Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I dunno. I see mirrors hung above mantels all the time in traditional houses and historical houses. Then again, they usually had interesting ceilings to reflect!

I wish my sister would get the memo about mirrors needing to reflect something beautiful. She has two pretty mirrors on each wall on the sides of her fireplace, but one is reflecting the kitchen and the other is perfectly reflecting a refrigerator.

Drives me crazy, but .
They don't bother me as long as they reflect something interesting. Sometimes, especially in historic homes, they reflect a fabulous light fixture and that's fantastic.

But I don't care if it's in a historical home or my next door neighbor's home - if they don't reflect something cool, I personally think they are misplaced. I mean, generally speaking of course. If the room tends to be dark on that side, and the mirror reflects windows across the room, for instance - that could look good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 10:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Speaking of light fixtures, today we get to go choose a few light fixtures as well as cabinet pulls - yeehaw!

Old 12-05-2018, 10:45 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,404,404 times
Someone once called out Khloe Kardashian's famous designer for placing a mirror that reflected absolutely nothing.

He's pompous and overbearing in personality, so it was rather funny.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:40 AM

319 posts, read 279,192 times
I loved those huge floor to ceiling framed mirrors propped up against wall to reflect some light here and there. But I already have the antique round (sort of big, too) above the ikea alex desk/table reflecting a window upstairs and two really gorgeous trees, so that's out of the question.

i have always liked the look of the tall leaning mirrors, and it could always be moved elsewhere (please be sure it is correctly anchored to wall).
Quote:
Decorative lighted mirrors for a Scandinavian style of house
from what I could see and I am not sure which you were considering - would they cast any true lighting in a room? They look a bit like a bathroom/dressing room type mirror, to me. I could be wrong.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:44 AM

388 posts, read 473,625 times
Just to play opposition here -
I hate shiny, cold surfaces like stainless steel refrigerators and mirrors.

I like a comfortable and inviting look, especially in the living room and bedrooms. I don't mean cozy, like country cottage, but warm and relaxing.

One mirror in the living room to reflect daylight in a dark corner or side of a room is lovely. A lovely frame: even better.

And as I age, mirrors are less and less my friends.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 560 times
I feel like mirrors, like everything else, come and go in popularity. Honestly, if they are executed right they have the potential to add so much character to a space. Only problem is that you have to worry about it starting to look trashy...there is a very fine line. I do agree with mirrors reflecting light and making the space seem larger. There have been a few instances where I myself have added mirrors to smaller spaces to make them appear larger and to reflect light to make it brighter in the space as well. As for them replacing regular art pieces, I think there needs to be a mix. The eye needs interesting things to keep interested!

Old 05-11-2019, 12:12 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
I once owned a house that had two mirrors flanked the entry way to the hallway in the living room. The mirrors went from the floor to the ceiling. It really made the room look so much bigger. One time, my poor kitty was running and didn't realized that it was a mirror and bonked her head. She stepped back and you could tell she was seeing stars and wondering what happened.

A few years ago, I found the house for sale on-line and they had pics of it. The mirrors were gone. My guess is that someone did what my cat did and broke them.

Cat

Old 05-11-2019, 05:36 PM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
Not a fan. I'd see a reflection of something moving and think it was someone else in the room.

and whatever they reflect, there's 2 of. If you hang 2 paintings, you've got 2 landscapes, for example. If you hang a mirror, you've got the same landscape twice.

to each their own.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:47 AM

105 posts, read 85,714 times
My house doesn't get a lot of natural light. I love mirrors because some of my rooms would look gloomy without them. My rooms are also small, and mirrors also make them look and feel larger. I've been decorating with mirrors for the twenty years we have lived here, so I guess I'm glad the trends have caught up with me.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:59 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySam16 View Post
I loved those huge floor to ceiling framed mirrors propped up against wall to reflect some light here and there. But I already have the antique round (sort of big, too) above the ikea alex desk/table reflecting a window upstairs and two really gorgeous trees, so that's out of the question.

i have always liked the look of the tall leaning mirrors, and it could always be moved elsewhere (please be sure it is correctly anchored to wall).
from what I could see and I am not sure which you were considering - would they cast any true lighting in a room? They look a bit like a bathroom/dressing room type mirror, to me. I could be wrong.
I was just thinking this too. I’ve been watching a show from Chicago called Windy City Rehab, and in the last one she used an enormous 100 yr old framed mirror between two windows. It really worked, despite the fact that the room was fairly small. It was a “go big or go home” moment. Since the show deals with old homes, Sh has used old pier mirrors several times.

https://www.hgfandom.com/wp-content/...er-150x150.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating