Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 05:47 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times

Advertisements

Home advisers is a scam. They do not vet their contractors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPeh42cfqcc&t=285s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 10:40 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
Angies List no longer gives you a review of contractors. It just has you type in your project and allows your name and phone number to go out to all the cons and telemarketers that want your name and phone number.
The system -Which is exactly what Home Advisors does-is useless to me. I want to find local workmen who have references in the area. I don't want my phone blowing up with strangers calling me. Hate the new system Hope it fails as a business model. Bad enough when contractors change their DBA names when they choose to keep ahead of the law and the tax man.
Join nextdoor.com. It is a website for neighbors where you need an invite and your address (they don't seem to use that info for anything but to be sure you are in the right area). Here you can ask other neighbors in your neighborhood and surrounding areas for references. There are some local sponsored ads on there as well which I guess pays for the website.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:49 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I signed up for Angie's List about 5 yrs ago when I bought an out of state property that needed some work. It was a great resource then. But yes a couple years ago I was looking for something simple, some car detailing, and it was a mess. I really could not find information that would lead me to pick someone to use. And of course once you signed up, with the automatic renewals, it was/is up to you to discover it had become useless and to find a way to cancel your subscription.

Thanks for the link that shows they are tied to Homeadvisor, another site I have found to be unreliable.
All you needed to do was call them and they removed the auto-renewal.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:12 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
I am a contractor and would not touch one of these places with a 10 foot pole.If you google my name Carpenters and my town I come up saying I do all kinds of crap like decks with a picture of a vinyl sided house.They call me all the time wanting me to update my listing HAHA $$$$$$ I work by word of mouth.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:04 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Huh? I look at Angie's List frequently - it definitely DOES still show reviews. I just put a review up myself. I was aware that it was no longer charging the consumer, but I have been a member for years, and it still works the way it always has, for me.
Me too. In fact I just tried it again before posting as I thought maybe it all changed. We have been using Angie's List for a few months in particular as we are selling our house.
We found better luck with contractors actually showing up for estimates and even (oh my imagine this) giving the estimates. We did select a painter who we used to paint several rooms in our house as well as remove wallpaper and they were very good.
We have used them for other smaller jobs and have been quite pleased.
We tend to sort by # of reviews and of course quality of reviews.

We have a few more things to set up and we are using Angie's List again.
As with anything, a bit of common sense goes a long way.

I know I had tried another site, I am not sure if it was thumbtack or homeadvisor but also had the same experience with getting calls immediately. That was a bit unnerving, but they never called again once I said I was not interested and it was a mistake.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:29 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
All you needed to do was call them and they removed the auto-renewal.
ha! that happened to me years ago. I called them and they said there's nothing they could do, it was in the fine print..

I was part of a class-action suit against them and received a whopping $5 check after they settled the suit.

I tried home advisors; got tons of calls, especially from sears, which I did not want to deal with.

the best was thumbtack; you don't have to provide a phone number, just an email address. I hired several different contractors through them. the nice thing is, you receive at least three actual quotes ($) and can then decide whom to contact.

nextdoor can be good, also, depending on how active your neighborhood is. I just found someone to do a fix on my laptop from nextdoor.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:40 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
ha! that happened to me years ago. I called them and they said there's nothing they could do, it was in the fine print..

I was part of a class-action suit against them and received a whopping $5 check after they settled the suit.

I tried home advisors; got tons of calls, especially from sears, which I did not want to deal with.

the best was thumbtack; you don't have to provide a phone number, just an email address. I hired several different contractors through them. the nice thing is, you receive at least three actual quotes ($) and can then decide whom to contact.

nextdoor can be good, also, depending on how active your neighborhood is. I just found someone to do a fix on my laptop from nextdoor.
You didn't talk to the right person. They absolutely removed the auto-renewal if requested.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Angie's List, and I still use it.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:02 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Home advisers is a scam. They do not vet their contractors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPeh42cfqcc&t=285s
And did you vet this Youtube video before sharing this info? I have no affiliation with HomeAdvisor, and I'm not defending them, but just because some random dudes on the interwebz says something is bad, that doesn't mean it's true.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:08 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
just because some random dudes on the interwebz says something is bad, that doesn't mean it's true.
Especially when it takes them 20 minutes to say it.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:06 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,672 times
I did manage to log back into the Angies list and get to the reviews and lists. When you first open it up the search box gives you the job description that puts your info out for grabs. If you go to the alphabetic list of names you get to a different spot.
Home Advisors is the one that runs your name out to all the contractors. Angies list will also do that if you plug in the job rather then a category. I am not crazy about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating