Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:47 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,524,919 times

Advertisements

No lights but tree came down the day after XMAS. As early in the season as folks decorate these days, I cannot wait to see it all come down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 12:56 PM

658 posts, read 721,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Now that Christmas Day is past, I was wondering, when do you plan to take your Christmas lights down?

We plan to take ours down on January 6. We will take down our backyard Star Showers and the LED lights wrapping the tree in our front yard. Our icicle lights on our back fence will remain up, but we won't turn them on except for parties. The red and green bulbs in our front light fixtures will be changed to red and pink for Valentine's Day.
In my family the tradition has always been Jan 6th because we wait until the Epiphany and then the Christmas holiday is actually over for us.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM

333 posts, read 286,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I don't do all this decorating for two or three weeks, I'll tell you that much. I'm going to celebrate for at least five weeks, maybe even six or so!
I'm with you on this, and have an excuse that I am happy to share. My father was Russian, and Russian Christmas (as they use the Julian calendar) is January 6. So Epiphany is on January 19, and after that the tree and other decorations will come down.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:08 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
When do you plan to take down your Christmas lights?

What, they're suppose to come down? Hmm.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:33 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
In my family the tradition has always been Jan 6th because we wait until the Epiphany and then the Christmas holiday is actually over for us.
I just chose that day for this holiday season because it is convenient for us, since it is the first weekend after New Years. I never thought about that until the posts in this thread.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:39 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,633,947 times
Our neighborhood is all townhomes and condos. The City picks up trees from the curb separately from regular trash, because they are turned in to mulch. A few trees appear as early as December 26th, but most of them are brought out between one to two weeks after Christmas. I'm always amazed that some people don't get around to tossing their extremely dried up trees until February, and I've actually seen a couple of instances where someone waited until March. The trail of pine needles from their home to the curb must have been insane.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:53 PM

20 posts, read 21,470 times
January 6th. I am not religious and neither was my family but this is a tradition we followed.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:56 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We keep our lights up outside till January 6. Inside, I generally take down the Christmas tree stuff and Santa stuff but leave out the religious themed stuff like Nativity sets, or wintery things that aren't specifically Christmassy. I nearly always take the trees and Santa stuff down some time between Christmas and New Years. So it's like two waves, which I find to be more manageable anyway - LOL.
This.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:56 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Now that Christmas Day is past, I was wondering, when do you plan to take your Christmas lights down?

We plan to take ours down on January 6. We will take down our backyard Star Showers and the LED lights wrapping the tree in our front yard. Our icicle lights on our back fence will remain up, but we won't turn them on except for parties. The red and green bulbs in our front light fixtures will be changed to red and pink for Valentine's Day.
Outside decorations came down today. Tree and inside stuff will be put away by Monday. I love it when it’s put up and it’s so pretty, but now that Christmas is over it’s time to move on.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Folks, the twelve days of Christmas are from Christmas Day till Epiphany - January 6. So technically, it's still the Christmas season. I mean, if you celebrate Christmas vs Yule, Kwanzaa, fill in the blank. Just a friendly reminder. The Christmas season doesn't end on December 25 after that last slice of pecan pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating