Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 12:04 AM
rbj rbj started this thread

14 posts, read 50,629 times

Advertisements

I'm buying a chandelier and I was woundering if any on knew the proper height it should hang from the table. I was also wondering since the chandelier will not be round but will be straight, what is the proper space that should be left on either sides of table’s edge in length.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:12 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,555 times
4 feet from the table!

Old 03-27-2008, 04:41 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
The size of the chandelier is roughly determined by the room size. Take the length and width of the room, and convert to inches. Ex: a room is 12' by 14'= 26', so your chandelier should be about 26 inches in diameter. I'm assuming the same might be true for a straight one, but I guess you just need to eyeball it and see if the formula works. Is it one of those Pottery Barn or Restoration Harware chandeliers? I bet they could tell you how long to get.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:13 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Gentlearts is correct- that is the guideline for a traditional fixture. Your hanging height from the bottom of the fixture to the table top is 30". Don't know where Historic got their measurement.
As far as length for your fixture- I'd go 1'/ 1-1/2' shorter than the table. That would leave ample room for heads when getting up from the table.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,375 times
Thumbs up Please see below the correct info for hanging a chandelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbj View Post
I'm buying a chandelier and I was woundering if any on knew the proper height it should hang from the table. I was also wondering since the chandelier will not be round but will be straight, what is the proper space that should be left on either sides of table’s edge in length.

Thanks
On sizing the chandelier to the room: for use over a table: Divide the width of the table by 2 and add 4", so a 48" wide table wants a 28" diameter fixture. Like most rules, these are meant to be bent or broken.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:28 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,724 times
Measure from the top of the table to the ceiling. Subtract 24 inches; then subtract the height of your light fixture. Make sure you have a length of chain at least this size. If your electrical box is not placed where you want the chandelier to hang, you can install a heavy-duty ceiling hook with a toggle bolt and swag the chain and wire from the box to the hook and down. Ask for someone to hold the light up and allow you to visually check the placement.

Jeanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating