which is fine practically but just oh so trendy) the more I want to paint my house light green inside and put down linoleum and honey colored oak flooring and Formica on the countertops and have single thickness double hung sash windows with the cast iron weights, and walls between every room with ACTUAL DOORS that shut, and lock, and everything, and a detached garage in the back, next to the vegetable garden and the fruit trees. Hell, I might even re-install the window A/C units and the gas floor furnaces (that worked even if there was a power outage). Now where's my dial phone made by Western Electric? And you kids, off my lawn!
I don't see anything wrong with most of what you mentioned, but I have to draw the line at window A/C units. I do love walls between rooms with doors (hate open floor plans) and I especially love a kitchen that can be closed off by doors to keep the smells IN the kitchen that has Formica countertops.

Thanks for your post. I appreciated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating