Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 12:16 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,217,604 times

Advertisements

Would maid service be included in the sale of the house?

Might be a great selling point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 12:41 AM

389 posts, read 596,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Would maid service be included in the sale of the house?

Might be a great selling point.
Too funny! But that is a great point about raised panel cabinets.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:43 AM

389 posts, read 596,349 times
I was also previously considering the shaker cabinets with the vertical beadboard design in the recessed area. But my contractor said that is too "beach house" for my place. Of course I love coastal design, but it's not for everyone.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:00 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
I think in a few years Shaker cabinets are going to be screaming “20 - Teens.” I’d go with a raised panel, but maybe not as elaborate as the one you posted.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:25 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I think in a few years Shaker cabinets are going to be screaming “20 - Teens.” I’d go with a raised panel, but maybe not as elaborate as the one you posted.
Well, you can think that if you want to. However, the Shaker style dates back to the 18th century so I think it is safe to say this style will be around forever; or at least a super long time. Shaker style cabinets are uniquely simple yet attractive. Many people like Shaker cabinets and will continue to use them.

Last edited by geebabe; 12-23-2017 at 07:50 AM..

Old 12-24-2017, 08:14 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Me too, on all your points, PAhippo. I especially love your last sentence. That's how I feel. And I like shaker in white.
Ditto - when I bought my house this past summer I was looking at lots of cabinets. While I liked the look of the ones like you posted (OP) I kept seeing a lot of dusting in grooves & cleaning with those. Since I don't have a cleaning lady I am going to go with white shaker. Gray is pretty but I'd be afraid it would look too "dated" in the future and we all know what HGTV thinks about anything "dated".

Old 12-29-2017, 03:57 PM

993 posts, read 766,741 times
Ok. So going back a few years. 1989 I renovated a kitchen with custom natural cherry raised panel cabinets. They were gorgeous but not easy to clean.

In 1998, a new house. I got shaker style natural cherry custom cabinets. The woman who bought my house....she is an interior designer and had a show for a few years on HGTV...loved the shaker design and said it never goes out of style. She painted the natural cherry gray....oh, my heart. But actually it doesn’t look bad.

Both sets of cabinets were full overlay. I never had a problem with construction. They were plenty sturdy.

So, for whatever that's worth.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
I am another vote for raised panels. I am also " against the grain" as far as liking natural wood finishes. Ours are raised panel with a natural light hickory that were custom order. Painted ones ( however popular now) will look chipped and dirty soon enough. JMHO.

P.S. To the OP, my uncle ( a native Houstonian) was flooded in the Tanglewood area of Houston and I know what an ordeal that he has gone through. I wish you the best in rebuilding your life as well. :-)

Old 01-01-2018, 10:34 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
I realize that the OP asked for advice as to which style cabinet to get, but I just don't understand why people get so hung-up on what OTHER people like. Who cares what's "trendy"? Pick whichever style YOU like.

For me, I would get the raised-panel cabinets, and I would probably get the glazed finish.

Old 01-01-2018, 01:53 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
OP:

I'm sorry about your house flooding.

As for cabinets I like the traditional raised panel but I am not a huge fan of glazing especially when it is a contrasting color to the cabinet wood color. The shaker kitchen cabinets are a little too bland for me. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating