Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:14 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We had a sleep number for 10 days and it went back. Like sleeping a smothering hot dog roll on 99 for us. I sleep hot and hubby cold, so foam was out for us. Too hot for me. We got an ultra firm Stearns and Foster non pillow top mattress and are thrilled.

I didn't like the sleep number either. My DH and I hated our Stearns and Foster. Glad you are having better luck

I never get hot with our memory foam but I know that can be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 11:33 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
Honestly, no hype here, we purchased a king sized bed off amazon a year ago for less than $400 brand new. Matched it with a new steel box frame underneath, and totally honest here - BEST bed either my wife or I have slept on in our lives thus far. Had a 10 year old Simmons that would kill the lower back and hips, which started maybe 2 years after paying $1,800 for it. We were ready to stroke the big check for a sleep number setup ($8,500), but I said I wanted to try this first to see if we could save that money for something else. Figured what’s an extra $500 when we’re talking about nearly $10,000 to achieve a restful sleep. If we didn’t like it, we’d just chalk it up and go for the sleep number.

Soooo glad we tried this one first. Has been superb for us, have since bought 5 more for the kids and guest rooms (not King’s though). They love it too, and guests who stay with us love them as well. My in laws bought several last summer while setting up their new beach house. They have a sleep number bed in their main home that they’ve loved for the past 10 years, but also love these too when they’re at the beach.

They’re pretty substail mattresses. Tall, and heavy as snot! Here’s what I bought.

Signature Sleep Signature 13 Inch Independently Encased Coil Pillow Top Mattress with CertiPUR-US certified foam and Soft Bamboo Cover, King https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TPJI98W..._kIBJAbHN535PR

Box spring:

Zinus 9 Inch High Profile Smart Box Spring / Mattress Foundation / Strong Steel structure / Easy assembly required, King https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NPVCQYO..._xTBJAbXBW292W

Old 02-21-2018, 01:48 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Thanks for the post - the pic. shows the mattress on a platform bed (which is what I have) - thoughts on how it might perform w/o a box spring? I don't really have the $$ to spend on a mattress but the one I have (and spent way too much on - I'm sure is partially responsible for my sleep issues. A mattress should have indentations from a 105 lb. person sleeping on it (IMO) - I've tried switching sides to sleep on, rotating...... no help. I really can't afford to buy a mattress but will if I KNOW I'll sleep well.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:29 PM

I think it would do very well on a platform structure, which is basically what we have with the steel box spring in the second link. There’s no springs in it, just a metal box with metal slats across the top.

I’m a tick over 200lbs myself, and have no indention on my side of the bed after a year of use. I know the indemtion issue you’re speaking about. Our old bed did that rather quickly, and was the root cause of the back pain. On the old bed, I couldn’t sleep on my stomach after just a few months without my back hurting like heck within 30 minutes. On this new amazon bed, I love sleeping face down now (stops the snoring according to my wife/victim). No indention whatsoever, very supportive, yet perfectly soft at the exact same time. I am totally convinced that if you put a “Sealy” name on this mattress, it would be a $4,000+ mattress.

Those couple thousand reviews on there, are 100% accurate. You can believe them. It’s like finding one of those rare “deals” that you just can’t believe actually exists. But, I can assure you that it does, 11 times over.

Be warned though, they are heavy. They come in a box that would suggest a large area rug. But don’t be discouraged. Just unpack it and give it like an hour and enjoy. They must have some kind of huge roller machine at the factory that compressed the springs while it’s being rolled up into a tube for shipping.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:04 PM

PS: we have the coil mattresses, not the foam (which is new I think because wasn’t offered when we bought).

Old 02-21-2018, 05:44 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Thanks for the response.... I am going to do lots of research before spending again (spent too much last time, didn't know you should bargain w/those places) - what a pain. I want a regular flippable mattress (I still have the OLD one from when I first moved in the spare room - I know it's time - but it's more comfy to me than the big bucks one).

Old 02-23-2018, 03:00 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
When we moved in here 4 years ago, we bought a new mattress. I can't remember the brand but I do recall it was on the expensive side. The mattresses these days don't last as long as the old ones do and you can't flip them. I noticed after 4 years, our mattress seems less than ideal. So, we went to Kmart and purchased a 2 inch memory foam pad. WOW! What a difference. We also bought one for our futon that we use for guests.

My advice, buy a cheapo mattress and get a memory foam pad.

Cat

Old 07-05-2018, 07:40 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,007,617 times
Our new home was delayed and we are just now mattress shopping. My husband loves the Temperpedic Cool Breeze Firm. I feel comfortable upon first lying down on it but after lying awhile I feel like I need to climb out of a hole. I move a lot during my sleep from side to side. This makes it hard. We tried some hybrids out as well. They seemed a bit soft. We tried one by King Mountain I think its called that seemed pretty comfortable. However it gets some poor reviews online. My issue with the Temperpedic is for the price which scares me, I would have to LOVE it and I just don't. So the verdict is still out.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:15 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Hmm. We're on our third sleep number. We bought one of our old master bedroom and it went to my son when we put in the new master suite. Then the queen size sleep number mattress we had in the new one for a few years went into our RV to replace the crappy lightweight mattress that came in it, and we got a new foam top sleep number for the master bedroom. I LOVE them. Best sleep I ever got, and so nice to be able to change the firmness on the fly if necessary and have different firmness for myself and my wife. And they don't break down as they age, as you can restore the firmness just by adding more air.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:17 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Hmm. We're on our third sleep number. We bought one of our old master bedroom and it went to my son when we put in the new master suite. Then the queen size sleep number mattress we had in the new one for a few years went into our RV to replace the crappy lightweight mattress that came in it, and we got a new foam top sleep number for the master bedroom. I LOVE them. Best sleep I ever got, and so nice to be able to change the firmness on the fly if necessary and have different firmness for myself and my wife. And they don't break down as they age, as you can restore the firmness just by adding more air.
Just my experience and opinion, but if you like a really firm mattress, the sleep number will never get you there. It was on 99 and I could go no higher and it was still too soft. Perhaps the part that bothered me more than anything was when the young lady did the hotspots demo, I told her I could sleep on the floor comfortably and she said this bed was perfect for me. As stated previously, it went back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating