Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 08:51 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I totally agree with all of this. My electric fireplace requires a three-foot safety zone around it for soft furnishings such as upholstery, draperies, etc. It puts out a lot of heat so temperature control for the aquarium could be problematic. I only turn the heating function on for short periods when I want to warm up the family room without heating up the whole house. Mine (can't remember the name - got it at Lowe's ten years ago) does allow just the flame function without heat so the ambience is there. But there is still the location factor without crowding the room. From the photos I can't see where it could go and not be too much.
Good info..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 09:11 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Hey guys, thanks for the continued comments. I don't think I would use the fireplace for its heating function. It would be mainly for decorative purposes. The parlor is a front facing room, visible from the street. it's a quiet cul-de-sac so the blinds are always open. I just wanted to have a warm, cozy, kincaid-like view. The house, although not historic, is traditional so I'm building on that, but I can see what y'all are saying. It isn't the largest room in the world and fireplaces are focal pieces. The aquarium is also a focal piece, so i can't have both in such a small space. (It takes others' eyes to see these things )

cp102 - thank you! I love parlors. I don't use that room often, but it is just nice to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating