Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:04 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ11x View Post
Im redoing a small bedroom in my house. Currently trying to figure out which wall color to go for. Since it's small, im trying to find something lighter but I dont want white and dont want yellow. Im leaning toward a neutral of some sort so it wont matter too much what furniture and decor I put in there.

yet still, there are sooooo many colors to pick from. And worse yet, looking online or at swatches, when the color is actually on the wall it tends to look different.

I feel like im losing my mind. I dont know how people do it
You look at pictures online, with furniture similar to yours, and find a look you like. Go on HOUZZ and you will see what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 10:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Love that movie!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:11 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Two suggestions:
Look in your closet. What color clothing do you wear the most? This will tell you what colors you are more comfortable with. For example, I do not like, or look good in, warm colors, so I dont have them in my house.

Secondly, I almost always use shades of white on my walls. Bluish white, purplish white, greenish, grayish, etc. They all flow together with each other and they make a nice neutral palette for the room.

For a bedroom, which probably doesn’t need to blend with the rest of the house if you dont want it to, I’d get the bedding I love and then pick a wall color to go with it.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
I find bedrooms and bathrooms easier to choose colors for. For a bedroom pick a bedspread/comforter that you like. Use one of those colors for the walls.

Same with a bathroom. Choose towels with bands of color and use one for the wall color. Or a picture.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
I just go with whatever I like. There are a few colors I really love and it's obvious because they're all over my house. For the walls I tend to stick with pretty neutral stuff like beige and gray. I would rather replace a pillow than have to re-paint a room if I change my mind, so I accessorize with color and stick with pretty boring wall colors.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:42 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Accept the fact that your first choice will be wrong.

Paint is cheap.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:53 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
No, paint is getting more and more expensive, and it is a lot of work to change a room's color. Look at accessories. Don't pick an odd color that has nothing like it in the stores. I made that mistake. Go one shade lighter than you think. It will always look darker. I dislike off-white or light grey walls that end up looking like it's supposed to be white but is now dirty. I make sure there is some color in it, or if I ever do white I make sure it is a true white. I once washed all the walls in the little house I rented eons ago. It turned out the same, it was the dirty white color of the paint.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:03 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Accept the fact that your first choice will be wrong.

Paint is cheap.
actually, it used to be, and I always felt if you didnt liek the color, big deal, re paint it. Im a good painter and I like to paint.

But now I have Ralph Laurent River Rock paint thru out the apartment, OMG was it expensice, and the fist coat I did wrong, instead of going up and down nice and neat, it is supposed to be painted in arc's to give the walls the rock effcet. 3 coats later, I got it, I love it.

The apartment does now need to be repainted, its time. River Rock is discontinued so I will have to get reguar paint. I will go with Sherwin-Williams because I have connections because of where I work.

But paint, IMO, no way, is it now cheap.

Remember Martin paints, or Pergaments, that was when paint was cheap.....

************sigh*************

Old 04-29-2018, 05:40 PM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
As gentlearts said, look in your closet and go from there.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:19 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Two suggestions:
Look in your closet. What color clothing do you wear the most? This will tell you what colors you are more comfortable with. For example, I do not like, or look good in, warm colors, so I dont have them in my house.

Secondly, I almost always use shades of white on my walls. Bluish white, purplish white, greenish, grayish, etc. They all flow together with each other and they make a nice neutral palette for the room.

For a bedroom, which probably doesn’t need to blend with the rest of the house if you dont want it to, I’d get the bedding I love and then pick a wall color to go with it.
I disagree with that strategy. I wear lots of warm colors, but I steer clear of them for home colors. It's a completely different color scheme for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating