Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:06 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,200 times

Advertisements

We moved into our town home 6 months ago. It was a flipped bank owned property, so we got it well below market value. They cheapened out with the floors, leaving the original bathroom floors and put in brand new carpet, which isn't a huge issue for us, and put in brand new vinyl flooring in the kitchen. Master we put tile in and the powder room will be getting tile as well over the winter. I actually thought the kitchen was tile at first, only to find out it's vinyl that looks like tile. It has faux grout built in as well.

So few questions, is vinyl durable? Meaning will it last 10 years without looking like crap when we decide to sell? Would this be a huge turnoff for buyers? I know what these sell for, so don't want to go overboard with the upgrades, although we got this for a steal.

We considered adding the tile when we do the powder room, but is it worth it? If only bc, well, we think it looks better and when we sell people will like it too.

I wanted to add, we have a dog who still has accidents sometimes in the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 08:54 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Shoot the dog.
Install real hardwood flooring.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Sure install hardwoods, if the townhouse is worth it, and you can afford it.

In all honesty, I’d have to say, if you love tile and can afford it, put til in. Sheet vinyl is considered low end. A step above would be luxury vinyl planks, then tile or hardwoods. But if your townhouse sells for $300,000 or less, I doubt it is worth it to pur hardwoods in.

On the other hand, if you love hardwoods, and you would like to live there for the next 15-20 years, then put them in now, and enjoy them.

Of course, I don’t know what other things need attention. If your kitchen is quite dated and inefficient, I think addressing that is more important than changing out all the hard surfaces.

Prioritize.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:45 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
I'll assume that the vinyl was not put over any "original" flooring- and vinyl was the original flooring choice.

If that's the case, I'd stick with the vinyl until it "needs" replacement. Don't "fix" what ain't broke! When the 10yr anniversary rolls around it maybe time for a more luxurious flooring, or just another round of sheet flooring.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:21 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,233 times
I would keep the vinyl til just before you sell then I would tile a kitchen. For me I would never put hardwood in a kitchen, I prefer tile.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:53 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I'll assume that the vinyl was not put over any "original" flooring- and vinyl was the original flooring choice.

If that's the case, I'd stick with the vinyl until it "needs" replacement. Don't "fix" what ain't broke! When the 10yr anniversary rolls around it maybe time for a more luxurious flooring, or just another round of sheet flooring.

i agree with this, keep it until it needs to be replaced, (since you state its brand new) might as well get use out if it, unless of course you simply hate it.

I do not agree with the poster above to put tile when you sell
whos to say youll pick out a tile the next potential buyer will want,
enjoy today, were not guaranteed tomorrow

Old 08-20-2018, 11:36 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
If you have a dog that has accidents, I wouldn't put in a wood floor. In fact, I question my sanity when we decided to install a wood floor in the kitchen.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:19 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
We have wood (red oak) in our kitchen area, has been there since built in 2000. Previous owners raised 2 kids and had many dogs. It didn't need to be refinished for nearly 18 years, and not a single board damaged by "accidents" or the sort. Just worn out finish in the highest traffic areas of the house. I would not hesitate to put wood in a kitchen. Just need to make sure it's sealed and protected appropriately.

I agree with nightcrawler - do what you want to enjoy it today, because you never know about tomorrow. True, you never want to be the most expensive house (or in this situation, townhouse) on the block, but sounds like you have a good bit of runway to travel before you have to worry about that! But on the other hand, I also agree with not fixing what isn't broken! If you like the vinyl that's there now, keep it until you're ready to replace it. Focus on the things that need the most attention first. Hit the "needs", then come back and hit the "wants"..

Old 08-20-2018, 12:25 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We have wood (red oak) in our kitchen area, has been there since built in 2000. Previous owners raised 2 kids and had many dogs. It didn't need to be refinished for nearly 18 years, and not a single board damaged by "accidents" or the sort. Just worn out finish in the highest traffic areas of the house. I would not hesitate to put wood in a kitchen. Just need to make sure it's sealed and protected appropriately.

I agree with nightcrawler - do what you want to enjoy it today, because you never know about tomorrow. True, you never want to be the most expensive house (or in this situation, townhouse) on the block, but sounds like you have a good bit of runway to travel before you have to worry about that! But on the other hand, I also agree with not fixing what isn't broken! If you like the vinyl that's there now, keep it until you're ready to replace it. Focus on the things that need the most attention first. Hit the "needs", then come back and hit the "wants"..
Our floor is sealed and protected Brazilian Cherry. Sorry, but I still wouldn't put wood in a kitchen again, especially with pets. The previous homeowners had large dogs and the floors showed it. No accidents, but tons of scratches. I don't want to deal with refinishing while I'm in the home for awhile, so I just suck it up when it comes to scratches. I also had a water incident and we had to remove planks since it was a slow leak that wasn't apparent until the planks started to warp. I'd much prefer wood-look tile now.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:45 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,555,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Our floor is sealed and protected Brazilian Cherry. Sorry, but I still wouldn't put wood in a kitchen again, especially with pets. The previous homeowners had large dogs and the floors showed it. No accidents, but tons of scratches. I don't want to deal with refinishing while I'm in the home for awhile, so I just suck it up when it comes to scratches. I also had a water incident and we had to remove planks since it was a slow leak that wasn't apparent until the planks started to warp. I'd much prefer wood-look tile now.

I can't argue about the scratches! Let me clarify my earlier comment about not a single board damaged by accidents..... We were loaded with scratches, but no warped or rotten boards. But certainly had a lot of scratches in what polyurethane remained after that many years and usage. Floor also had a dark red stain (almost like cherry) that showed quite a lot of imperfections from wear & tear.

Now that wood-looking tile? That stuff is really cool looking! I could definitely see that as being a great choice in a kitchen! But even then, it's grout issues after a few years. Hard to clean it out is my understanding after the sealant wears off. Not sure how to maintain it as easily. But, nothing lasts forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating