Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:07 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD2015 View Post
I love it, what a nice and cozy reading corner with the book shelves
Thank you and yes I love it, it's my space to chill out and read a book or just look out the window and day dream...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 06:19 PM

100 posts, read 68,480 times
Ok everyone, this is the latest arrangement, i think it looks good this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Accent tables by chair? Yes or no?-img_20180223_15388.jpg   Accent tables by chair? Yes or no?-img_20180223_440.jpg  

Old 02-23-2018, 06:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Yes, very nice.

The flowers and books on top are too much, but the table size and placement are good.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Thank you for the tips, so you are saying that i should leave the plant and basket and put the table by the lamp, if i put it on the right hand it would be hidden, and no one will see it, should i remove the decoration?
if you put decoration on the table, just make sure there is also enough room for a drink and maybe a book. So, the decoration would have to be small.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
I use a oversize basket with a glass top as an end table next my wind chair and works out great holding books and cup of coffee, it also houses throws for them colder nights next to the fire ~~~
I love this!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone, is the size of the table fine? they had an identical one but it was a bit bigger and taller.
I think taller would be good. Just sit in the chair like you normally would, and reach your hand out without moving in the chair. Can you place a drink down on a table comfortably? Now that I look at that table again, I think it's a tad short. So the bigger, taller one would probably be better.

By the way, I love that space. It's fun to see it in the other photo that shows the door, etc. I think it's more perfect than you give yourself credit for. All it needed was a table to put a drink on while sitting in the chair. Everything else was perfect. You did a great job with it. It's fun and cozy.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Take the pillows out of the chair. Nobody can sit in it.

Rule #1. Can someone go into that room and just sit down and put a drink down, without having to move anything or reach without having to be uncomfortable.

You're making something simple too complicated.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:28 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I love this!
Thanks~

Old 02-24-2018, 09:46 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Take the pillows out of the chair. Nobody can sit in it.

Rule #1. Can someone go into that room and just sit down and put a drink down, without having to move anything or reach without having to be uncomfortable.

You're making something simple too complicated.
This! The room looks lovely in photographs, but can anyone use it and be comfortable? Focus on what the room is for, not just artsy arrangement. As guests, we don't want to move your things in order to sit down. I picture myself standing there in a room full of chairs, not sure where I'm supposed to sit.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:45 AM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Agree with everyone who said you are overthinking this side table. Function first. You already know where it needs to go. Also, why cover up the table with decorations? Make sure it is functional. The side table is not a pedestal for decorations.

The only opportunities I see for improvements are lighting and indoor plant placement. Based on your pictures I’m guessing you already have an overhead source of ambient light. The harsh shadows cast by your plant and armchair in some of the pictures suggest to me these are coming from recessed lights in the ceiling or a really bright flushmount/semiflushmount. Maybe you can enlighten us about the sources ambient lighting in your living room.

Rethinking the lighting can enhance the space quite a bit. First, I just don’t like the tripod floor lamp next to the armchair. The base is too wide and it lights up the stairs in a funny way. I wonder if a flloor reading lamp with a narrower base will suit the armchair space better. Additionally, you will have more floor space for the side table. Second, the left arm of the sofa is really quite dim when the overhead lights (maybe?) aren’t turned on. You can really appreciate this in some of the photos where the only light sources come from the table top lamp and the tripod floor lamp. A source of light on the left arm of the sofa will help balance the lighting in the room when you want your overhead lights off.

Finally, the indoor plant. Is it a low light plant or fake? Just curious because I don’t think it will thrive in that dim corner if it isn’t fake or a low light plant. I do like a splash of greenery in that corner, but I’m not a huge fan of fake plants.

Overall I think the room is very cozy. Go with your gut and put the side table where it is most functional, but don’t destroy that functionality with decorations. When you have the time, I would definitely spend more time with lighting. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating