Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,009 times

Advertisements

We purchased 44 boxes of laminate last year. It’s performance is terrible! I have scratches everywhere! There’s only 2 of us, and a former 15 year/9 lb dog. We are very clean, tidy, no water issues, no temp. Problems in our home... all the things the rep. Sent out to see our flooring was checking for in his report. Yet he writes a report that the laminate is rustic so scratches look Normal... WHAT? The scratches weren’t there when we had it installed, it’s from Normal daily life... I expected a flooring to last me 5-10 years? And the rep. Is saying this at less than 1 year? I hate this flooring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 02:53 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHurst27 View Post
We purchased 44 boxes of laminate last year. It’s performance is terrible! I have scratches everywhere! There’s only 2 of us, and a former 15 year/9 lb dog. We are very clean, tidy, no water issues, no temp. Problems in our home... all the things the rep. Sent out to see our flooring was checking for in his report. Yet he writes a report that the laminate is rustic so scratches look Normal... WHAT? The scratches weren’t there when we had it installed, it’s from Normal daily life... I expected a flooring to last me 5-10 years? And the rep. Is saying this at less than 1 year? I hate this flooring.

Yes laminate scratches. I like vinyl better but even with that you have to be careful which one you buy.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:52 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHurst27 View Post
Is saying this at less than 1 year?
I suggest you take out the manufacturer's written warranty and READ IT. See if the flooring is warranted against scratching.

If it's the contractor saying no, then escalate to the manufacturer's corporate executives.

If you still get a no, then you'll have to consider filing suit against the manufacture if there is an actual breach of warranty.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:29 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
I know it scratches if you drag furniture or chairs on it. Otherwise, I've had mine (Pergo-Max) for three years and don't see any scratches and I do have two little dogs. I had specifically asked the installers if the dogs' nails would cause scratching and they said no, but water was a no-no. So my dishwasher has overflowed a couple times and now a few planks are warped (but I knew that ahead of time). I think that "scratches look normal because it's rustic" is BS!!!

Old 01-14-2018, 02:35 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Pour a thin slab of concrete, color it, stamp a tile pattern, and never worry again.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:02 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
I am surprised because I have heard laminate recommended particularly for its resistance to scratches. I have vinyl in my kitchen and think it is really the best for that room. I plan to add/replace hardwood throughout the rest of the main floor as I get my house ready to sell (living, dining, powder room, foyer), but leave the vinyl in the kitchen/breakfast area. It is in good condition. I am worried it will turn off some buyers, even though it is truly the most practical kitchen flooring. Thoughts?

Old 01-14-2018, 06:07 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Pour a thin slab of concrete, color it, stamp a tile pattern, and never worry again.
Then pay the doc and chiro a boat load of money for back and leg pain from standing on a hard concrete floor.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:22 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
I am surprised because I have heard laminate recommended particularly for its resistance to scratches. I have vinyl in my kitchen and think it is really the best for that room. I plan to add/replace hardwood throughout the rest of the main floor as I get my house ready to sell (living, dining, powder room, foyer), but leave the vinyl in the kitchen/breakfast area. It is in good condition. I am worried it will turn off some buyers, even though it is truly the most practical kitchen flooring. Thoughts?
Is it the newer "luxury vinyl plank" flooring or old-school vinyl tile? I love the look and feel of some of the vinyl plank but if it's not that, I don't think vinyl has much appeal.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:10 AM

389 posts, read 596,206 times
As far as generic wood flooring options go, I prefer wood look tile. I have porcelain wood look tile in my bathrooms and haven't had any problems with it.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:04 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,909,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Is it the newer "luxury vinyl plank" flooring or old-school vinyl tile? I love the look and feel of some of the vinyl plank but if it's not that, I don't think vinyl has much appeal.
Yes, I don't expect it to be a selling feature, but in the price range of my neighborhood, it does not appear to have been a deal killer either. The Atlanta metro market is hot and my wallet is getting tired of being opened up to prepare to sell. Yesterday, noticed a woodpecker on my chimney siding. Add another repair to the list. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating