Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:03 PM

564 posts, read 1,721,822 times

Advertisements

Hi, we just bought a pre-war home and need to update our 1990s galley kitchen. I decided not to play with the walls, so it will be strictly an update. We are moving into the house just before the New Year, and I am working with a local kitchen shop that was recommended by a friend.

What I am looking to achieve: a kitchen with a simple, yet sophisticated look, that goes well with the style of the home. I don't have a budget, but don't want to go crazy on it either... This is a home in an affluent neighborhood, so I need to be mindful of that.

White (or off white cabinets) - Merillat is the brand this small shop has offered, quartz counter-tops (some light gray would be nice, I think?), tile backslash (maybe white, a bit of shine or shimmer to it?), 36" range... I want some of the cabinets to have a bit of glass w/ the crossed design on top of the glass, to match the breakfast nook windows. Have no idea what to do for the hood. Cabinet hardware should match the stove I think? Chrome, or brushed nickel? What style? Not sure... Flooring? square tile or 12 x 24 rectangular tile?

Any suggestions you can offer, I would be very grateful. What style Merillat cabinets to choose? What color exactly? Cotton? Chiffon? Any suggestions on what to do, what not to do, I would really appreciate it.

Updating our kitchen in our 1940 home-kitchen-1.jpg

Updating our kitchen in our 1940 home-kitchen-2.jpg

Updating our kitchen in our 1940 home-kitchen-3.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 03:34 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Well, I fail to see why you need to do anything at all. The only stylistic things I would suggest are to change out the brass knobs for chrome or another silver color, and replace the phone that sticks out into the room with one that lies flat on the wall.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:44 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,672 times
Is that phone you see really the handle on the microwave? NEVER mind..I see the phone in the breakfast nook
I agree-you have a nice kitchen and depending on the quality comparison of cabinets you may be downgrading.
It would not be authentic but the best thing I did was put in pot drawers instead of lower cabinets. Love the functionality.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:04 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
I mean, if you really want the kitchen to be in keeping with the original style of a 1940 house, you would need:

Linoleum floors
Tile countertops, white with purple, yellow, or green, or similar color tile edging
A big white Wedgwood gas stove
White-painted stick built cabinets, or possibly that 1930s/40s interior green
White porcelain over cast iron sink
Curvy refrigerator
Walls could be wainscoting, or the pressed Masonite simulated tiles.
Wall paper.

Given that you probably don't really want a kitchen that matches the house, I would just repair anything that needs it, touch up here and there, replace the brass knobs with chrome ones, and declare victory. Use the money for something useful.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:22 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
There doesn't seem to be much to do in terms of changing layout - it looks like you have decent counter space. If the cabinets are in good shape, you can consider painting them and removing or replacing the crown molding. The floor tiles are what appear the most dated. I might say 12x18 rather than 12x24 just given the space. If you do go with lighter cabinets, you'll want the floor, walls, or accessories to add some color.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:26 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
The cabinets are great as is. The black appliances are out of date in my opinion and were never in use in the era of the house. It would be spectacular if you could do a built in curved bench under the curved window, then add a free standing round kitchen table and a couple of chairs.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Lol the only thing I would change is the floor. Maybe the appliances...

The options you're describing won't be 1940s style anyway, but just an update for the sake of change.

Old 12-09-2017, 08:38 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Do nothing.
Move in.
Spend at least a year planning.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Actually, I think Dave Barnes has a point. If you live there for awhile, you will have a better idea about what you want to spend your money on.

I think you need to think about function before style. I do get why you want to upgrade your cabs, although they are in decent condition now.

The things I would think about are, finding a better place for the micro, choosing a range hood, upgrading the gas cooktop to a 36", putting glass doors on cabs nearest the dishwasher for efficient and attractive dish storage and getting a knife drawer and possibly a spice drawer.

I also agree that the tile is dated, and could be replaced.

I don't think I would choose quartz for a kitchen counter, but I also know that plenty of people do. Quartz might not be as durable as you would like, especially if you set hot pots down on it.

I really think your breakfast nook is lovely, and I hope you enjoy your new home. I think whatever, or whenever, you make changes, you will feel as if the house has become your home. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:56 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Your kitchen does look pretty nice as-is, but we can't tell what the quality of those cabinets is. And is that granite already on the counter? I agree with the others who say move in first, live in it awhile (it is certainly livable the way it is), then decide what you want to do. Your kitchen plans don't sound compatible with a 1940's home -- especially the tile and shimmer....sounds too contemporary. I would try to match that look in the breakfast nook (which is GORGEOUS), and you're on the right path with the cabinets. What about hardwood floors? Is that hardwood in the living room? I think that would like nicer/more elegant than tile, and more in keeping with the look of the nook, which looks very traditional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating