Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 12:51 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times

Advertisements

I just bought this wallpaper ...

... but not for WALLS, rather to cover the backs of a couple of bookcases, like this (although I usually have BOOKS on my bookcases!) ... the wallpaper I bought is a bit different, but the same "tree" theme ...

Have any of you done this? I've seen some online posts and it doesn't look TOO difficult, even for non-crafty me! What have you used wallpaper for besides walls?

(The irony is that I normally HATE wallpaper -- in fact I'm taking a bunch of it DOWN in my house! But I loved the trees. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 01:00 PM

14,473 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I like it.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:17 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I think it is interesting. Be sure to keep us updated.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:19 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
...even for non-crafty me!

What? Seriously?
Honey, you got so many projects going on when do you sleep!?

Old 08-16-2018, 05:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
The biggest obstacle is that you have chosen a paper with a pattern so that its placement is VERY important.

I had a friend who did this with fabric, and she simply measured and cut pieces of cardboard to fit between each shelf, wrapped/covered them with the fabric (or paper in your case) and then just fit them into the shelf space against the back. YOu can add some double-sided tape or other kind of easy to remove adhesive if you want, but you don't have to.

That way you can better control the pattern placement and also don't have to do anything permanent to the bookshelf.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:20 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What? Seriously?
Honey, you got so many projects going on when do you sleep!?
LOL, yeah I know, they all sort of happened at once! Hopefully by Thanksgiving I'll have a workable kitchen, if all the stars align, and maybe my new front porch too (well, the foundation and decking for it, anyway!). I KNOW the laundry room will have been moved upstairs because the dryer is being delivered tomorrow and the gas company will be making all the connections for my new items on 8/30!! (Then hopefully the propane SUPPLIER will be able to do the final checks the next day. Crazy, crazy propane system we have up here. )

But I am so NOT good at creative things, like crafts. I have 2 sisters who are and a mom who is amazingly creative ... but I, alas, did not get that gene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The biggest obstacle is that you have chosen a paper with a pattern so that its placement is VERY important.

I had a friend who did this with fabric, and she simply measured and cut pieces of cardboard to fit between each shelf, wrapped/covered them with the fabric (or paper in your case) and then just fit them into the shelf space against the back. YOu can add some double-sided tape or other kind of easy to remove adhesive if you want, but you don't have to.

That way you can better control the pattern placement and also don't have to do anything permanent to the bookshelf.
Birdie, what a great idea about the cardboard! That would have never occurred to me (see "non-crafty me" upthread ) so thank you!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:42 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
I have only put up wallpaper a couple times, but the most recent time the instructions advised us to roll the paste onto the wall like paint. I used a regular paint roller to do it, instead of putting the paste onto the paper. Wow, it was much easier than I remember wallpaper being. So, if the paper is not pre-pasted I'd recommend trying that.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:37 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I haven't jumped on the "wallpaper is back!" train, but for a small accent like that, I think that should look good.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:00 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
I just saw something like the paper backing a bookcase on a tv show and poked around here and now see this beautiful one with trees. I'm thinking of a bookcase we have in storage. Some sort of seaside-ish paper and narrow wood edging strips on the sides in a rope pattern. Or, maybe even more casual with real rope. Don't have the full picture yet. But it's very nice to see these beautiful trees.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:05 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I am laughing because I have bookcases in my great room that came with the house. I am not a book collector and really hate the stupid things, but If I were to remove them the room would look ridiculous. There 2 on each side of the fireplace and they start above a base cabinet and then go up 5 feet tall. Only last week I was brainstorming what I could buy that is about 32 inch wide and 5 feet tall to put behind each, just as birdiebell suggested. I need something that is thin enough to allow the shelves to be put back, yet "stiff" enough to hold fabric taut. Short of sheet metal, I have not come up with anything I can gift wrap, so I am at a standstill. My shelves can be adjusted or to remove them all, so I need one continuous piece.

A friend suggested the spray adhesive tack but I am afraid it might damage the back of the actual bookcase or at the very least become difficult to remove after time. In your case, that might work since you have small area, but too are with birdeebell the cardboard might be the way to go.

Too funny that you just posted this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating