Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 10:33 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Just my experience and opinion, but if you like a really firm mattress, the sleep number will never get you there. It was on 99 and I could go no higher and it was still too soft. Perhaps the part that bothered me more than anything was when the young lady did the hotspots demo, I told her I could sleep on the floor comfortably and she said this bed was perfect for me. As stated previously, it went back.

I can't stand beds that could double as dance floors. I can't lay on the floor and be comfortable, even on carpet with pad. For me, the sleep number at about 65 is perfect. I can't sleep on the ground in a sleeping bag, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 10:37 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Our new home was delayed and we are just now mattress shopping. My husband loves the Temperpedic Cool Breeze Firm. I feel comfortable upon first lying down on it but after lying awhile I feel like I need to climb out of a hole. I move a lot during my sleep from side to side. This makes it hard. We tried some hybrids out as well. They seemed a bit soft. We tried one by King Mountain I think its called that seemed pretty comfortable. However it gets some poor reviews online. My issue with the Temperpedic is for the price which scares me, I would have to LOVE it and I just don't. So the verdict is still out.
I purchased a Loom & Leaf (Saatva brand) memory foam mattress, relaxed firm, and love it. They make a firm also. Bought solely online and delivered. With the 120 day test it time, plenty of time to decide if you live it. I kept mine. It doesn't come compressed and rolled up either, so no off-gassing issues. Way cheaper than Tempurpedic, to me an overpriced brand.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:54 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Is this brand sold in stores or online only?
Casper is similar and those can be test driven at West Elm stores, if you have one near you.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:25 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Just FYI - there are lots of articles regarding the worthlessness of going to a brick-and-mortar mattress store and just lying on the bed for a couple of minutes.

First of all, when you do that, you aren't actually sleeping on the bed, so stiffly and uncomfortably lying on a bed in front of strangers is certainly not an accurate representation of what the mattress will be used for.

And second, most mattresses, especially memory foam and latex mattresses, will soften somewhat over the course of the first few weeks of use, so lying there won't be the same as actually using the bed.

Therefore, I would never buy a mattress that didn't have a "sleep guarantee" of at least 30 nights. There is no way you can get a real "test drive" otherwise.

BTW, I have a 13-year old Tempurpedic and am in the market for a new mattress. I won't consider anything other than another foam mattress.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:31 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
We bought a Saatva mattress for our guest bedroom because of good reviews and pricing for what we needed. I slept up there when I had the flu to watch TV (only bedroom with a TV, so it's our "sick" room) and stay away from my husband and kids. It was really comfy. We needed a new master bedroom mattress and ended up going with the same one (luxury firm). So far so good. Now, long term I do like something a little softer and my husband likes a more firm mattress. We have a memory foam topper on our bed and the combo makes it heaven for both of us.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:55 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Check online for any custom mattress places in your area. The often have a variety of things, spring, memory foam, latex, various toppers, etc. and you can get an idea of what you like even if you don't buy anything. Lot's of times they are cheaper and better quality than ordinary retail mattresses though.

If there is nothing you can still go to any old furniture or mattress store to check things out. One rule of thumb is to error on the side of firm. You can ALWAYS add a topper to make it softer but you can't add anything to make it firmer. A good innerspring will hold up, it's always the comfort layers on top that fail because cheap material is used. Latex over springs is a good combo for a traditional feeling mattress. Solid latex is a pricey option but is often considered the gold standard. Memory foam is a love it/hate it type of thing, and cheap fillers that make those fluffy, puffy tops will break down pretty darn quick but could be fine for guest rooms if it's not used regularly.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
I still stand by my original comment/suggestion back on post #12. Best mattress I have ever slept on in my entire life, regardless of cost. The fact that the cost was maybe 15% of what a comparable mattress at a retail store or name brand costs these days, it's even that much more comfortable. Really makes you realize just how much markup there is in the mattress industry.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I actually would want to try that NC211 but the queen size weighs almost as much as I do - I'd have no way to get it upstairs, let alone get rid of my other mattress (I have a platform bed so I wouldn't need the box) - it'd be nice if they had a service to do this for you for some addition charge. Thanks for the post again though. I am in desperate need of a decent nights' sleep.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:57 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
No argument they’re heavy! Very substantial mattresses. But, they do come rolled up in a tube box, which is pretty amazing to see! They must have a heck of a machine that can basically compress the springs and roll it up all at the same time. It comes in a box, and the mattress is in a plastic wrap. Once you’ve unwrapped it, it comes to life. But it definitely takes two people to get where you want it.

I think they actually do have a “white glove” service delivery option, but don’t quote me on that. Given our locations are basically the same, I would recommend a company called Sterling Movers to come over and remove the old and setup the new. Incredibly affordable outfit! For less than $150, they basically moved our entire main floor of our home from the garage into the living areas earlier this year after I refinished our floors and didn’t have the strength left to bring back in the kitchen, dining, den, living, and office furniture. They also moved a neighbors baby grand piano from their house to the one next door for maybe $100. Considering the cost differences here, it’s still a HUGE savings to try the amazon bed. My in laws have a sleep number in their main house in NC, but bought a king size amazon bed like ours for their new beach house on the coast. While they admit the sleep number is simply unbeatable for them, the beach house bed is a close second for them. They’re approaching 70 years old. Makes my father in law angry when he thinks about the $6,000 he spent on one, and $350 he spent on the other, and sleeps perfectly fine on both!

Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Can't rep you again but thanks so much for the recommendation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating